Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help identifying this wrecker

This little fella rescued my sister after her transmission failed last weekend.  

20160910_185130.thumb.jpg.4b03084b55dd38I asked her to grab some more pics (I was 300 miles away), which she didn't, but she did ask the guy about the truck and he told her it was a 4 year old Ford with a gas engine.  My eyes are telling me this is either a Vulcan 881 or 882 with a composite body on a F-series 164" wheelbase (84" CA) wrecker, but the cabinets are throwing me for a loop. 

I'm used to seeing the compartments like these, with that taller tunnel cabinet behind the cab and a shorter cabinet next to the wheels.

IMAG0774.jpg

vulcan-881-882-2.jpg

Has anybody seen a similar modification of a composite body wrecker with larger storage cabinets or know of a company that is doing similar modification? 

Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys.  I will admit that Miller Industries website has a lot of good information, but I wish they would include more information on their customization options.  Heck, I had to go to Zip's to find owner manuals and parts lists.  You would think that as the largest manufacturer of towing and recovery vehicles in the United States, they would want to highlight their custom pieces a little more.  Almost all of their examples are the standard configurations with very few options listed.  I guess the fire truck/ambulance manufacturers really spoiled me with all of their spec drawings.

Next step is to find a 1/25 scale cab for this build...going to have to cut up a Meng.

Heck, I had to go to Zip's to find owner manuals and parts lists. 

Next step is to find a 1/25 scale cab for this build...going to have to cut up a Meng.

Actually, Miller has the manuals too. On the upper right corner of the page I linked, there is a link to the parts and repair manuals, even the big rotators! 

And don't worry, you aren't the only one that is planning to cut up a Meng F350!! :lol: I actually have plans to cut up two!! :o The second is a wild idea staying in my brain  until I start it, but the other will be a single cab wrecker. I just haven't decided yet if it will be a wrecker or a rollback yet. :)

If you are a little unsure about cutting up a Meng first, try a Revell/Monogram F350 first since they have just been reissued and cheaper than a Meng F350. It isn't too hard to shorten it, I started this one a few years ago to build a replica of my 1:1.

Edited by highway

I believe Gregg had an article in MCM a couple of issues back on modifying the Meng into a single cab for an ambulance project. Pretty detailed photos and IIRC it came out nice.

Would love to see a modern wrecker body for 1 ton trucks, even better if it were a whole new kit!

It is a Vulcan unit, with metal cabinets. I'm not sure what the model number is though. There's a large tow company here in town that has a couple like that one.

Century offered a similar unit . I used to be a subcontractor to the company in Ft Worth in the 1980's

Highway, the hardest part for me when cutting down cabs is getting the trim molding off after I've cut the cab down.  I always seem to forget to shave if off before I cut the cab up.  This one is going to become an FDNY Tactical Support Truck, eventually, when I find time to actually build something.

20160925_220222.thumb.jpg.0a4af290b89dfd

Mike, I'll keep a lookout for Issue 200, although I'll probably have to order a "back" issue to get my hands on a print copy now.  I checked the LHS (50 miles away) but they had already pulled it.  Oh well, still have to track down a Meng, the LHS guy just laughed when I asked if he could order one for me.  I guess that's why they made the internet.