Model Cars Magazine Forum

WINGED FIAT ALTERED - Buckling In - 1/10/2017

Nytrozilla

Well, that whole plan to get to putty and primer last weekend got blown outta' the water. And don'tcha wanna' know why? Of course you do.

First, the front window will be flush fit, so I had to make a template for the inner frame. I decided it was best to do that before primer........

Then, when I test fit the anti-wheelstand system assembly, found I needed to notch the bottom of the trunk for raised body clearance.

Since I wasn't busy, I decided to experiment with some aluminum heat shields for the headers. I also flattened a couple of pieces of solder for the header cross braces (not in pictures). 

Hopefully lastly, I need to mount the parachute pack.........as soon as I make a parachute pack.........and mounting plate......

I now predict putty and primer before the end of the week. Where have I heard that before? Is there an echo in here?

20161212_104101.jpg20161212_104246.jpg20161212_104441_001.jpg20161212_104500.jpg20161212_104621.jpg

good stuff, joe!!  love the header shields.

the flush mount windshield is sure to make those wings work better. love the progress!! don't rush the paint buddy....plenty "o" time for that. i'm sure you'll have it finished before chris!!!! hehe. (hope chris doesn't beat me up for that one.)

Thanks a lot guys. Lots of pre-Xmas stuff going on, but I managed  to get something done to give a grin or two.

Starting with the parachute backing plate. Not yet pictured are the mounting brackets in metal. I may try a simple clip mount.

Why a clip? The chute packs need to be removable. I'll be making open and closed packs with deployed chutes too!!!!!!

I took a sitting driver figure and chopped the living daylights out of him so he could stand in, or next to, the car.  I think l'll call him Bruce.

The Bat Ears on the helmet will be blended along with the rest of the seams. The gloves will get mini-wings too.

Still more to do on the front window inner frame. The bottom is in place with final fit and glue to come.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays Y'all!!!!!!

20161223_130217.jpg20161223_130223.jpg20161223_130247.jpg20161223_130307.jpg20161223_130350.jpg20161221_100017.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

*****Batman Voice Inflection***** Hey you two!!! Thanks for stopping in :D

It is my sincere wish that all of my MCM Forum Bro's and Bud's had a Wonderful Holiday. I spent 3 days going to different friends and my niece's home.

Now that I can breathe again, (too much eggnog), I hope to start on the chutes today. I picked up yellow construction paper and yellow ribbon to experiment with.

My hope is that the ribbon doesn't fray when It's cut. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll shoot for a late day update.

This is definitely an awesome build.  Love all the detail you are incorporating with it.

"My hope is that the ribbon doesn't fray when it's cut"  You might try brushing some white glue (thinned Elmer's works) along your cut line, let it soak in and dry.  Make the glue area just wide enough so you will be able to cut and have glue on both edges of the cut.  This should keep the ends from fraying.

That's a great idea Ricky. I'll try that. BTW, I have a GrandBrat by that name. 

Brad, if the metal looks familiar, there's a reason for that :D

I'm thinking that NOW would be a great time to make a PB&J with Ruffles potato chips, then hit the hobby room and

verbally abuse some Minions.

Bright idea using yellow ribbon for chute pack material. After I cut a test piece to soak in a diluted solution of Elmer's glue, they stole the roll to

camouflage themselves and I can't find them anywhere. Yes Ricky, I went overboard on your suggestion. That's kinda' what I do.....

Actually, I thought giving the whole deal the treatment would guarantee a uniform color plus imbue a starched firmness I was wanting.

While that dries, I drilled mounting holes into the backing plate. Now, the three pieces of plastic are as follows: The chute mount on the plate, then

the other two are for the open and closed packs. The pieces were originally a set of heads from an unknown engine.

To get an idea of why I wanted big chute packs, I lIke the beefy look of the red one in the second pic. It's from the Tommy Ivo Showboat.

To complete today's progress, I started on the springs that push out the laundry.

Next I'll start slicing up strips of ribbon. Keep your fingers crossed.

20161227_164318.jpg20161227_153034.jpg20161227_153050.jpg20161227_153102.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

I wanted to poke my nose in on everybody to wish all of my MCM Family a Happy New Year.

Thanks also to Gregg and Harry and all the mods for the best home we could have.

I also want to express my deepest regrets for those we lost this year, but especially Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

Talk about working in mysterious ways. They both had a special place in my heart.

A quick update on the parachute. I'm very happy with how the ribbon came out.  I've done some test cuts that look good

and I like the way LocTite works for applying it to the plastic. The Elmer's solution is acting like a barrier to prevent soak-through discoloration.

Pics in a couple of days.

I've been following this one, great work with this cool project! You're always building some wild & cool creations and this one is no different. The overall look is just right, keep the pics coming!

I also want to express my deepest regrets for those we lost this year, but especially Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

Agreed, and I'll gotta add Bill Hines to that list. In a couple of days it's time to sling some lead on my 1:1 project too, and watching Bill's work from the internet has been an inspiration!

Edited by W-409

Thanks for checking in folks.

Hiya Niko! I've seen your builds, both 1/25 and 1/1. We are both aficionado's of "Off The Wall."

I suppose you could call this progress. The chutes have been way more demanding in detail than I anticipated.

When will I learn? Here's what we've got. Pic 1 - Backing plate and mount. I made a new inner plate because the first one was wonky.

Pic 2 - Closed chute configuration. Pic 3 - Open chute configuration. Better springs are in the works.

I wasn't going to talk about the springs, but since you brought it up here's one neat thing. The springs will be inside when the closed chute is on,

then when I put on the open chute packs, just pull them out a little. Neato, right?

Next I'll start chopping up some ribbon while simultaneously crossing my fingers and chewing my nails.

Note to self: Don't forget to allow for chute cords on closed packs, plus D rings for the release cables. OH MAN !! I gotta make release cables and hand levers.

On to the pilot. Did some shaping on the ears, added a utility belt which will get a buckle, and made the glove wings.

Enjoy the pics y'all.

20170104_161553.jpg20170104_161612.jpg20170104_161744.jpg20170104_161755.jpg20170104_161824.jpg20170104_161837.jpg

I have a teeny tiny update due to a teeny tiny item I made for the belt. A buckle.

I believe it is the smallest hand crafted piece I have ever made. Isn't it adorable?

Concerning the belt. The material I used was a strip of Evergreen siding and I failed to notice how thick it was until after the Great Super Glue Attack of 2017.

Thankfully, I fired up my handy dandy Dremel Reality Altering & Shaping Machine and ground away the parts that were not utility belt looking.

With the buckle added, it has possibilities. Next I have the pleasure of primering it to see how many errors I've created.

We'll take it from there. Enjoy.

20170110_102810.jpg20170110_102915.jpg