Model Cars Magazine Forum

aa/fa revisted

comp1839

with all the AA/FA builds going on i figured i'd through out one i did a while back.....it's '23 ford body i started with (actually donated to me by a very good friend al)  it's modified a bunch. the rest of the car is 100% scratch built. somewhere between 2000 and 2500 hrs. in it as near as i can figure. hopefully it will inspire those who are currently working on or may be considering an altered build. joe, you should be particularly pleased since it's lot's "o" wings. the car sits on a modern funny car style chassis w/ a blown donovan (perhaps my most favorit-ist motor in da world), B&J3 spd. , strange 9" top loader rear.  

got a question....? ask i'll do my best to answer it.

First of all Dave, Congratulations on posting this board's first 1/50 build. That's the only way you could stuff that much detail into one model.

Second of all, Love the wings. They are unsurpassed in all of Modeldum.

Third of all, Altered Fever is apparently contagious. I've been working in secret on an example of exactly how many wings can fit on a Fiat Altered.

I will post pics after my VA appointment later today.

Dave, I do have an actual question concerning the Donovan blower intake manifolds.  I've seen pics where the manifold is not as raised as the one you show here, and the runners don't seem to go to each individual intake port.  I'd like to give this raised and individual port deal a try, just am not sure when (year?) this type was available.  As far as I can tell, the other type of manifold, the more closed and covered version, was somewhat raised as well, just not as open as the type you built.

I have gathered though that both types have a clearly visible valley cover.  Am I right?  Could you offer some insight?

Thanks too for posting such a fine build.

thank you all so very much!!! hope it makes for some good inspiration!!

good question michael. i'm not a drag racing historian but, i'll tell you what i know. i believe the manifold came out in late 74 maybe 75. the was a good article about dale armstrong in car craft magazine and his use of the donovan. there was a great picture of the manifold in that article. had a big donovan moniker right where i put the burst panel on my manifold. there was also another tall version that had the donovan logo on the bottom of the plenum area, not on the front face. both where individual, tall runner style intakes. to my knowledge all of the brands of 392/ donovan blower intakes short runner or long runner  left the lifter valley cover exposed. not to say some one didn't make a manifold that did (i'm sure somebodies uncle jed cast himself one in the back of the shed using pie tins and pop cans)......i've just have never seen one.

Thanks Dave.  Lets go a bit further, OK?

I've sorted out and modified a blower manifold with individual runners to the heads, its flat on top.  The blower though, exactly as in the motor pics above, hangs over the the manifold on the sides.  I've made an aluminum plate to compensate, allowing bolt holes for the blower housing.

Is the base of the blower so wide, or is the part that hangs over the sides some kind of plate that goes between the manifold and blower base?

I realize the blower housing is thick, and the actual area that makes air turbulence is more toward the inside, so that the actual "business area" of the blower is smaller, and would probably fit the smaller intake manifold.  Am I right?  In other words, what hangs over the sides is just metal, and nothing to do with air/fuel.

Could you give some insight?

the blower discharges only in the area i've marked in red. the rest of the blower case is for support.

a company called hot heads makes aluminum 392 heads today and their intake SORT OF  looks like what you need to do.

this should give you the general idea.

not to confuse you even more but, the blower on my altered is designed as a "set back" blower manifold. since blowers with any kind of twist in the rotors always push the air to the front of the blower case. sitting the blower back centralizes the discharge in the manifold. it helps tremendously with fixing the front cylinders being lean. the discharge opening on these blowers differs from what i've posted.

Great info Dave, many thanks!

What I've done is very similar to the Hot Heads deal you show here.   I'll even add another layer of sheet to hide the blower mounting studs completely.  I think my rendition will closely fit the earlier Donovan type of motor.

Those other pics show very tall motors, amazing they stay together.