Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22

OH YEAH.......so nice to have you back posting Randy.  Like many others, I look forward to each of your updates and always learn a thing or three along the way.   My only request is that when you post future pics could you shoot them with a bit better lighting?   And if you can't, well that would be okay too..............just keep posting sir!   Oh, and the Dedion axle is awesome.  Cheers from your biggest fan,  Tim

Oh, s***! D***! Whoa! Yahoo!  Oh, s***, you had to start over again! D***, that takes a lot of courage!  Whoa, this is better than the first time around.  Yahoo, your back at work and I am so happy to see this!  Stunning work Randy.  Keep it up!

holy cow ....

yeah  -  I missed this thread too ....

questions -

the sub-assembly soldering on the de dion tube -

are you using different temp solders and/or different settings on your soldering iron ??

did you use the same solder base/platform that you used for frame 1 ?? 

how are you marking and drilling holes in the brass sheet

- as you know - your drill bit will wander every which way unless you've got a sort of divit in the brass sheet to guide the drill bit ....

the leaf springs - are they nickel silver or what ??

you still planning to make the bonnet from brass sheet?

you're a brave man ...

I think you've got this thing figured out - but just in case - I've got the Joel Finn birdcage book if you want to check something .....

Hi Folks,

Jason,  I apologize for not thanking you for your earlier comment:)

Bernard,  Love the way you write my friend, you are right on the money!  The best book I have found is Joel Finn's  "Maserati Birdcage".  I did find a online posting that covers a restoration/ build of a birdcage that has proven helpful. I will post up some links of online info when I get a chance.

Hi Trevor, My pleasure and please ask questions if you need more information.

Thanks Greg!

Hello Michael, Thank you. 

Hey Bruce, Appreciate you checking in buddy.

Foxer, Thank you for sticking with this, time has a way of slipping away on these projects:)

Hello Gary, Thank you and yes, all the body work will be removable.

Hi JC,  Thank you for the compliments, hopefully we can get together at Brad's when I come east this year.

Chris,  Yes, the late 50's thru the 60's was a great time for auto racing designs.

Thank you David !

Tim,  Now you want Ansel Adams!!!  You are hard to please my friend:)   Good point and I will try to bring more light to the subject!  About time for an update on your beautiful build is it not?

Swede 70, Appreciate  the kind words!

Pete,  Good to hear from you my friend, hoping to see more updates from you:)

Andy,  I'm glad you found this!  Big fan of your 1924 Delage build, those hand laced wheels are magnificent!!  Mr Finn's book is on the work bench:) 

Andy's questions hopefully answered....

I have slowly gotten away from using different melting temp solders.  this axle was assembled using  "Novak Silver Solder". When adding on pieces to already soldered components I use all sorts of clamps, jigs, ally wire ,ect...  to make sure nothing moves when i heat it up. My trusty Weller is always on High.

Still using the same pad.

I know what you mean about the 'wandering drill bit'.   All the holes in the brass work so far have been punched with a punch set from I think Micro-Mark? Brass sheet stock is .015"

Yes, the leafs were cut from 30 ga. n.s. stock.  The spring works fairly well, I get about a 1/4 inch of movement.

Still planning on soldering ally sheet,  brass will be the back up plan.

Thanks for looking in and I will update the front end tomorrow.

Randy

Edited by Randy D

Holy cow. I saw the first version of this in November at the Atlanta ACME meet, and it was pretty danged impressive. But the NEW version is completely over the top. Fine, fine, fine. It reminds me of something I read from a model railroad scratch-builder-extraordinaire eons ago...if you can hold it, you can make it. Holding some of those little parts to work on them is just short of magic.  :D

Hi Folks,

Hello Dann,  Thank you for the compliment but there are several folks on this forum that model in this medium that I look up to. Dave S. and Tim H. (Codi) in the Drag section along with Mark J (Scalemaster) in the Big Boys section and Andy S.(Absmiami) in this section just to name a few:)

Hi Bill,  Glad you are following along ! Looking forward to talking more with you.

A couple of reference pics of the front end. The Tipo 61 used double A arms, Koni shocks with rack & pinion steering..

First is a Ed Matsuishi photo followed by one from a restoration thread, the rack & pinion photo is from Joel Finn's book. 

Then my attempt....

Was able to reuse the A arms that I had built earlier after shortening them. The shocks are functioning RBMotion items with shorter springs and extended necks.

I will split this into 2 posts..

EdM0000S013.jpg

IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8291.JPG

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG

IMG_8338.JPG

THIS is simply as good as it can get.  STUNNING no matter what the scale but even more so being 1/25th.   You really need to post a pic showing a dime next to the suspension/chassis so everyone can appreciate the sheer scale of this.  I saw a pic on page 2 of this thread where you're holding the chassis..........gives a great idea of it.  I'm convinced that you model with one thought......."see the picture, make the picture".   Cheers sir!

wondering if you - or anyone else - recalls the photos of Manuel Sans' 12th scale birdcage model ??

It was featured at least twenty five years ago in Vintage Motorsport mag

there may still be some photos of it on the net - there may still be a site for his builds ...

anyhow - I always wanted to try that - or something close to it - in 24th sc

and you beat me to it!

and yes - your frame looks every bit as good as the 12th scale Sans frame .....

19 minutes ago, absmiami said:

wondering if you - or anyone else - recalls the photos of Manuel Sans' 12th scale birdcage model ??

It was featured at least twenty five years ago in Vintage Motorsport mag

there may still be some photos of it on the net - there may still be a site for his builds ...

anyhow - I always wanted to try that - or something close to it - in 24th sc

and you beat me to it!

and yes - your frame looks every bit as good as the 12th scale Sans frame .....

I posted about Manuel Olivé Sans back on page 3 of this thread with pictures and links both to the website for the foundation established in his honor after his death, and an excellent English language article on the CMA site showing multiple examples of his work. Along with Michele Conti and Gerald Wingrove , he was one of the masters of the auto modeling in the 1960s years when plastic auto modeling in the USA was first blooming into its golden age.

slide1217olive.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi Folks,

Can not believe it has been a year since I last posted progress:(  I really am slow !!!

Belated thanks to those who commented,

Alex, Thank you Sir, now quit messing with those cameras and get back to the models!

Tim,  As always, thank you for your support!  Your new project in the Drag section is shaping up to be another bar raiser!!!

Andy, Thanks!   love following your progress in your Old Racing Engines thread.

Jason,  Glad you are still following along my friend:)

Bill,  Appreciate the kind words!

Bernard,  looking forward to getting together next week at the NNL West.

Daniel,  Thank you and we should talk about creating a NNL show here in Denver area.

Need to fit in some items before adding more framework. Working on the pedals. The Birdcage used dual master cylinders for the brakes, a rather complex rod & lever system for the throttle and a simple lever layout for the clutch.

Reference pics...

60_Maserati_Tipo-61_2469_DV_06_Belle-i05

IMG_9256_zpsc7y18o8b.jpg

1960-Maserati-Tipo-61-Birdcage-Engine-De

Found some p.e. pedal faces that looked right and soldered them to some brackets.  Made up the rest from nickel silver tubing,brass sheet, rod and goodies from RB Motion.   Will post this to see if it works, more to follow...

Edited by Randy D

• Randy D changed the title to Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22