Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2016 snap Camaro.

horsepower

Not a complete review, I just picked mine up and the body is fantastic! I truly had to search to find the almost nonexistent mold parting lines on the four corners. What through me is they aren't right on the corners, they're slightly down the sides. 

The red metallic is a little on the dull side for a snap kit, it almost appears like one of those "suede" finishes that are gaining popularity. But since I'm going to cover it in a red tri-coat finish using Tamiya red metallic, transparent red mid coat, and one coat lacquer wet look clear. Well that's as far as I got into the box before the wife said I couldn't look it over in the parking lot and made me put the body back in the box.

I picked one up yesterday, too. The body, unlike the AMT 2010 and other Camaros, has the hood and front and rear fascias molded to the body. The window surrounds are pre-painted, and it has separate windshield wipers. Two identical appearing decals and sticker sheets are included, which have a pair of black stripes for hood and trunk along with the various gauges and emblems. The brake rotors include caliper detail, and they are mounted so that they don't rotate. The wheels are mounted using the trusty steel axles. It has a nice platform interior. The kit is molded in 3 colors - red, black, and gray, plus my favorite color, clear. The taillights are molded in clear, and pre-painted red in what I assume are the appropriate places. Only the wheels, interior rear view mirror and I assume it's the rear license plate are chrome. Looks like I'll have to break out the BMF for the outside rear view mirrors.

It seems to be a pretty nice kit. I haven't found anything to complain about so far, even though I wish the hood and fascias were separate. Looking forward to building this one.

The red metallic is a little on the dull side for a snap kit, it almost appears like one of those "suede" finishes that are gaining popularity.

Good to know. I'll take even more joy than normal in polishing it to a high gloss and amazing my friends. :P

Are there any prominent swirl marks in the red metallic plastic?

I just picked this kit up today, gonna be a quick project. 

There is a slight mold line on the D pillers same spot on both sides. really happy too see plastic seats, not the vinyl seats we saw in the 2010 Camaro kit. 

only issue I have is that the headlights are molded to the body. there is glass for the lenses. but all the headlight detail is molded to the body, It could be a PITA too paint, other then that it looks fantastic. 

Mine had the same mold lines on the pillars - a few seconds with some 320 grit sandpaper got rid of them. I was planning on BMF for the headlights, but I'm not sure how that is going to work out yet. I think you'll be able to see the body color through the clear parts of the taillights, so probably the same for them.

Surprisingly enough mine is swirl free, if it weren't for the suede look it would be as nice as the pearl orange finish on the old Copperhead concept car snap kit was.

I can remember some of the metallic molded kits that had nice color, but looked like something a Starbucks barrista was experimenting with while trying to come up with a psychedelic pattern in a mocha latte.

We ordered in the Camaros (finally!) at my store. I believe the one we have on the shelf is the glue kit. I'll double-check Tuesday when I'm back in.

Charlie Larkin

the glue kits won't say molded in Carmine Red on the box, and are full detail, so the parts breakdown on the bottom of the box will have parts trees containing engine pieces.

Sure hope they're out, but the wifey will threaten to kill me if I drag another kit in this week.

Edited by horsepower

First post on this forum. I build a lot of Camaros and also drive one. I think they nailed the body on this one. Painting it Synergy Green using Gravity paint. A good reference is the 2016 Camaro booklet I picked up from my dealer.

image.jpg

First post on this forum. I build a lot of Camaros and also drive one. I think they nailed the body on this one. Painting it Synergy Green using Gravity paint. A good reference is the 2016 Camaro booklet I picked up from my dealer.

image.jpg

Hey! I've got the same high tech paint stand you do. But I still prefer my trusty quart can of rubber cement, it holds them flatter and is a little more stable.

image.jpg

Forgot to welcome you to the forum, and tell you how much I like your build. 

You guys wouldn't want to trade an orange haired loudmouth for some good wet weather would you? Lol.

I had this Snap kit in my hand at Hobby Lobby the other day and then I saw the $40 price tag and realized I had officially been priced out of shopping there. Even with the 40% off coupon it is a tough pill to swallow. Model Roundup has the same kit for $20.

Sounds like someone mis-priced that kit, most of the snappers are $16-18. 

I wasn't able to find this kit at HL, might have to go online and shop!