Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boss 429 Mustang

madhorseman

Very, very nice, and you did a good job of cleaning it up!

Not long ago I came across a promotional '69 Boss 302 diecast that was reasonably priced, 1/25, and has a better front end than the Revell kit. I thought yours might be of the same tooling, but mine doesn't have an opening trunk, so it's obviously not the same.

I'll keep an eye open for one of these. Thanks for sharing it!

Very, very nice, and you did a good job of cleaning it up!

Not long ago I came across a promotional '69 Boss 302 diecast that was reasonably priced, 1/25, and has a better front end than the Revell kit. I thought yours might be of the same tooling, but mine doesn't have an opening trunk, so it's obviously not the same.

I'll keep an eye open for one of these. Thanks for sharing it!

I also bought a 1969 Boss 302 from this same manufacturer. It was painted in a Bud Moore Trans Am team car scheme. I also removed tampoed numbers and added Parnelli Jones' number.

I can post pictures of that some time.

I tried to take the tampo junk off mine, but they resisted alcohol, which usually works for me, so I just left them alone for the moment. Someday I might repaint the whole car.

I'm working on an M2 50th anniversary Mustang, It's a pro street 427 SOHC '65 with a teardrop hood and big rear tires. It has a black racing stripe and some printed junk on the doors I didn't care for. These also resisted the alcohol. I ended up polishing off the door junk okay, but due to the cowl vents, won't be able to do that with the racing stripe. Again, someday I might just repaint the whole thing to suit me. I'd like a deeper blue anyway.

I tried to take the tampo junk off mine, but they resisted alcohol, which usually works for me, so I just left them alone for the moment. Someday I might repaint the whole car.

I'm working on an M2 50th anniversary Mustang, It's a pro street 427 SOHC '65 with a teardrop hood and big rear tires. It has a black racing stripe and some printed junk on the doors I didn't care for. These also resisted the alcohol. I ended up polishing off the door junk okay, but due to the cowl vents, won't be able to do that with the racing stripe. Again, someday I might just repaint the whole thing to suit me. I'd like a deeper blue anyway.

Richard, I used nail polish remover, and it came off instantly and cleanly!

Interesting! Can you tell me the particular brand? Some nail polish remover is quite strong--I'm sure would take paint off as well. Some of it will eat plastic!

Oh I understand what You're saying Richard. The brand I used was CUTEX, it contains acetone which is the stuff that would harm plastic. I don't want to make a blanket statement that this will work on all tampo print, but it did work for me. I'll say this, I was prepared to repaint the doors minimally, so I guess it was kind of a risk that just happened to pay off.

Right now I'm working on a 1/18 scale '68 Cougar that had a vinyl top, that is actually only flat black painted on. Again using that same CUTEX to remove it. and it's not hurting the blue paint underneath.

Wow, it looks darn good, I have the grabber orange version that has the correct front side marker light. They are extremely nice models. I also have the DM version in Royal Maroon that is drop dead gorgeous.

DSCN3611.JPG

DSCN4215.JPG

Edited by Geno

Wow, it looks darn good, I have the grabber orange version that has the correct front side marker light. They are extremely nice models. I also have the DM version in Royal Maroon that is drop dead gorgeous.

DSCN3611.JPG

DSCN4215.JPG

Wow Geno, that orange one is great looking!  I've not seen one before!

Richard, they are made by Crown Premiums. I paid 30.00 with shipping for mine. So I'd say they are a really good buy!!

The name's not familiar to me, so I googled them. They seem to have a couple nice things!

I'm pretty sure my '63 Corvette Coupe is one of theirs. I'll bet the '67 Corvette roadster sitting on my shelf at work even as we speak is one from their "Value Line," too. Funny thing is the '63 is 1/24 scale and the '67 is 1/25.

Like you, I enjoy "improving" inexpensive diecasts a little and displaying them. I just finished a M2 '65 Mustang yesterday and hope to post pics of it very soon.

The name's not familiar to me, so I googled them. They seem to have a couple nice things!

I'm pretty sure my '63 Corvette Coupe is one of theirs. I'll bet the '67 Corvette roadster sitting on my shelf at work even as we speak is one from their "Value Line," too. Funny thing is the '63 is 1/24 scale and the '67 is 1/25.

Like you, I enjoy "improving" inexpensive diecasts a little and displaying them. I just finished a M2 '65 Mustang yesterday and hope to post pics of it very soon.

That sounds cool Richard. please do post up Pics of Your '65 when You can. You know the only drawback that I see with the ones I bought is that they are COIN BANKS.

Here's that cheap diecast '67 Vette I mentioned. Pretty sure it's the Crown Value Line thing.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/103239-67-sting-ray-roadster-and-bonus-63-coupe/#comment-1450940

These Mustangs do look nice the way you guys cleaned them up. 

Interesting! Can you tell me the particular brand? Some nail polish remover is quite strong--I'm sure would take paint off as well. Some of it will eat plastic!

First, You want to use "Acetone Free " nail polish remover.  Acetone Can ruin the paint, in a hurry.   A note on the Acetone Free polish is, it does have an expiration date so check it at the store before you buy it. Sometimes it is hard to find the date but all brands are dated.

• 3 months later...

These Mustangs do look nice the way you guys cleaned them up. 

First, You want to use "Acetone Free " nail polish remover.  Acetone Can ruin the paint, in a hurry.   A note on the Acetone Free polish is, it does have an expiration date so check it at the store before you buy it. Sometimes it is hard to find the date but all brands are dated.

I FINALLY remembered to buy some of this stuff at Walmart yesterday. WOW, it works exactly as advertised! It takes the black stripe off that '65 pro street Mustang instantly and without harming the underlying paint! Then I tried it on the pimped-out lowrider graphics on a West Coast Choppers '57 Chev wagon and it works great on that, too! MANY, MANY thanks to both you and Madhorseman for the tip!B)

I wonder what other modeling tasks this wonder drug would work for....