Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Tim,  Thank you Sir,  can't wait to see what you come up with:)

Hey JT,   Thanks buddy and I look forward to doing the DSC and GSL double double again with you guys in '17

Tom,  Thanks for looking in.  I use what drawings I can find on the web and work with the few known measurements to come up with my construction plans.....

Samples from the web....

Hi Bob,  Glad you like it !

Jimmy,  here is a link to the ceramic pad.....http://www.jewelrysupply.com/Honeycomb-Soldering-Board_p_11468.html

Thanks Richard!!

Appreciate the kind words Michael:)

Thank you Dave.

This car has a large oil tank that nestles into the frame and it's mounted on some brackets. Using some printer's plate ally sheet stock that my friend Brad N. supplied me with when I visited his home last year I made one up....

Ref. pics...

Progress on the frame

That is all for now,

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Thanks Bill !

Hi Bruce,  about time you get to work:D

Pete,  Appreciate those kind words!!

Thank you Richard:)

Ben, You are too kind sir:)

Working on the front shock towers...

Ref. pics...

60_Maserati-T61-2463_DV-14-MH_e04_zpskap

60-Maserati-Tipo-61-DV-10-AI_e001_zpsa2u

518_zpsqtxyww0b.jpg

Making up mine from sheet brass stock,  drilling lots of holes!

IMG_3722_zpsi4x3rqcv.jpg

IMG_3745_zps893eprvv.jpg

IMG_3731_zpsybyyprqg.jpg

IMG_3749_zpsuec8y7ly.jpg

IMG_3857_zps4ahaqqjq.jpg

Shown with a .6mm bolt (6.0mm long) for attaching the upper A arm..

IMG_3867_zpskaglmffo.jpg

Mocked up on the chassis.   The three brackets you see are to mount the steering rack.  They are   Pro tech items available from Laski Scale Specialties.

That is all for now,

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

Edited by Randy D

Aw come on Randy, admit it, half the fun is figuring out HOW you're going to make it and then making it happen.  Those turned out so slick.  Now, could you work a little faster please?  (this coming from the guy known as "turtle")     cheers, tim

Brilliant! Perhaps you are aware of him, but one of the greatest scratch modelers of automobiles was the late Manuel Olivê Sans, and one of his masterpieces was the same car you are building. The techniques he used were the same you are pursuing, and from the looks of things you are on course to equal his remarkable work. The extraordinary thing is that your are doing it in 1/24th scale, even smaller than Sans' 1/10th scale rendition. If you haven't discovered him then I think you'll find him inspirational. I have no doubt you're finished product will be on a similar level! Here are some links:

Manuel Olivê Sans Foundation

CMA Article on Manuel Olivê Sans

And a couple of pics of his Gus Andrey Tipo 61:

birdcage-1.jpg birdcage-3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Hi Joe,  Always appreciate your comments:)

Hey JT,  Look forward to it!!!  Are you coming to DSC?

Thank you Richard!

Tim,  You are so correct my friend:D 

Thanks RandyC

Bernard,  Did you really have to drop that in my build thread????????

Just kidding:D:D  Thank you for those links.  That was all new to me and you are right, I find someone like that very humbling and inspiring!!

Hey Art,  Thanks buddy!  Now that you got the store up and running you need to back to bench!!!!

Thank you Lanny!!

Small progress....

Got the shock towers in place...

That is all for now,

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

• Like 1

Bernard,  Did you really have to drop that in my build thread????????

Just kidding:D:D  Thank you for those links.  That was all new to me and you are right, I find someone like that very humbling and inspiring!!

That suspension bracketry shows your working to the same rigor and detail, using very much the same techniques, as the Olivê Sans example, except, as I said, yours is in 1/24th rather than 1/10th! We are all inspired by this project. Can't wait to see more, more, more...!

BTW, another master from this era (the late 50's forward) was an Italian modeler named Michel Conti*. Like Olivê Sans he worked in large scale and was a professional, selling his models to wealthy collectors. His subjects were typically the contemporary racing and GT cars of his era. His detail is nearly as thorough as Olivê Sans. He is survived by his son Maurizio who carries on the family business. Below are some links - no pictures this time since we are all firmly focused on your wonderful model!

*The third of the Big Three professionals of that period was of course Gerald Wingrove.

Conticollector.com - History and appreciation of the Conti models.

World Collector Conti Web Pages - British business re-selling collector's models where Conti models are offered.

Edited by Bernard Kron

• Randy D changed the title to Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22