Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first ever real problem with a Modelhaus kit.

Back at the end of last year I ordered a 1950 Cadillac curbside kit from Modelhaus.  I received it sometime back around the end of March and added it to my TO DO pile.  I only started working on it a couple of weeks ago, but never fully checked and/or "inventoried" the kit.  Today I was doing the final assembly after finishing the BMF work yesterday.  I installed the trimmed glass, scratchbuilt and attached interior visors and a resin interior rear view mirror.  The headlights, taillights rear quarter chrome side trim pieces and the grille were also attached.  I wanted to attach the front and rear bumpers before installing the interior and then mounting it all to the chassis.  Out of the box I found not one, but TWO rear bumpers...... BUT NO FRONT BUMPER...!!!!!!  W T F ......?!?!?!?

I sent an email to Modelhaus advising them of this "problem" but I'm really not too sure that they'll do anything for me at this point based on what they say on their closed website statement.  This is the very first time I've ever had any issues with Modelhaus kits and I've gotten about a dozen of them over the past years.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they will make and send me a front bumper....... If not...... ??????

It may not have anything to do with the crazy last couple years they have had leading up to the closing. Nobody is immune to an occasional mistake. I ordered a set of the 55 Pontiac front bumpers and surround from them a few years ago. When I went to use them I discovered I had 2 LH bumpers and no RH. Shame on me for not contacting them to fix the issue, now I'm out of luck. I'm sure they would have fixed it if I had let them know.

Yeah, I'm hoping to at least get a response from them.   I know that they've been swamped with orders since they announced that they would be retiring.  I know I should have checked the kit as soon as I received it but I just did not expect to have any problems with missing parts.

Fortunately I placed my "final" order for 4 kits with them back in May before they shut down their website.  I know I won't be getting the stuff until closer to the end of this year, but I'll be sure to check everything out once it all arrives.  Hopefully they will all be good and complete.

It may not have anything to do with the crazy last couple years they have had leading up to the closing. Nobody is immune to an occasional mistake. I ordered a set of the 55 Pontiac front bumpers and surround from them a few years ago. When I went to use them I discovered I had 2 LH bumpers and no RH. Shame on me for not contacting them to fix the issue, now I'm out of luck. I'm sure they would have fixed it if I had let them know.

I'm confused. I own no less than 3 55 Pontiac promo's. The grill is one piece, not two.

I'm confused. I own no less than 3 55 Pontiac promo's. The grill is one piece, not two.

This was part of their custom parts line, not a promo part replacement. The center sheet metal section is separate from the LH and RH bumpers. Really nice piece, just wish I didn't get 2 of the same side.

• 1 month later...

Today I finally received an Email reply from Carol Holthaus.  While obviously apologizing for the error, she said to return the extra rear bumper and they would ship me a front bumper.  Will do ASAP.

They always were and still are still a class act - even though it doesn't really matter anymore.  Good people!

Another update......  I received another update from Carol Holthaus.  I told her that I shipped the extra rear bumper to them yesterday at the Post Office.  She said that they would ship me the front bumper as soon as it is received.

She also advised that it would be about another 5 to 6 months before my order, which I placed on May 19th, would be shipped...!!!  Wow...!!!  I knew that they were inundated with orders but I didn't think it was that bad...!!!

Another update......  I received another update from Carol Holthaus.  I told her that I shipped the extra rear bumper to them yesterday at the Post Office.  She said that they would ship me the front bumper as soon as it is received.

She also advised that it would be about another 5 to 6 months before my order, which I placed on May 19th, would be shipped...!!!  Wow...!!!  I knew that they were inundated with orders but I didn't think it was that bad...!!!

I have been kicking myself for not making a wish list before they closed. After reading this I am no longer upset over it. They have enough to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to talk with Don and Carol at the NNL Nationals in October.Don lost an argument with his table saw and cut the end of three fingers including half of his right index finger.As if that wasn't bad enough while driving Don home from the emergency room Carol hit a large horse that was standing in the middle of the road which totaled their car.Losing a child as they have as an unimaginable hurdle enough in anyone's life(my wife and I still coping with the death if a child over 20 years ago)the saw accident and car wreck just added to the stress.You are right they have always have been and still are a class act.Please keep them in your prayers.

HA HA HA :lol: Thanks Tom, but I really don't think that a wood bumper would look too cool on the front of a stock 1950 Caddy...!!!

Over the years that I have dealt with Modelhaus this did happen a few times  to me . The last time was a few years ago when I ordered new chrome bits for a 1965 Barracuda , when the box arrived I checked every thing in the box against the order form and found the front bumper/grill was missing . Called Carol and told her-she started laughing because that part was sitting on her desk and she didn't know where it belonged . Mistakes happen .

But on a lighter note , Toms comment made me think of the movie  The Godfather , there is a scene that was cut from the original  but does appear in the chopped up TV version where Fat Clemenza  is in his garage showing Michael his brand new Cadillac- he said he ordered it long before the car factory's resumed civilian production and when he finally took delivery it had wood bumpers until they could resume chrome production.