Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22

This is real scale model making as opposed to building!  Considering the scale of 1/24th it is more than up there with the well known professionals who' s models are in a larger scale.

The Birdcage is such a complex subject to be making in such a small scale. Absolutely superb workmanship.

Eye candy, I could spend my days contemplating these extraordinary creations but that would only slow down my own project even more...  I don't mind coming to recharge my batteries and my wonder on a daily basis though...  No pressure Randy, I know this kind of jewelry takes time and I am patient! 😍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Hey Brad, thank you and hope to see you guys this spring for the DSC show!

Mike, Appreciate you looking in ( 1/24th ) and yes, lots of extra eye power:)

Andrew, thank you and don't forget to gather some goodies for our 956 build.

Tim, always nice to have you checking in my friend.  I need to get over to the Drag Section to see your latest updates on that gorgeous Maverick.

Thank you Noel:)

Hi Francis, glad you like it so far Sir. 

Hello Bill,  thank you for going thru all this mess!

Hi Ira,   happy to have you following along.

This update is to show some progress on the bodywork.  I was attempting to do it using aluminum but have not mastered the art of soldering that metal:(  Maybe next project. Going with copper sheet stock.

After wasting a lot of time trying to build a miniature English wheel,  my friend Steve " Muncie " told me that what I have going here is a "hammer and dolly" project. Well ...yeah...he was right.  Light bulb goes on and progress is made:)

Starting with the front clip that tilts forward.  Figure if I can master these curves and shapes the rest is a little easier.

Ref. pic...............

60_Maserati_Tipo-61_2469_DV_06_Belle-09-800.jpg.2ca1ffeb2137b7eff6a6de9b20281a0a.jpg

More...

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Stunning work! Beautiful! I've no further words...

I have to go with that also.

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I only gave you a few words, you took it to this level. To see what you have done in scale is amazing,  it's incredible work.  This project is so cool!

Edited by Muncie

Randy, you tease.  Now stop what you're doing and show me the "hammer & dolly" tools and technique.  You're so fortunate to have a friend like Steve(muncie) offer up tips & advice on how to do this and of course your talent  to bring it to fruition.  This is a skill I hold in the highest regard and would love to learn more from someone that has figured it out in our scale.  To be able to render that in 1/25th is just nuts. This build is honestly like no other on the forum and some of the "old world" skills exhibited will someday be lost to us all.  That's craftsmanship sir.  Cheers,  Tim

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Randy, you tease.  Now stop what you're doing and show me the "hammer & dolly" tools and technique.  You're so fortunate to have a friend like Steve(muncie) offer up tips & advice on how to do this and of course your talent  to bring it to fruition.  This is a skill I hold in the highest regard and would love to learn more from someone that has figured it out in our scale.  To be able to render that in 1/25th is just nuts. This build is honestly like no other on the forum and some of the "old world" skills exhibited will someday be lost to us all.  That's craftsmanship sir.  Cheers,  Tim

Randy, I will second that one!  I would love to see an instructional video on how this is done.  You said the lightbulb when on.  Heck I am still trying to find the socket to screw the bulb in, much less have is shed any light on how you do this!  A nice long video on You Tube would be great!

Definitely old school craftsmanship!  Highest compliment I can pay!

This is absolutely fantastic Randy!  This project (like everything else you do) is in a class by itself, and your construction techniques are simply magic.  My thoughts align with my peers who care to see a dying art that probably only a handful of people on the globe can achieve!  Truly inspiring sir, I never tire of following your prowess!!! 😍

• Randy D changed the title to Adventures in Soldering: The Maserati BirdcageTipo 61 update Bodywork 12/17/22