Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22

And of course you had to fashion the reverse lockout part - is that wh metal too ??  acu-stion was one of those obscure outfits that briefly made really cool parts and then disappeared …

I think that most of us have run out of superlatives when trying to describe this superb exercise in miniaturisation.

To scratch build a model of this particular subject, and in 1/24th scale is artisan model engineering at its highest level.

• Like 1

Steve,  Thank you my friend.  I am saddened by the news that we are losing NNL West:(

Thanks Daniel !!

Appreciate the comment Chris.

Glad you like it Steve (cifenet)

Thank you David!!

Pierre,  I do try to look at each part and figure out how to create it. Most times the more parts I break it down into the better it comes out. Of course I never show the bad ones😁

Noel, Thank you sir🙂 You are too kind

Andy,   That part is 2 of the RBMotion .047"rod ends. Cut the shaft off one and drilled it, left a nub on the other and epoxied together.

IMG_5560.thumb.JPG.8bd1d088b150dc0d974873fff2cfe405.JPG

Randy

• Like 2

It's not fair, even if I would try to steal some of your ideas, I wouldn't be able to use them on my project.  You are the one and only master and we can only dream of having so much talent!

Your project is an inexhaustible source of wonder, thank you for continuing to amaze us! 👌

Wow!

That's so small I can barely see it Randy!

I would feel compelled to wear a mask when dealing with such tiny parts. Lest an unexpected sneeze send it flying off into the void to be lost for ever.

David G.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:17 AM, absmiami said:

And of course you had to fashion the reverse lockout part - is that wh metal too ??  acu-stion was one of those obscure outfits that briefly made really cool parts and then disappeared …

Because that dude is, well, different. It may be a case of the thin line between genius and madness. I'll sure never forget dealing with him.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:39 PM, Randy D said:

Andy,   That part is 2 of the RBMotion .047"rod ends. Cut the shaft off one and drilled it, left a nub on the other and epoxied together.

Randy

Now I know why my order from rbmotion is almost a distant memory. I need to call Bob and find out what's what. But believe me, I don't mind being bumped for artist/craftsmen like you. Perhaps I shouldn't have told him that the last time we talked?

I just sat here and read all you posts and, with even more amazement, looked at each photo, most enlarged, in one sitting. I couldn't stop. What hasn't been said... thanks!

Reach out to bentley - guessing Randy is relying in his old RB stash - life may be interfering - not sure that RB has been taking orders lately - but some of his stuff is so crucial for the super detailers - hoping he will produce again - 

7 hours ago, absmiami said:

Reach out to bentley - guessing Randy is relying in his old RB stash - life may be interfering - not sure that RB has been taking orders lately - but some of his stuff is so crucial for the super detailers - hoping he will produce again - 

Of all the things, it was in my mailbox when I went out this morning — with all sorts of crazy interesting postage stamps. That means it was in there when I posted my reply. He apologized for the delay. I don't know if you've ever spoken to him, it sounds as though you have, but he's sounds like a solid, decent guy. We had to work through a PP error that resulted in the cancelling of my order. I didn't lose my place in the queue he wanted to eat the PP fee. The parts are beautiful.

Edited by 4knflyin

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following this project kind of on a hit and miss basis as I mostly hang out on the drag race pages.  I did however go back are read all 15 pages of this increadible  display of talent, machining and just all around craftsmanship.  The insights on dealing with brass and other metals will prove invaluable to my modeling.  Not to mention the subject matter is a testament to racecar engineering and is fasinating in real life  (Laguna Seca) but in this scale ------- no words.