Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Shelby Green Hornet-----Update! 8/4/18

MrObsessive

FINALLY!! Some FANTASTIC Shelby ten spokes!! 

These are made by Plamoz, and I have to say that these are THE BEST 10 spokes I've ever seen! Perfect offset, perfect taper to the spokes, perfectly sized!

If you're ever serious about building a 1967-68 Shelby with 10 spokes, you've GOT to get a set of these wheels! Cost was $9.99 plus $4.00 for shipping. If you want to check out Plamoz and want to order, just mozy on over here!

A MUST HAVE!

photo1-vi.jpg

If you remember a few pages back, I mocked up GMP's 10 spokes on the Shelby............

photo94.jpg

Here are the Plamoz wheels just mocked up on the body for now. Naturally, this won't be the ride height-----that'll be determined as I build up the suspension. Namely the rear, as that's going to be practically scratchbuilt as it's an IRS setup and was unique to this car.

Painting the wheels will come further down the road after I get the body painted, and once things are set as far as the chassis and suspension.

photo3-vi.jpg

Plamoz on their site had the wheels mounted onto Round 2's Parts Pack Goodyear F70's. I have those tires, but thought the F60's were better suited as shown here. The F70's seem to tall for me compared to this type of car. Of course this is personal preference...........some might like those taller tires.

Now those GMP wheels aren't bad at all...........but I have to give the nod to Plamoz for knocking the ball outta the park with this set. Nice resin, no pinholes, no distortion of any sort, just spot on!

That's it for now......still plugging away at the engine, but I had to show you guys this! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

A couple of things about this project since you are a self proclaimed rivet counter.

1st...The C6 should be plain bare aluminum as Ford delivered them and like the C6 I transplanted into my 1:1 '61 F100. The C6 and 428 Cobra Jet (as used in GT500s) came from a 1970 Cougar Eliminator. Black paint on the outside would be done by a rebuilder trying to make the trans LOOK fresh rebuilt. The oil pan on the trans should be black.

2nd...My 428 CJ never had a smog pump, and it came off a California car where smog regs have been the strictest in all of the US since smog regulations started. There are also no ports in the exhaust ports of the heads like seen on later FE Fords with smog pumps. Smog pumps were installed on later mid-70s vintage regular 428s like used in pickup trucks, station wagons, etc. So I would recommend to not fret about adding a smog pump. It DOES have double row pulleys on the alternator and water pump. In transplanting the 428CJ into the truck, I removed the power steering pump which used the forward belt, and put on a pair of identical belts to the original rear one it came with.

I could post pics of my F100 with 428CJ if not for the Phototoilet debacle.

PS: I did that conversion in the late 1970s. The Cougar had been wrecked in the front, but the only crash damage to the engine was it bent the stainless blades of the fan.

Richard, thanks for the info about the C6! Some pics I have show the trans black, some a steel/aluminum color. I have a lot of pics of the Shelby's underside, but not good pics of the front end/trans area. They mostly focus on the rear end since the car does have and IRS setup.

As far as the Thermactor pump, pics I have of the engine bay definitely show the pump on the passenger side of the engine.

59783b7d081c9_memp-1301-03-oreturn-of-th

It's also showing the ports for the system as you mentioned. I don't know when the car was restored, but this is pretty much as the car appears today-------that's what I'm shooting for.

I thought emission systems such as those were put in Fords in California sometime in the mid '60's (1965-66 timeframe). It could have been something that was rolled out progressively? I don't know.

As far as Photobucket, FORGET THEM! :D 

They're not worth dealing with any longer. You can post your pic directly from your PC here if you'd like. Much more user friendly than PB! Before I get too far on the engine, I'll repaint most of the trans as I have plenty of aluminum paint------shouldn't be a problem over the acrylic black. ;)

FINALLY!! Some FANTASTIC Shelby ten spokes!! 

These are made by Plamoz, and I have to say that these are THE BEST 10 spokes I've ever seen! Perfect offset, perfect taper to the spokes, perfectly sized!

If you're ever serious about building a 1967-68 Shelby with 10 spokes, you've GOT to get a set of these wheels! Cost was $9.99 plus $4.00 for shipping. If you want to check out Plamoz and want to order, just mozy on over here!

A MUST HAVE!

photo1-vi.jpg

If you remember a few pages back, I mocked up GMP's 10 spokes on the Shelby............

photo94.jpg

Here are the Plamoz wheels just mocked up on the body for now. Naturally, this won't be the ride height-----that'll be determined as I build up the suspension. Namely the rear, as that's going to be practically scratchbuilt as it's an IRS setup and was unique to this car.

