Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962 Plymouth Fury conv.

hi,

Question...is there a top for this kit (top up)?

Question. ..is there more parts that can fit on this kit,other then what comes with the kit?

Question...is there different box art for this kit?

Thank you.I bought this about five years ago from GSL.for 5 bucks and it was sealed.I've gotten into Johan kits and know nothing about it....us there anyone that knows anything about it...thank you..Chris

20160909_185313bb.jpg

This was the standard box art for the USA Oldies reissue, the last time it was issued. At that time the mold for the interior had been lost, so the '63 Dodge dash/steering wheel and '64 Plymouth promo interior bucket were substituted.

This eBay completed listing shows a built kit with the correct original interior and a raised top:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Plymouth-Fury-convt-TOP-UP-or-TOP-DOWN-promo-car-style-built-kit-/191953644690?hash=item2cb1542c92%3Ag%3AYxYAAOSw9NdXs1JT&nma=true&si=MY1zxLWW6WoqAJ6JTDGeoTLHVi0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This listing shows an original 1962 box plus the partly assembled kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo-Han-1962-Plymouth-Fury-Convertible-Model-Kit-1-25-Scale-5362-E-149-/162153722003?hash=item25c11d7093%3Ag%3AWFUAAOSwaB5XkswC&nma=true&si=MY1zxLWW6WoqAJ6JTDGeoTLHVi0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You may want to save the photos to ID the original parts.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Thank you both,so what top ups can be installed on mine?.... (from what kits)?

what interior tub,dash and steering wheel differences from stock 62 kit?

I looked at the pictures and safed themfor reference.

does anyone have a annual kit of the box.

thank you.....Chris 

Thank you both,so what top ups can be installed on mine?.... (from what kits)?

what interior tub,dash and steering wheel differences from stock 62 kit?

I looked at the pictures and safed themfor reference.

does anyone have a annual kit of the box.

thank you.....Chris 

I don't have the original Fury box, but I have the Dodge Dart one.

Also have the up-top.

Same top for both kits.

Sorry, but I won't part with them. :P

Word of caution, even if you find an original top for your Fury, it will require some modifications on both the top & the body to get it to look right.

Johan was famous for providing poorly fitting up-tops for these early '60s Mopars.

I've recently started working on a '62 Chrysler 300 that required not only adding the top snap trim to the body & cutting some of the tulip panel away, but also shortening the top & revamping the rear quarter window openings.

Steve

photo DSCN5242_zpshz24cyyf.jpg photo DSCN5253_zpsmeprhnkt.jpg

Thank you Steve.Its ok that you want you top up...I just wanted to know what kits to look for to get one.thanks for the info on the fit of tge top to windshield and body.

So did the Fury ever have a top up or was it only in the dodgeds only?

and was it any 62 dodge dart that had the top up?

Thank you Steve........Chris

Yes, the '62 Plymouth annual did come with an up top.

Many of the original annual convertibles from Johan came with an optional up top, but not all.

Johan produced full sized Dodge convertibles from 1962 through 1964, & full sized Plymouths from '62 to '68.

I believe all of them included optional up tops.

The only tops that would be compatible with the '62 Plymouth would be from the '62 Dodge or Plymouth, & possibly the '63 models.

Revell also produced 1962 Mopar kits that included an up top.

Don't really know how compatible they would be with a Johan kit, but I'm confident they could be modified to work.

None of the later Johan "USA Oldies" reissues included an up top, so your only avenue would be to find an original from 1962.

Steve

I've been on the lookout for quite some time for the up-top that goes with Johan's '67 Plymouth Fury Convertible as I have one built. 

Trying to find one is as scarce as hen's teeth, and when they do show up on eBay for instance you can bet there'll be a bidding war. Just the same, what I'll probably end up doing someday is make my own out of another car's roof as the shape of the original Johan top isn't quite right per the 1:1. 

This might sound crazy, but I like my up-tops to have a bit of "droop" and "sag" in certain spots on the tops, and most I've seen always seem to be too "blocky" for me. But then, I'm compulsive about things like that anyway! :P

Yes, the '62 Plymouth annual did come with an up top.

Many of the original annual convertibles from Johan came with an optional up top, but not all.

Johan produced full sized Dodge convertibles from 1962 through 1964, & full sized Plymouths from '62 to '68.

I believe all of them included optional up tops.

The only tops that would be compatible with the '62 Plymouth would be from the '62 Dodge or Plymouth, & possibly the '63 models.

Revell also produced 1962 Mopar kits that included an up top.

Don't really know how compatible they would be with a Johan kit, but I'm confident they could be modified to work.

None of the later Johan "USA Oldies" reissues included an up top, so your only avenue would be to find an original from 1962.

