Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late 40's Traditional '29 Ford Roadster on '32 Rails Update: 3/4/17

Dennis Lacy

UPDATE!

Exhaust system is essentially made. This can sometimes be a tedious pain in the ass but this time proved to not be so bad once I figured out a plan of attack. (Coming up with the plan took twice as long as actually making the pipes!) The complete pipes and mufflers are made of sections from the Revell '48 Custom Coupe exhaust. The pipes were shortened and the shape tweaked where they go through the front legs of the X member and attach to the headers. Sections were removed between the hanger brackets just beyond the mufflers and tailpipes to move the pipes forward to where they would snake around the axle, spring and cross member. The only thing I didn't get to was cutting the tails down because the dinner bell was ringing. 

To make room for the mufflers I removed the short cross pieces from the center X member. Most of the time in the real world when these later X's are installed in early frames these pieces are left out anyway. 

Also, while I was at the back of the frame I cut off and smoothed out where those goofy raised axle locating tabs were.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Up front I tackled setting up the steering and shocks. For the steering I added a bracket to the top of the frame rail (something that was and is sometimes done in the real world.) This allows the steering gear to sit up and clear of the headers and also allows the steering pitman arm to hang down without getting fouled on the split wishbone. I also made a traditional hairpin style steering arm at the axle out of one of the front upper A-arms from the Revell '37 street rod kits. The pitman arm / drag link are from the old Monogram '30 Woody. The steering box is a modified Revell '40 Ford.

The lever shocks are from the Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T. I did nothing to them other than insert some mounting pins and drilling corresponding holes in the frame.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

It's getting there. To wrap up the chassis setup I need to finish the tail pipes and install rear shocks then do an all around fine tuning and clean up.

Great detail on the running gear. I make mental notes on how you set up the steering on your early fenderless cars. I'm not so good, nor creative in that area. Must be because you've built a lot of 1:1's. The detail on the exhaust hangers is something I don't remember seeing before. Looks a lot better than the usual pipes just sitting there in limbo. :lol:

Great detail on the running gear. I make mental notes on how you set up the steering on your early fenderless cars. I'm not so good, nor creative in that area. Must be because you've built a lot of 1:1's. The detail on the exhaust hangers is something I don't remember seeing before. Looks a lot better than the usual pipes just sitting there in limbo. :lol:

Actually, the only one I've ever set up in this manner with a bracket above the frame is on the '27 T Roadster I built for myself 10 years ago. But, I've seen lots of examples over the years. You just have to make sure the bracket is stout enough.

Here's an example on my friend Frank Barone's '29 Roadster. Talk about a car that's been riden HARD!

IMG_1133-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1130-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Another build you are just hitting out of the park, I must have went back and looked at that front 3/4 shot about twenty times. 

Thank you for including your source of parts, it's really helpful for taking mental notes of kits to keep an eye out for. 

Thank you! The sad thing is that I remember where all these parts come from. Couldn't memorize anything for school to save my life. LOL!

:lol:

Roadster Progress!

Over the past weekend I managed to finish up the remainder of fabrication for this model. Out back I finished the exhaust pipes by cutting the tails off, drilling the ends out and inserting pins into the pipes which insert into corresponding holes in the rear-most cross member. I also installed rear shocks which (like the fronts) are from the Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T

Hosted on Fotki

Here's a look at the underside of the front axle and suspension which shows better how some of it is put together and mounted.

Hosted on Fotki

Here's an overall view of the chassis with fabrication complete. Here you can also see that I added a master cylinder bracket to the frame and installed the master cylinder from the Revell '48 Ford's.

Hosted on Fotki

Up front modified a Revell '32 series radiator as needed and made up the lower hoses from modified versions of those from AMT's '41 Woody.

Hosted on Fotki

I loaded up the firewall with all the necessary hardware which includes the beehive bypass oil filter from the Revell '32 Sedan, homemade 2-port fuel block and the voltage regulator from the Revell '40 Ford's. 

Hosted on Fotki

Finally, here's a couple final mock ups. Aside from a few small details the roadster can now be broken down for final clean up and prep for paint. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE!

Getting really close to having this one finished. Here's how it currently sits. Just need to attach the grill / radiator, make the upper water hoses, paint / install the windshield and install the taillights. Just gotta stop being lazy! 

DSCN3805-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN3807-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN3809-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN3810-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy