Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aussie shed

aussie_modler

Hi all, 

So this is my first attempt at building a diorama and thus far probably won't be my last. It will be a slow process, as work and family come first.

My base is from an old desk and is cut to 600mm (24") x 300mm (12"). I started with some 2.5mmx75mm sheet and ripped it down to make 2"x4" using the Master Airscrew balsa stripper. All frame work is set to have 600mm centers and has a head height of 3m. Now I know some things are not quiet right, but I'm happy with how it is coming along.

The shed is about 7.5m x 10m and the walls have been made with a 6m length.

20160911_065123.jpg

20160911_152244.jpg

20160911_095209.jpg

Any advice, don't be afraid to give it and comments are always welcome.

This will be an ongoing project and I will update as time permits.

I know nothing is perfect, but sheds/houses aren't built perfect and I've tried to recreate that.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by aussie_modler

Great start Scott, will definitely be following this build!

Thanks Darbo. I will warn you now, you will be following for awhile. lol

Hi Scott-

I see your base is the exact same size as the shed.  Most dioramas have a bit of the yard around them. That's a place to add a lot more detail like old parts, garbage cans and such.

Thanks for the comment Tom. This is going to have more of a front yard then sides. It will have a driveway and some detail in the front.

The bottom wall has a large opening in it to enable camera access and the front wall has the main door in it. The large space to the left will have more details then I care to think about.

Edited by aussie_modler
fixed picture.

I winced when I first saw the photos, but went back to inspect once I read your text. I'm a Structural Engineer and can report that, while not meeting any Building Code, the structure is safe! I've seen many of the things you've done in 1:1 buildings, many "adjustments" for bad cuts with the Rip saw!

I really like what you're doing ... and hope it doesn't snow there soon ... :D

I winced when I first saw the photos, but went back to inspect once I read your text. I'm a Structural Engineer and can report that, while not meeting any Building Code, the structure is safe! I've seen many of the things you've done in 1:1 buildings, many "adjustments" for bad cuts with the Rip saw!

I really like what you're doing ... and hope it doesn't snow there soon ... :D

thanks Foxer, coming from a building background myself I know that is what some builders do. I may add a few more roof trusses yet. I lol alil when you stated it wouldn't meet building codes, what council doesn't know won't hurt them. No snow where i am, onlyb2 weeks into spring and already 30c.

That's looking good! Very realistic construction. I was thinking you need more roof trusses, but I'm from Pennsylvania where we get lots of snow! What will the outside sheeting be? Balsa?

Sam

Thanks Sam, unforunfortunately no snow where I am. I wish we hadsnownthay was clsercloser to us, 16hr drive is abit far for a weekend away. I'm undecided on what the out side will be. I was thinking either a plastruct or evergreen product, but then what would be the fun in that? 

Thanks Sam, unforunfortunately no snow where I am. I wish we hadsnownthay was clsercloser to us, 16hr drive is abit far for a weekend away. I'm undecided on what the out side will be. I was thinking either a plastruct or evergreen product, but then what would be the fun in that? 

Scott, you might consider thin (1/64") plywood, cut into scale size 4'x8' sheets (~2x4") for exterior sheeting. Then paint it. It will look like painted plywood sheeting because.....it is! The 1/64" ply cuts easily with scissors or an old-fashioned paper cutter. 1/32" ply would work, too.

Sam

I have had a large diorama planed for many years been collecting items for it over the years...now just have to find a MRC gas station kit and a few others things for it before i can start..it will be my first one.

I say don't wait, Jump in and start building. It is amazing to watch it come to life.

Edited by aussie_modler

Scott, you might consider thin (1/64") plywood, cut into scale size 4'x8' sheets (~2x4") for exterior sheeting. Then paint it. It will look like painted plywood sheeting because.....it is! The 1/64" ply cuts easily with scissors or an old-fashioned paper cutter. 1/32" ply would work, too.

Sam

Thanks for the tip Sam, that just adds to the confusion for the exterior:unsure:. I was thinking of using balsa to clad it (chamfer board) and tin for the roof. I have way more to worry about for the interior before I start planning the exterior.

You might consider adding some weathering to your interior pieces before everything is secured in place unless this is going to replicate new construction.Will you leave the roof as a removable unit for photography and display?If son some small  tabs in the outside corners can serve as locators for putting in back in place and for stability when handling the whole piece.

You might consider adding some weathering to your interior pieces before everything is secured in place unless this is going to replicate new construction.Will you leave the roof as a removable unit for photography and display?If son some small  tabs in the outside corners can serve as locators for putting in back in place and for stability when handling the whole piece.

Hi Tom, I am planning to detail/weather the inside before I do final fitting. I had planed to make the roof fixed with a cutout in the roof for camera access, but a removable roof would be handy to add further details and placement of vehicles.

Thanks for advice.