Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22

ITS BACK !    

so there is actually good use for all of those little white metal parts that sit on the shelves of my [one and only] local train / hobby store .....

good thinking - I'm always saving some of the unused chunks from  the Finecast white metal kits - because nothing looks  more like metal   -   than metal  ...

are you bonding with CA  ??   have you tried any of the low temp solders on this stuff  ??

Randy,

you are going to have to patent the MBW machine that you use to enlarge the Maserati to work on it and then shrink it to 1/24 scale...   

Amazing workmanship and photography, heck, it would be amazing even at a larger scale - Saw this at NNL West and folks this is a tiny car!

Hi Folks,

Andrew,   The short answer is yes:)  but it needs to be parts of similar size and chemical makeup so you know the melting point. You then work just under that temp with a solder like TIXX.  For these parts I'm using epoxy and CA.

Appreciate the comment Ben !

Thank you Steve:) 

Randy

Hi Folks,

Thank you for those kind words Francis. I feel the same when viewing your stunning creations over in the drag section !!!

Appreciate it Mike :)

Mods...when you get a chance would you move this thread over to the racing section, want to go hang with the cool kids :)

Thanks,

Randy

Good grief! ... What is happening here?! ... I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve noticed this thread, but now that I have I’ll be watching to the end for sure.

And I’ll just say, this is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in 1/24 scale!

Truely beautiful art Randy!

I must have been living on the moon because I just found this thread thanks to Tim H. (thx Tim). 

This is pure art geniusness. My head hurts and my eyes are itching from studying all of these photos and I only went through this thread once, there will be many more, of that I am certain.

You are truly the metal master my friend and I can't wait to see this in person. When that will be, I don't know. Maybe the next DSC or maybe the last GSL.

Hi Folks,

Andrew, Just trying to fit in here :)

Hey Josh,  Thank you but you should see builds of Francis and Codi over in the Drag section!!!

Thank you Bruce !!

Appreciate the comments Trevor.

Hey Brad,  Looking forward to coming down for spring training and the DSC!

Tim,  I really need to get to work but I keep getting sucked in looking at your build threads:)

Okay,   Next up for this little motor is the rather loooong distributor that comes off the front of the head casting. It even has it's own V notch in the framework.

For a 4 banger there are alot of wires going on here.   Twin plugs, twin coils and two outside condensers....

daniel_retromobile-01a.jpg.c2f45ab5203faf2a6ffa7ff021cf39a2.jpg

I showed the beginnings last update that were mocked up.  The gear tower and the base of the spacer that Maserati used...

IMG_1776_LI.thumb.jpg.72fff680998a6bd774e981d1c282eefd.jpg

A ref. pic for the spacer from the site of an 1 : 1 English shop that does some really cool stuff "Crosthwaite & Gardiner".   The color engine photo above is their work.

1540642410_MAS269(1).jpg.4f97da6952831aeb2f8c42a7b63e051d.jpg

More.....

I use p.e. parts from Detail Masters as guides for scratch building parts.  I glue them to white metal or aluminum stock then file to shape..

IMG_2011.thumb.JPG.1e206e8865f00beba418313eb9ce03bf.JPGIMG_1782.thumb.JPG.d1c60218e92bb921b52e98970eb938bf.JPG

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.4a820b3cf219a8d2723a95ca0de73618.JPG

IMG_1786.thumb.JPG.269f0bb4fcdd5a31b1bf7d36e7dce708.JPG

IMG_1787.thumb.JPG.11b7872e9923813c5414ee9a1376fde8.JPG

This has been epoxied together,  with some paint it starts to look like a cast part..

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.4010d0a0ece037e000e4634d453661c3.JPG

more....

• Randy D changed the title to Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22