Painting the wheels will come further down the road after I get the body painted, and once things are set as far as the chassis and suspension.

photo3-vi.jpg

Plamoz on their site had the wheels mounted onto Round 2's Parts Pack Goodyear F70's. I have those tires, but thought the F60's were better suited as shown here. The F70's seem to tall for me compared to this type of car. Of course this is personal preference...........some might like those taller tires.

Now those GMP wheels aren't bad at all...........but I have to give the nod to Plamoz for knocking the ball outta the park with this set. Nice resin, no pinholes, no distortion of any sort, just spot on!

That's it for now......still plugging away at the engine, but I had to show you guys this! ;)

Finally...a Shelby 10-spoke wheels that look right...I have to get myself a few sets.
Great work as usual.

Edited by Force

Richard, thanks for the info about the C6! Some pics I have show the trans black, some a steel/aluminum color. I have a lot of pics of the Shelby's underside, but not good pics of the front end/trans area. They mostly focus on the rear end since the car does have and IRS setup.

As far as the Thermactor pump, pics I have of the engine bay definitely show the pump on the passenger side of the engine.

59783b7d081c9_memp-1301-03-oreturn-of-th

It's also showing the ports for the system as you mentioned. I don't know when the car was restored, but this is pretty much as the car appears today-------that's what I'm shooting for.

I thought emission systems such as those were put in Fords in California sometime in the mid '60's (1965-66 timeframe). It could have been something that was rolled out progressively? I don't know.

As far as Photobucket, FORGET THEM! :D 

They're not worth dealing with any longer. You can post your pic directly from your PC here if you'd like. Much more user friendly than PB! Before I get too far on the engine, I'll repaint most of the trans as I have plenty of aluminum paint------shouldn't be a problem over the acrylic black. ;)

California put the requirements for the air pumps in effect starting in the 1966 model year, but for some strange reason they weren't required on what was deemed higher performance competition based engines in the early years, it was strange seeing the Nickey 427 single four barrel engines with an air pump, but the two four version with the aluminum intake setup didn't have the air pump. Must have been a nightmare to enforce when people started doing engine changes.

I can't say enough good things about these wheels! NO ONE has done a good set (save for GMP perhaps) since the Shelby kits have been intro'd for decades now. FINALLY, a set of accurate 10 spokes that don't need anything but proper painting and tires.

I recommend these wheels with a 10+ rating for anyone that ever wants to do a 1967-'68 Shelby! ;)

Too bad I didn't have those rollers when I did my gold 68 gt 500 that I recently finished. I did like the wheels I installed on her, just hated the original  10 spoke ones in that kit, besides I wanted to go wider, but rather had done the ones like yours.

Can't wait to see the green hornet to finished. Soon I hope.

Can't wait to see the green hornet to finished. Soon I hope.

Mike with my work schedule (10+ hours a day right now), and with some things I have to scratchbuild such as parts of the interior and particularly the rear suspension, it's gonna be awhile! ;)

Mike with my work schedule (10+ hours a day right now), and with some things I have to scratchbuild such as parts of the interior and particularly the rear suspension, it's gonna be awhile! ;)

I can wait, and be watching:D

I can't say enough good things about these wheels! NO ONE has done a good set (save for GMP perhaps) since the Shelby kits have been intro'd for decades now. FINALLY, a set of accurate 10 spokes that don't need anything but proper painting and tires.

I recommend these wheels with a 10+ rating for anyone that ever wants to do a 1967-'68 Shelby! ;)

They look awesome and I went to the sight to get them. That cost me a lot now. I started looking around and had to get the 2013 Shelby GT500 trans kit, and the 2014 Camaro Z28! I just realized I only got one set of the 67 wheels. They are for my 67 GT500 Super Snake project but I also have the HRM 68 convertible and a few others. Now if Model Car Garage would finally get the photo etch sets for these out I will be set. They announced them just over two years ago!

They look awesome and I went to the sight to get them. That cost me a lot now. I started looking around and had to get the 2013 Shelby GT500 trans kit, and the 2014 Camaro Z28! I just realized I only got one set of the 67 wheels. They are for my 67 GT500 Super Snake project but I also have the HRM 68 convertible and a few others. Now if Model Car Garage would finally get the photo etch sets for these out I will be set. They announced them just over two years ago!

I drooled over the z28 transkit,but even more expensive in cdn dollars,but I did order the Dodge Dakota rims he offered.

I talked to Bob at the '15 NNL East about doing a set for the '67-'68 Shelby, and had asked if he could include the Green Hornet emblems. I sent him pics of what was needed but haven't seen or heard any word about it. I can certainly understand though as Bob is quite busy, and has a lot of things going on. 

Either which way, I have the decal sheet from Keith Marks that has a couple of the markings that I need, so it's no biggie.