Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der beetle bus build off

disconovaman

Finished mine today. More pics will be in the 'Under Glass" section if interested. Mods include Removed windshield section, flared the rear wheel wells, striped some chrome, drilled out for tail lights, added some side pipes, cut down the injectors, made roll bar and modified the interior a bit, added windshield from the parts box.

I cut the roof to follow suit with the body and chassis mods. Here's the two bodies side by side to show the length added and the difference:

Test fitted into place on the body:

and a couple of overall mock up shots. I've got lots of clean up to do from this point but it's all a doable thang.

Edited by mustang1989

I'm almost to the end of my build. The seat belt hardware came yesterday, now to find the patience to put all those little pieces together. This should be the last difficult thing I need to do before buttoning this thing up.

I sanded and buffed the dash to remove any brush strokes, and I made the glass for the front and rear windshields along with what were originally vent windows. I forgot to clear the edges of the windshield pieces which I made from .015 clear styrene. Now I have to find a way to hide the white edges while they're mounted to the cab. Sometimes I amaze myself with how stupid I can be.

Gettin close,,,,,,,,,

I'm almost to the end of my build. The seat belt hardware came yesterday, now to find the patience to put all those little pieces together. This should be the last difficult thing I need to do before buttoning this thing up.

I sanded and buffed the dash to remove any brush strokes, and I made the glass for the front and rear windshields along with what were originally vent windows. I forgot to clear the edges of the windshield pieces which I made from .015 clear styrene. Now I have to find a way to hide the white edges while they're mounted to the cab. Sometimes I amaze myself with how stupid I can be.

Gettin close,,,,,,,,,

PA190976%20Medium_zpsrvtd2ttg.jpg

Best use of this kit hands down. Well, at least my favorite.

Not to sound like an adolescent teen girl but OMG! No kidding, that is Cool cobraman!

Here's my latest attempt or I should say my bodyman/fabricator! He has taken it to the next level! I chopped it and he's narrowed it and raked it more than what I done to it!  The plan is to have the top hinge up from the front. And were gonna build the wing to look like a cape... because I'm going full on Superman theme now! I hope to get it back soon to start paint and decals.

20161028_131106.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I  just realized that I have yet to build one of these buses with the engine on the inside of the body. I have another one in the works and my plan is too have a VW pancake engine in the back. But here is the "Sunken Treasure" in case anyone missed it. 20160827_185324.jpg

20160827_185324.jpg

Edited by disconovaman