Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy Ferrari 250 LM 1:24

Funkychiken

started this build about 1 year or so ago.

It was for a group build, the deadline was fast approaching, and I screwed up the gloss on the finish coat, and it has been dead ever since.

I'm reviving it now, so posting the kit contents and the look I was going for (road going version).

It's a very basic kit,so the body and interior have to be top notch...

IMG_6022.thumb.JPG.7ab6ba0ceefd4606b83f8250_LM_Street.thumb.JPG.5fdcafc8e746db86IMG_6041.thumb.JPG.dec8a0468f20cce142f30IMG_6040.thumb.JPG.78a019be02137f4d3536bIMG_6023.thumb.JPG.a506947433010a54efcf9IMG_6024.thumb.JPG.76b919d55671e8a0c9a62IMG_6025.thumb.JPG.fc4f03aafa185f2969ceeIMG_6026.thumb.JPG.bbe5c72969d5b11224611IMG_6027.thumb.JPG.615a3bcb334333ca83402IMG_6038.thumb.JPG.1b1d2a56a7b9353b5674c

IMG_6039.JPG

Really simple kit, and goes together nicely.

Stripped most of the chrome parts, shown here is the wheels stripped ready for airbrushing.

Shown also is the gear gate & gear stick. Both stripped, then primed, base coat was alclad II black & alclad II chrome to finish.

The interior was sprayed with alclad black base & aluminium to finish, but it textured up due to the vortexes when airbrushing into corners, this always happens to me in interior tubs - especially the grey primer.

I was going to cut holes in the sides of the tub, and add a pull chord door opener - like the reference photos, but couldn't be bothered in the end.

Seats are basic, but finished, wanted to add seat belts, but again, just wanted to finish this bad boy...

Seats.jpg

wheels0.jpg

Steering1.jpg

interior3.jpg

gearstick1.jpg

gearstick3.jpg

Edited by Funkychiken
doubled up photos

• 2 weeks later...

hanks for the kind comments!So the original reason this got shelved is that the paint work did not go so well.

First time I had tried to use Zero Paints 2K clear.

I was spraying over Tamiya Red from an aerosol can (it was left for 2 weeks to dry)

It turns out that the recommended 15% thinner doesn't work, since I have used 40 to 50% thinner, and this stuff sprays really well. But it takes so long to spray, I find that the 2K starts to go-off in the airbrush after the 3rd coat. Anyway, the paint finish was awful, as seen in the photos, I spent (on & off) a couple of months sanding it out - which is where I am today, I have recently masked off a few areas to re-spray - I had some of that Tamiya red left in the can, they are in inconspicuous areas, so I will give it a light dusting...

When it's dry, I'll start to finish up, I'm still undecided as to whether to cut out the door sides...

2K_3.thumb.jpg.ec0d555e223048bf01cb804712K_1.thumb.jpg.0fcfa5862cba1b5cdc844050c2K_2.thumb.jpg.0b5be297e8f5363c40c47b7f5

Re-spay is here - where I had burned through the finish coats:

Respray_2.thumb.jpg.810729d959ed6bcde4fbRespray.thumb.jpg.794be8255880786dd4704b

Edited by Funkychiken

Hi Atin, Really nice touches you've made to the base kit.  With the color you've chosen and the PE parts yet to be added, I'm sure this will be a sweet looking car when all is done.  I also have to commend your efforts on the paint.  You saved a car that I didn't think could be saved.  Looks sharp!   cheers, tim

Hi Atin, Really nice touches you've made to the base kit.  With the color you've chosen and the PE parts yet to be added, I'm sure this will be a sweet looking car when all is done.  I also have to commend your efforts on the paint.  You saved a car that I didn't think could be saved.  Looks sharp!   cheers, tim

Thanks Tim

Great save on the paint! 

Thanks Mr Cabdriver

The paint work is no where near perfect, but it's on par with the best I've ever done. I have lost one car body stripping & sanding back, so I wanted to try and save this one by polishing out...

• 3 weeks later...

I mocked up the car and thought you can see the interior. So I've cut out the door sides. Ill be adding some simple belts too.

Used a dremel, and was hoping to not completely ruin or melt anything. And it seems to have worked. Not perfect, but it is better with the holes than without.

I'm also in the process of making some floor mats. Will be flocking then soon...

20161016_163913.jpg

20161016_155748.jpg

20161016_151255.jpg

I made this kit some time ago but from the original boxing - Sunny:

250lm%2Bbox%2B2.jpg

250lm%2Bbox%2B1.jpg

The decals were absolutely shot so I had to print up the orange dot and the Ferrari badge myself and make the number roundels from vinyl circles with laser printed numbers in them. Great fun (not!). Here is my finished example.

IMG_2467.jpg

I am always scared of the chrome edges so I tend to leave them off - I work on the basis that if I screw up, then it looks worse than not having the chrome in the first place!

For the full story, check out my blog pages about this:

Blog Page 1 - http://bit.ly/2e4SIMo

Blog Page 2 - http://bit.ly/2ehJaJk

Edited by Lonh Haired David

That is such a beautiful car, good job on recovering the paint.

I made this kit some time ago but from the original boxing - Sunny:

The decals were absolutely shot so I had to print up the orange dot and the Ferrari badge myself and make the number roundels from vinyl circles with laser printed numbers in them. Great fun (not!). Here is my finished example.

I am always scared of the chrome edges so I tend to leave them off - I work on the basis that if I screw up, then it looks worse than not having the chrome in the first place!

For the full story, check out my blog pages about this:

Blog Page 1 - http://bit.ly/2e4SIMo

Blog Page 2 - http://bit.ly/2ehJaJk

Thanks for the comments and hints, and thanks for the links to your site!

Decals on this kit are awful too...

• 1 month later...

Making slow progress.

I messed the mats up, so had to strip the carpet flocking and white glue, but now they are re-sprayed & ready for flocking again.

The body has been embellished, I was going to use a wax on it, but I'm worried about getting that stuff in the crevices again, so I'll probably leave it as is. The hand painted silver isn't great, but I think the photo's exaggerate the poor quality!

the application of PE for grilles is taking time, and the super glue (which was applied to the underside) has crept through and left serious witness marks all over the place, the white stuff rubs out, but the lightened area seems to be a permanent... I guess I should have used white glue...

Front.jpg

Super glue marks.jpg

Whole body.jpg

• 4 weeks later...