Model Cars Magazine Forum

F100 Custom Stakebed

This started from the MPC Double Flip Pickup which was pretty ugly but had some good bits that were used in other builds, so I had the body left over!

Cabin is sectioned & the roof chopped & narrowed to give more tumblehome. Because I was over enthusiastic with the cutting, the front wheels didn't fit under the guards anymore so I grafted some 40's fenders on & with a bit more filling & filing it should look OK. Wheels are from  $10 toy from the supermarket. I'll do a stake bed on the back with a big keg! Looking at black or metallic green at the moment.

Brian

Thanks for the comments gentlemen

Justin, I'm looking at a fairly small square timber flat bed with some timber rails on the side only. I'm trying to get a styling counterpoint to the smooth clean body.

Trying to nail down the front end at the moment. I have spent the last coupe of hours going through my stash trying all sorts of fronts but nothing worked. Started writing this reply & reread Gator's suggestion about the '58" Chev nose & I remembered I had one so I dug up the box, found the bit & .... mate you are right. It looks like working very well !!! Thanks. Photos to follow when I mock it up

Have a good one

Brian

Thanks for the comments gentlemen

Justin, I'm looking at a fairly small square timber flat bed with some timber rails on the side only. I'm trying to get a styling counterpoint to the smooth clean body.

Trying to nail down the front end at the moment. I have spent the last coupe of hours going through my stash trying all sorts of fronts but nothing worked. Started writing this reply & reread Gator's suggestion about the '58" Chev nose & I remembered I had one so I dug up the box, found the bit & .... mate you are right. It looks like working very well !!! Thanks. Photos to follow when I mock it up

Have a good one

Brian

Brian,

Pleased that you like the idea of the custom front end from the 58' Chevy kit. I will be looking forward to seeing your mock up of that.

Be Well

Gator

Looks like it might work!

Had to narrow it a bit to get it looking right. A little bit of filling & filing to do. I'll cut down the chrome bar grill that came with it & use it & I'll put the headlights behind the grill. The photos make the nose look bigger than it is by the way. I was going to do either a gloss black or metallic green. But Gator's reference to the 50's 60's rods is getting me thinking about candy reds & pearls... still thinking!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the body work is done, just the A pillars to go. Colour is going to be something from the sixties, probably start with a pearl white plus some flames or panels... still thinking. Any suggestions anyone? (please keep it simple, I am not much of a painter)

Brian

I think flames would take attention off of your wonderful creativity. If your starting with pearl white, some panels would work well and could be designed to show off the bodywork. I think a turquoise, or light orchid, or even tangerine might look nice.

Not my model, but it shows a tangerine-red color over pearl white.

Image result for carl casper custom cars

Edited by Draggon

Started on the backend!

Fenders came off the same Chev kit as the front ones, I think (thanks to the Silverfoxx again). Crazy thing was how the whole rear floor of a sedan made an easy tray for a pickup.

That back panel has already come off as its too bland & I want to try to roll a timber floor over a the back some how.

Thanks for the suggestions on the paint. Green & pearl are the favourites so far but I wont know or sure till I get it finished it in primer

Brian

Billy Joe & Jim - I had a similar idea early on but the screen scared me, guess I'll have to give it a go now.

Steve, I like my dremel & saw, they sit under my right hand at all times, although I think my clubmates reckon I should wear a butcher's apron

Bought a can of candy lime green & will add some white pin striping (for now)

Thanks for the feedback, the suggestions have been winners

Brian