Steve

hi Steve,

ok,well I'll start looking.is there a resin top up? to buy..bill says he may build his own...do you?...thank you....Chris

I've been on the lookout for quite some time for the up-top that goes with Johan's '67 Plymouth Fury Convertible as I have one built. 

Trying to find one is as scarce as hen's teeth, and when they do show up on eBay for instance you can bet there'll be a bidding war. Just the same, what I'll probably end up doing someday is make my own out of another car's roof as the shape of the original Johan top isn't quite right per the 1:1. 

This might sound crazy, but I like my up-tops to have a bit of "droop" and "sag" in certain spots on the tops, and most I've seen always seem to be too "blocky" for me. But then, I'm compulsive about things like that anyway! :P

Hey Bill,

So how do you go about building your own?......Chris

hi Steve,

ok,well I'll start looking.is there a resin top up? to buy..bill says he may build his own...do you?...thank you....Chris

Modelhaus used to make a few resin tops, but they were pretty limited.

As we all know, Modelhaus is no longer & they didn't do a top for the Johan '62s anyway.

As far as I know, there is nobody making them at this point.

I have modified a couple of tops for builds, but I've never made one from scratch.

The top for my '59 Mercury was modified from a Revell '59 Impala top.

Steve

photo DSCN3380_zpsmffl730i.jpg

I recently picked up an up top for the Johan 62 Dodge and/or Plymouth kit off Ebay

You just have to be patient they do pop up for sale from time to time

( problem is now i cant find the kit I bought the top for,,,but thats another story  )

Edited by gtx6970

Steve,

Looks good.I guess I'll be looking and talking with a friend to see if he has one.I would rath not buy a Johan 62 Dodge kit,then take the top out of it.is it better to make your own subframes ,then put tissue with elmars thinned and sprayed on a the tissue top?...I don't know where to look...or ask?

Thank you for all the info and to the others helping with my education on this.

Is there a book or mag that talks and shows all Johan kits?....thank ya...Chris

Hey Bill,

So how do you go about building your own?......Chris

Chris, it would be too drawn out here to explain how I did the top on this stillborn '64 GTO project, but I basically modified the existing hardtop that I cut off with some reshaping of the plastic, and some putty.

windows- topupview
right side view
P2180006

If I ever decide to revisit this one, I'd make the ribs in the top a bit more subtle, and I'd reshape the sail panels somewhat to make it more like the 1:1. As I mentioned, a lot of up-tops are too blocky appearing for my tastes. When you look at a convertible from a front 3/4 view, the trailing portion of the sail panels always should have some kind of "sag" or droop to it. 

Here's pic to depict what I mean..................

Copy of 1962 Corvette 1.JPG

Where the arrow I have pointing is where most kit makers never seem to get right when it comes to modeling convertible tops IMO. You can see here on this Corvette where the rear part of the top sags a bit. Most tops I've seen this area is too straight lending it a hardtop like appearance. 

Just another one of those things I guess I notice too much! :P

If I ever decide to revisit this one, I'd make the ribs in the top a bit more subtle, and I'd reshape the sail panels somewhat to make it more like the 1:1. As I mentioned, a lot of up-tops are too blocky appearing for my tastes. When you look at a convertible from a front 3/4 view, the trailing portion of the sail panels always should have some kind of "sag" or droop to it. 

Where the arrow I have pointing is where most kit makers never seem to get right when it comes to modeling convertible tops IMO. You can see here on this Corvette where the rear part of the top sags a bit. Most tops I've seen this area is too straight lending it a hardtop like appearance. 

I'm not sure that I agree with you Bill.

While I do agree with your assessment that a lot of the kit tops can be  little too blocky, the sail panels, if new & properly done, should have very little sag in them.

The top on the Corvette that you pictured looks terrible as far as I'm concerned.

It may have been inherent to this particular top design, but I don't believe it's representative of most tops

Here are a couple of photos of the sail panels on my 11 year old Honda S2000.

As you can see, there is very little sag in this area.

Granted, the tops are probably designed a little better today that the were 60 years ago.

That being said, the top from the Johan '62 Mopar kits are just the reverse in that area.

They're almost bowed "out" rather than sagging.

Steve

photo DSCN5407_zpsj8iut4wk.jpg photo DSCN5408_zpszrkunxmn.jpg

Oh yeah Steve, today's convertible tops especially those manufactured since the '90's are a lot more taut out of the factory than those of old. I have a kit of the first gen Revell Mazda Miata, and its up-top looks pretty much dead on per the 1:1. I'm more referring to cars out of the '50's-'60's where the tops definitely had some sag to the rear.

