Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mod Rod Review

Dave Darby

Well guys, I finally got some free time, and did a quicky review of the new AMT Mod Rod reissue, As a bonus, when you click on the link, you will find a another link to a history of the real car and the kit I had done for the now defunct Bonediggers site back in 2002, which also features a side by side comparison of the old and new tool Ala Kart kits. In the photos on my Fotki site, I added some shots of the original box art for all of the Ala Kart kits, and some of the later variations. Plus side by side comparisons of old and new kit content. I have added captions to explain parts, differences and historical tidbits as well.  Buckle up, it's gonna be a great ride. BTW, if you think you are in good shape because you have that 2002 Model A reissue, you are mistaken. There are a BUNCH of Ala Kart and vintage speed parts in the new issue that were not in the 2002 kit.  Link follows these two teaser photos...

IMG 1606

IMG 1610

AMT Mod Rod 2016

Edited by Dave Darby

Thank you for the review Dave. I'm very happy with this kit. I've already got the Mod Rod version done. I built mine to look like the red one on the one side of the box. It turned out fairly nice. Now to go finish the other as the old fashion racer as shown on on the same box end. This kit is a box full of fun. I have art box version and I love it. I found it to be a great kit.

Edited by unclescott58

I never had the original kit, and I have a question.  The original says that you can built the Ala Kart and the decals are even there, but how can that be without the side pipes and other mods to the body?

The original Mod Rods (there were two boxes) were unchanged parts-wise from the original Ala Kart kit.  The Mod Rod was just an alternate version that was always in there.  They just emphasized that version over the Ala Kart which was no longer being shown.  The original Mod Rod boxes had a small Ala Kart illustration on one side panel.  The decal sheet had the Ala Kart scallops, but fewer of them.  The early issue kits boxed as the Ala Kart had scallops for the underside of the fenders as on the 1:1 car, the later issues boxed as the Mod Rod only had the topside scallops. 

The next issue after the Mod Rods was the Street Rod Series/25th Anniversary version.  That one had some different parts (custom wheels, rod version headlights) and most of the Ala Kart parts were blocked off and not included.  Some alterations were made to the Kart body and fenders also. 

The Round 2 Mod Rod has all of the available Kart parts.  Some of them don't exist anymore.  For example, the 25th Anniversary kit headlight units are in the spot on the chrome tree where the fuel injection pieces for the Kart used to be.  So those probably got removed or destroyed to fit the headlights in.  When those changes were made, there was probably no thought of ever bringing the Kart back.  AMT didn't own the 1:1 anymore, and for the most part it was forgotten.  The Round 2 box art illustration with the fendered (red) Mod Rod is altered a bit; the side exhaust pipes were removed because they are no longer in the kit.

Thank you for the great explanation.  I wondered where the filled -in fender unit appeared, and I thought there was only one version of the Mod Rod.

HI Vince.

I actually covered that in the caption describing the difference between the two fender units. As Mark said, both of the original Mod Rod issues also built an Ala Kart. The changes came with the 1973 Street Rods issue. I would love to see Round2 restore this tool. It's totally doable.

Well guys, I finally got some free time, and did a quicky review of the new AMT Mod Rod reissue, As a bonus, when you click on the link, you will find a another link to a history of the real car and the kit I had done for the now defunct Bonediggers site back in 2002, which also features a side by side comparison of the old and new tool Ala Kart kits. In the photos on my Fotki site, I added some shots of the original box art for all of the Ala Kart kits, and some of the later variations. Plus side by side comparisons of old and new kit content. I have added captions to explain parts, differences and historical tidbits as well.  Buckle up, it's gonna be a great ride. BTW, if you think you are in good shape because you have that 2002 Model A reissue, you are mistaken. There are a BUNCH of Ala Kart and vintage speed parts in the new issue that were not in the 2002 kit.  Link follows these two teaser photos...

IMG 1606

IMG 1610

AMT Mod Rod 2016

......excellent kit review, Dave, very nice photos and your  text info is terrific......thank you for posting all of this...best, the Ace.....:D

Only thing I haven't enjoyed so far is the fit of the new-tool Mod Rod front axle to it's radius rods- that was quite a hair-puller for me. As installed on the chassis it's got quite a bit of positive caster, though that could decrease a bit depending on what tires I use and how much "rake" it ends up with. The Mod Rod version is not my thing at all, but I think I can work something out of it. I may use the blower parts from the last reissue (RC2 era) as they are chrome plated, while this version's blower parts are not. I like seeing the valve Red Ram valve covers and oil pan plated. The stock front axle, not so much, but it is what it is. 

The header for the vintage style hot rod still lacks the center ports and the carbs are just as unrealistic as ever, but know that you can adapt the vintage speed parts from either of the old Revell Model A kits to this engine. Better yet, swap in the entire Revell engine... it's easy to do with a little cutting and pasting. I'd actually keep the AMT transmission- not only should the locators on the frame and for the front wishbone still line up, I think it's somewhat more convincing looking than the Revell transmission, despite having fewer parts. 

If you look closely at the '32 grille insert, you'll notice that there's a bit of a "hunk" missing out of the grille bar engraving at the bottom left (driver's side) corner- that flaw was present on the RC2 reissue as well. Kind of a bummer when the rest of the insert is so nicely engraved. I'm going to have to dig around and see if an insert from an old AMT deuce will work in the Mod Rod shell.