Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Shelby Green Hornet-----Update! 8/4/18

MrObsessive

Looks great Bill. Since you are Mr. Obsessive, I have to remind you of the little chrome pieces that are the only thing that differentiate 68 deluxe seats from standard. The rears have them as well. Don't forget the seat back release levers. :D

1968_00044_07.jpg

Edited by Rodent

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

Looks great Bill. Since you are Mr. Obsessive, I have to remind you of the little chrome pieces that are the only thing that differentiate 68 deluxe seats from standard. The rears have them as well. Don't forget the seat back release levers. :D

1968_00044_07.jpg

Whoops! Steve, thanks for the reminder! Those little chrome 'trinkets' I can replicate with some BMF (hopefully all symmetrical). The release knobs I can whittle out of some square stock and pin those in.

This pic reinforces a slight change I made to the rear seat. I notice that the seat pattern kinda sits 'on top' of the seatback, and not somewhat 'buried' in the seat. Not a big deal, but I figured I might as well change it while the seatback was not fully attached.

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Thanks for the updates with all the trouble you have had posting.  So ... will it be done by next spring?

We'll see Rex.......like what happened with that '59 Impala, there's always can be something out there lurking that can bring things to a screeching halt. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoy all the updates Bill. This is intense!!

I was gonna post something about the Word document/ paste into text box here thing when I saw somebody else already suggested it. Glad you figured it all out with the emoticon usage. I also hear you on the lack of bench time during the summer. Man.......I've spent all summer long on my Willy's and usually I would've been done already. :huh:

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

Yup Rex, that's mine. Unfortunately, it had an accident with a falling can of spray paint which was sitting on a shelf above it. The can fell on the body breaking the trunk lid off its hinges, and totally breaking the roof off its fenders. Fixable, but I'm not going to worry about it now since I'm doing another one.

Speaking of which, I've shelved that one for awhile as I've gotten tired of working on it. Right now to keep from getting too burned out, I'm doing a 'Vette resto. When I get a chance-----more than likely when it's done, I'll post pics.

• 1 year later...

Randy, thanks so much for posting that! WOW! Has the color of that changed or what?? The shade of green that's on it now borders on being nearly fluorescent and I'm not sure I like it. ?

I liked the original darker shade of green better. The taillight panel is different also. The original had an aluminum color while this one looks to be a sort of graphite gray. There's been some rear suspension changes too according to the many pics I have of this car.

I still have the model, but along with the move it was packed away. After I get done with the '55 Ford, I'll dig it back out and see about finishing it up. If nothing else, mine might be more of a "tribute car" and not like the car as it sits today.

Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I still have the model, but along with the move it was packed away. After I get done with the '55 Ford, I'll dig it back out and see about finishing it up. If nothing else, mine might be more of a "tribute car" and not like the car as it sits today.

Thanks again!

I'll definitely be tuned into this one when you get it back on the bench. Had a couple of projects that I stalled out on as well....usually happens when I put a lot into one.

• 2 years later...

It's almost hard to believe that this one's been shelved for over TWO years now! Nevertheless, since the '55 Ford WIP is now history, and I'm not doing any large scales at the moment right now, I want to get back to this one and hopefully get it done in the next several months.

I'm revising some of the bodywork on it, namely the front end. AMT never got the front clip quite right on their '68 Shelby, so the first time around, I set about to try and "shorten" it up to make it more like the 1:1. Here's a pic of how it looked a couple years ago...........

P1017140.JPG.aac62ff023797b153202c565b03e1f2d.JPG

Now here's the more shortened up version with the lower fascia a bit closer to the headlights.........

1823524966_Shelby1.png.7cda394bc75fdf4da25ef63b58298731.png

With the front bumper held into place at the moment, the headlights should be almost at the top edge of the bumper, not sitting way above them like they would be out of the box.

802558808_Shelby2.png.1b58a932bce84b22863e32ffe625b3d5.png

Some grill reshaping is in order......I want to round off the upper corners a bit more. I'll also need to make an inner grill shell, pretty much like I did with '67 Mustang WIP from years ago.

Here's a dead on side profile of the car with the Plamoz 10 spokes mocked up with AMT's pad printed RWL tires. I want to get an idea of the ride height, and I'll do this often so the car sits "just right". I hate surprises near the end and I'm a bit fanatical about checking and rechecking things multiple times. It's the chief reason I don't like to paint bodies until all the other work is done. Waaaaay too much handling which is asking for trouble.

2098810622_Shelby3.png.2f08f10163b8ed298092f292fd9ba6ac.png

Unfortunately, those wheels CANNOT be had from Plamoz any longer. Even though they're listed on the site, it has said "out of stock" for many months now.

I decided for the moment to move back to the doors, and see if I can get them to latch. I embedded tiny magnets which can be had here in the trailing edge of the passenger side door. It's hidden under the striker I made.

P1017179.JPG.33d0daa34ea965d00541ae2568389e1d.JPG
P1017180.JPG.32cd57c3b909fc0eed052bb7ab8eecb9.JPG
P1017181.JPG.01f7f212fa5e0992b06718d7c57abea4.JPG

Two magnets are shown, but I only need one per door.

I made a quick video of how the door should "catch" just as it's closing...........

That's it for now fellas! I'm going to try and get some more work done on this before it's time to go back to work next week. Thanks for tuning in! 

Edited by MrObsessive
  • Like 2

I just read this entire thread and all I can say is……. WOWZERS!!!! I have been tempted several times to cut and join those 2 bodies just because I love the 67-68 Mustang (69-70 as well) but I just don’t feel my skill level is up to potentially wasting 2 kits and ending up with a pile of junk. I will DEFINITELY be watching this build!! 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Glad to see this one back on the bench, it was a favorite to watch. Iconic car, freshly restored, along with the red '67 coupe in Craig Jackson's collection. It's amazing that these two cars still exist.

It is terrific to see that indeed these two cars are still with us! I actually thought about doing 'Lil Red years ago before I decided on doing another Green Hornet, but at the time there just wasn't enough info on that car as opposed to today. I'm not crazy though about the repaint on the restoration of the Green Hornet. While it's not bad at all, the green looks too "electric" to my eyes and I like the older hue better. Just the same, mine will be more of a tribute car and not an inch by inch repro of the 1:1.