Maybe not as severe as that Corvette, which was endemic to that particular series (I notice it in Sting Rays too), but nowhere near as blocky as I've seen the kit manufacturers depict.

Edited by MrObsessive
Bad Grammar! :)

Oh yeah Steve, today's convertible tops especially those manufactured since the '90's are a lot more taut out of the factory than those of old. I have a kit of the first gen Revell Mazda Miata, and its up-top looks pretty much dead on per the 1:1. I'm more referring to cars out of the '50's-'60's where the tops definitely had some sag to the rear.

Maybe not as severe as that Corvette, which was endemic to that particular series (I notice it in Sting Rays too), but nowhere near as blocky as I've seen the kit manufacturers depict.

Sag in the rear? That is either an old top. Or one that was not properly redone by the person that redid the top. Even cars in the 40', 50's, and 60's the tops should be fairly taunt. Again if your roof is sagging, it's either old or poorly redone. A person who knows what they are doing, will make the new a top little big to account for future settling in/shrinkage. There maybe a little sagging then. But, in the long run?

Chris, it would be too drawn out here to explain how I did the top on this stillborn '64 GTO project, but I basically modified the existing hardtop that I cut off with some reshaping of the plastic, and some putty.

windows- topupview
right side view
P2180006

Copy of 1962 Corvette 1.JPG

I hear ya Bill.I'm not ready to build the 62 Plymouth yet.just finding what I need for this kit but the top up is what I want for this one.if I don't build what I want then the passion for the build leaves and it will never get done.so looking for a top is important to me.if I can't find one...then making it is next...so thats why the question on how to make a convertible top up for this one...thank you and the others for all the info and pictures.....Chris

Sag in the rear? That is either an old top. Or one that was not properly redone by the person that redid the top. Even cars in the 40', 50's, and 60's the tops should be fairly taunt. Again if your roof is sagging, it's either old or poorly redone. A person who knows what they are doing, will make the new a top little big to account for future settling in/shrinkage. There maybe a little sagging then. But, in the long run?

Scott, every Corvette I've seen of this vintage has had that "curve" or sag as seen in the pic I've posted.

Here's that same car again with a dead on side view...............

1962 Corvette 2.JPG

As you can see in this shot that sag is not as noticeable, and the top appears to be quite taut as intended by the restorers.

My issue with the appearance of most kit tops lies in this area here............

Copy (2) of 1962 Corvette 1.JPG

Here I put different arrows on the original pic to show where this detail on most kit convertible tops I've seen is most lacking. 

This area (most rearward bow) is always too shallow, and doesn't poke out far enough on the sides lending the appearance of the up-top appearing too "blocky" as I mentioned before. This would apply to mostly convertible tops of the '40's through perhaps the '80's. Newer/present day tops that last bow is not as pronounced.

Practically every convertible I've ever seen of those decades I mentioned, including the three that I've owned in the past, have had that last bow poking out like that as that's what holds up the entire rear of the top itself. Some are more pronounced than others------in the case of the 'Vette, it's more due to how the top operates (goes under a lid) as to why it appears the way it does. 

Taking a look at this pic here that Robert posted..........

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah as Steve had mentioned, the top appears to have a bowed out appearance somewhat at the trailing edge of the sail panels, and once again that last bow should be much more pronounced than it is. Just another one of those things I guess I notice "too much", and why I'll take time to fix 'em if I really want that neat up-top look. ;)

Chris - here's another one ending later today, also with the uptop but not painted AND cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/johan-vintage-model-/252528782179?hash=item3acbe36b63:g:HP0AAOSwOdpXzztX

Good luck! If you get either or both of them, you can put the kit you have up with a reasonable opening bid and make back at least part of your money.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I worked a deal with Nova-ss for him to get the original issue '62 with the raised top; I wanted to take some close-up photos of the interior in case anyone wants to try to correct the interior in a USA Oldies reissue. Here you go:

29852299816_6c62679383_c.jpg

29852299646_bf19f904f0_c.jpg

29852299376_0bd46d78eb_c.jpg

29852299236_e165bc366c_c.jpg

29773518332_7aaebfc5e3_c.jpg

To be precise, the seat backs have 9 vertical pleats in each panel (tapering at the top to more like 7); the rear seat bottom has 23 pleats and the front seat base has 11 on either side of the folded-down armrest. Also note the ashtray in the back of the driver's seat. (The steering wheel is installed upside down and may be correct for a Dodge, but not a Plymouth, at least per the dealer brochure - an error by Jo-Han?) Some reissues of the '62 Plymouth have a '63 Plymouth dash; you can see here what needs to be corrected.

Just wish I had the time and talent to do a resin repop of this interior... Hope this helps!