Model Cars Magazine Forum

New added to Round 2

ranma

Be nice if Round2 would include the "reimagined" 1970 Super Bee / 1968 Road Runner ( et al. ) chassis , etc. , to replace the outdated cachu parts of the Charger ...

...and , add some period-correct custom wheels , too ( Cragar S/S would be correct for a Landy car ) .

Wouldn't matter to me. I would be perfectly fine with the old and outdated MPC metal axle chassis if they want to. I dont display my builds with the chassis up

...But , then again , perhaps Dandy's relatives ( wife , son Robert , daughter Danette , etc. ) would give their blessing to have this kit reissued in its original Dick Landy livery :D . Now THAT is a kit I would buy !

But doesn't Revell have the rights to Landy? At least they've done several of his cars in recent years.

This intrigues me -

MPC-8721/25 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck$31.95

TBA

Considering this kit was perma-modified into a flip-nose tow truck, that was subsequently made into the Monster Truck kit that was just reissued a few months ago, what are we doing with this?  Another run as the flip-nose tow truck street machine? Are they actually going to fix it back to stock, that would sort of eliminate it ever being the monster truck again (not that anyone would actually care). 

Edit - Sorry I didn't check in the Truck Basement before posting this...

Edited by niteowl7710

This intrigues me -

MPC-872 1/25 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck $31.95

TBA

Considering this kit was perma-modified into a flip-nose tow truck, that was subsequently made into the Monster Truck kit that was just reissued a few months ago, what are we doing with this?  Another run as the flip-nose tow truck street machine? Are they actually going to fix it back to stock, that would sort of eliminate it ever being the monster truck again (not that anyone would actually care). 

I would love to have some builder material and leave my originals alone! 

Image result for MPC Datsun pickup

This intrigues me -

MPC-872 1/25 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck $31.95

TBA

I would love to have some builder material and leave my originals alone! 

Image result for MPC Datsun pickup

.........just to be sure in all this Datsun truck talk,,,,,is this photo of Jesse's box the kit getting reissued soon.....I sure hope so for so many of us....the Ace....:)

Well, the General Lee was the Stock Car version originally. Maybe it will be this...

Image result for MPC 69 Dodge Charger

As much as I love old MPC annuals, the '69 Charger would be a mixed bag at best. That body has been through the mill. They should fix the door scoops, the front fender ends near where the grille mounts, the back window is a tunnel back again, but it's not nearly as good as the originals were, the rear valence is a mess (they should just carve it out of the body and make a new separate piece), and the kit has had the wrong hood (a '70/ Daytona hood, judging by the scoops) since after the first run of the Charger 500 kits from the '80's. They also should try to add back the original grille inserts (they have been using the '72 units since the original run of the General Lee). 

Once they get the body back into better shape, then I could see them making the effort to try to give it the retro treatment. I think the wire axle chassis is the very least of that kit's problems. I'm not sure that simply restoring a few long lost parts and putting them in a retro box is going to enable many people who know that kit to pony up for new ones at today's prices, not even me.

All that being said, I still love that tool. I must own about 20 of them now, and must have owned 35 or so (in various versions) lifetime. I grew up building a bunch of those General Lees...

As much as I love old MPC annuals, the '69 Charger would be a mixed bag at best. That body has been through the mill. They should fix the door scoops, the front fender ends near where the grille mounts, the back window is a tunnel back again, but it's not nearly as good as the originals were, the rear valence is a mess (they should just carve it out of the body and make a new separate piece), and the kit has had the wrong hood (a '70/ Daytona hood, judging by the scoops) since after the first run of the Charger 500 kits from the '80's. They also should try to add back the original grille inserts (they have been using the '72 units since the original run of the General Lee). 

Once they get the body back into better shape, then I could see them making the effort to try to give it the retro treatment. I think the wire axle chassis is the very least of that kit's problems. I'm not sure that simply restoring a few long lost parts and putting them in a retro box is going to enable many people who know that kit to pony up for new ones at today's prices, not even me.

All that being said, I still love that tool. I must own about 20 of them now, and must have owned 35 or so (in various versions) lifetime. I grew up building a bunch of those General Lees...

Why invest a ton of money in a vintage tool, when having a newly tooled wire axle snapper in the inventory.

Then there's also the competitor from Elk Grove Village, with the late '90s designed full detail kit....

IMHO they should scrap this tired tool, together with those of the '67, 70 & 71-72 GOAT, and invest that in much more viable projects....

(I'm assuming this is the General Lee kit, packaged with a generic name...:)

MPC-878

1/25 1969 Dodge Country Charger R/T Charger

Where was this listed?  Did not see that anywhere.

I'd recognize that Stevens International formatting anywhere B)

http://www.stevenshobby.com/  

Why invest a ton of money in a vintage tool, when having a newly tooled wire axle snapper in the inventory.

Then there's also the competitor from Elk Grove Village, with the late '90s designed full detail kit....

IMHO they should scrap this tired tool, together with those of the '67, 70 & 71-72 GOAT, and invest that in much more viable projects....

Yup. They got all of about 6 months to sell the snapper before the WB license ended.   I expect a snapper with a bunch of goofy decals along the lines of the USA-1 63 Vette or the Spiderman VW.  I asked and all I got was "all we got was the name and price" so I don't know exactly what it'll be but whatever it is they're not sinking a lot of money into it at that price point.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

Hmmmm....:

POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA221/25 Big Rig Trucking Graphics Decals$11.95TBA
POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA231/25 Road Racing Graphics Decals$11.95TBA
POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA241/25 Rat Rod Graphics Decals$11.95TBA

Hmmmm....:

POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA221/25 Big Rig Trucking Graphics Decals$11.95TBA
POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA231/25 Road Racing Graphics Decals$11.95TBA
POLAR LIGHTSPLL-MKA241/25 Rat Rod Graphics Decals$11.95TBA

Those would be the parts pack decal sets they were taking suggestions for a couple months ago.  No idea why Stevens has them listed under Polar Lights.  

Those would be the parts pack decal sets they were taking suggestions for a couple months ago.  No idea why Stevens has them listed under Polar Lights.  

Yeah that seemed odd. Does MH have 'em listed as an AMT Parts Pack item?

Yeah that seemed odd. Does MH have 'em listed as an AMT Parts Pack item?

I don't plan on taking pre-orders for them so I haven't made a listing for them yet.  I'll list them under whatever they say on the package.  Round 2 uses the MKA prefix for their Star Trek decal sheets I guess that's why they're listed as Polar Lights.  

• 1 month later...

You knew this was coming...:wacko:

AMT 1068      1/25 George Barris Fireball 500 - Commemorative packaging

This is new, too:

AMT-1064 1/25 Bobby Allison's 1972 Coca Cola Chevy Monte Carlo Race Car

This is new, too:

Were did you see these????  I had talked to John about the Monte Carlo for a while......

This is new, too:

I still have two or three Fireball 500s I bought at Walmart just for the trailers. I've always thought that car had an ugly nose. Recently I was going through a bag of random parts I'd bought and found a stock '65 Valiant grille/headlights/bumper. I'm gonna nail it on a F500 body and build it like a factory showcar.

http://www.stevenshobby.com/productlisting.aspx

I'm assuming this'll be the Monte kit previously reissued by Stevens(?) back in the RC2 days, with new decals and box art?

It SHOULD be the restored kit we did with RC2 via Model King. Generic on the box top but I put a number of real car decals in the kit.  Model King paid to restore the kit....body was badly damaged. Also missing a number of parts which were retooled.