Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 49 Merc woody sedan delivery

Sixties Sam

Well, here is my latest project - a chopped 49 Merc woodie sedan delivery. Resin body on an old 49 Merc chassis & interior I had laying around. It will be curbside - no engine. The body was warped when I got it, but some hot water and a twist fixed that. The body came with no hood, but I have hoods from both the Revell and old AMT 49's, so I figured one of them would fit. Wrong! The AMT hood came closest, so I'm using it, but it's a real pain! I had to shorten it and add strips to widen it, and it still doesn't fit at the cowling! I'll keep at it, I guess! I paneled in the side windows with styrene sheet, and removed the rear window divider. Taillights will be the custom lenses from the Revell 59 chevy convertible. Color will be a bright orange. Here are some pics of it in primer. Still lots of putty and sanding to do!

Sam

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Looks very good. Did you keep the panels for the window separate or did you delete them? I don't see them in the pic of the painted body.

Later- 

Tom, when I sprayed the second coat of orange, the paint wrinkled on the side window panels, so I knocked them out, sanded them down and re-primed them. I'll put them back in after I paint them.