Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Chevy Pro Stock - Finished up, off to the Drag Racing section

Tyler62990

So with my Hudson out of the way, I'm starting yet another build off car due by late September. I just got my replacement hood from Revell, am still waiting on resin parts and just started a new job that's taking up my time, so this could get interesting. Anyway, here's the kit.

IMG_20160902_141854299_1.jpg

There's really not too much to this kit, so that could work out in my favor with my schedule. However, I want to build a nice, clean model, not a glue bomb. My biggest gripes are the carbs, awful wheels and the hollow (what?) bucket seats. Good news is, the hard part of deciding what to do is over. Now to make it happen. 

The first thing I did was cleaned up the mold lines and deepened the almost non-existent body/panel lines. After that, the huge holes for the hood hinges (say that 5 times fast lol) were filled in. After a coat of Tamiya primer, I taped off the paint theme I'm going with. To save time, I intend to just clear over the Tamiya primer. The stuff lays down so nice it's almost glossy anyway. 

IMG_20160902_021949477.jpg

IMG_20160902_141802680.jpg

Now for those buckets. I've never encountered a problem like this, but I think I came up with an ok solution. 

IMG_20160902_061150156.jpg

It was pretty simple, actually. I just glued the seats to some card stock...

IMG_20160902_061558525.jpg

Then cut them out. It's not perfect, but for someone with limited materials on hand at the moment, it'll do just fine. At least they're not hollow anymore lol

IMG_20160902_062646921.jpg

Edited by Tyler62990

Looking good, what are you going to paint it?

Funny you should ask, that's why I came here to post lol. The build is for a pink car themed build off due for October. My guess is for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Anyway, I was going to go with a 50's style pastel pink, but I want this one to be kinda flashy. That's where the Testor's Electric Pink Lacquer came in. It's so bright it fools the camera into thinking it's red. 

I also robbed the clear hood scoop from the 55 Chevy Street Machine (Badman) kit. I wanted to go with a flat hood, but the dual carb topped blower was acting like a hood prop. I would've loved to use the prostock style scoop included in the kit, but go figure I had to lose it. The snorkel one, also in the kit, just wasn't doing it for me.

Well, that's what I've got for today, maybe more tonight. Time is ticking on this one.

Thanks guys. Call me spoiled by newer kits, but one of the things about this kit that I don't like is the simplicity. A lot of the parts have a cartoonish appearance that just doesn't do anything for me, but it was an $8 kit so I won't complain too much lol. The biggest headache is sourcing parts since this is a 1/24 scale. At least I have a solution for these ridiculous carbs.

These replacement Holley's from VCG Resins will be a nice replacement. They're very nice, detailed castings and pretty decently sized, solving every problem I had. Now to paint and plumb them.

Aside from scavenging for parts, I got some build time in. This is the engine so far. I added a MAD distributor and cut the the kit oil filler neck up to make a breather cap for the valve covers instead. Those Holley's are gonna look awesome up on that blower.

Not too much to report on, but after raiding every parts bag I have, I finally have a wheel set to use. Like I said, this being a 1/24 scale really limits the amount of parts that will actually look halfway decent. The fronts are the kit tires with wheels from the Monogram 39 Chevy. Rears are one of the many spare wheels from the AMT Lil Vicky kit, mixed with some of their big MH slicks. I think they'll look much better than the kit turbine-looking wheels. 

I assume you have all the "Champ 500's" or ("Gamblers"as they're sometimes called) you're using for the front? If so, you might consider sanding the backs off the "crager" 66 chevy II wheels and gluing the dish to the Gamblers to give them the deep pro street look to the rear wheels. The wheels would all match too. Just a suggestion, love the paint!

I assume you have all the "Champ 500's" or ("Gamblers"as they're sometimes called) you're using for the front? If so, you might consider sanding the backs off the "crager" 66 chevy II wheels and gluing the dish to the Gamblers to give them the deep pro street look to the rear wheels. The wheels would all match too. Just a suggestion, love the paint!

Thanks man. Unfortunately I used them as the rears on my 39 gasser build, leaving me with these two. I've always had a thing for mismatched wheels, though. I'm weird like that lol

After scrounging up the parts, I finally have the engine done. This kit has a lot of very simplified parts, and the engine is no exception. After a bit of work, I think it's going to look fine now. I substituted the kit carbs for a beautiful set of Holley's from VCG Resins and plumbed them with solder and seed beads for fittings. The T fitting was made from two pieces of styrene rod. This one lacks the fuel pump on the lower passenger side, so a simple piece of rod to imitate a modern mechanical pump was added. With the addition of a MAD distributor, some throttle linkage and a image off of Google for the molded in oil filter, I now have an engine I won't regret stuffing down in the car.

Well I'm cruising right along on this one. I spent the last two days adding the little things that transform this one from a toy to a nice, respectable model. Here's where I'm at...

IMG_20160914_015836118.jpg

No drag car is complete without a tach. After raiding every parts bag I had, I turned up nothing, so out came some scrap plastic rod/tubing I had laying around. It's a bit big, and the base didn't clear the windshield so it had to be removed, but with the body on it looks fine. Well, good enough for me anyway lol. A spare steering wheel from a Revell 32 Ford was added to give it more of a race ready look.

IMG_20160914_023555019.jpg

The kit also supplied a 2 point roll bar that didn't sit well with me. Once again, out came the same scrap plastic used to make the idiot light on the tach. While the paint was drying on that, I decided to make a harness out of masking tape and some plastic sheet. After the extra two bars were glued into place for the roll bar, a bit of heat shrink tubing to simulate padding finished it off.

IMG_20160914_143516068.jpg

I decided the engine bay had to be spiced up, so an MSD box was added along with a coil made from a piece of spare radiator hose. Everything was wired and dressed up with some reduced images from Google. A brake cylinder will be added later.

IMG_20160914_143607629.jpg

I also got the paint polished out and the BMF applied. Well, mostly anyway. I still have to do the door handles

IMG_20160915_030416891.jpg

You have to love when you get so far in a build, only to find a crucial piece missing. The chrome hood trim closes a big gap between the hood and grill, so something had/has to be done. I decided a piece of plastic stock will have to do. It's not perfect, but after some BMF it shouldn't be TOO noticeable. I hope not anyway as I'm really liking the way this build is going.

Well that's all for now. Hopefully I'll have more tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tyler62990

Thanks man.

So I got a bit more done last night. Most of my time was spent sanding and polishing the hood and fixing that missing trim piece. Aside from that, I got the brake cylinder and some T bolts added and the final mockup done. Aside from a few small details, the BMF on the door handles and the decals, this one is almost done.

Thanks a lot guys.

What is that fourth pulley on the drive belt that looks like it's not connected to anything?

You know, you got me there. I always manage to overlook something. Maybe I'll throw an alternator there if I can find one and fit it in. I'm too far in to tear it all apart now