Model Cars Magazine Forum

anybody build the testors/imc 48 ford?

i was digging around in my attic and i totally forgot i had this kit.

2uyp0go.jpg

any of you guys ever build it or the hard top cousin? I plan on building it as a 46 as a replica of biff tannen's car. i wanna know if ill have any problems building and is there anything that you guys could tell me about this kit. I originally wanted to build this car out of the rare pro modeler 48 but i had no way of converting the 48 into a 46 like i can with this kit. any info and tips would be MOST helpful!

Edited by Dave McFly

:blink: Dave, nota hard kit to build if you got the time an patience(and four hands,four arms etc,). Its somewhat confusing as to why its body is molded in peices like it is.I built the coupe and with some tape to hold every thing together while the glue dries, it can come out ok.I wouldnt buy another one now that the Revell kit is out though.Take your time with it and you'll be pleasently surprised! :D;)

Dave, I built one in the early '90's and while it's not a difficult kit, patience is needed especially when hinging the doors.

Mine swing out as intended, but don't swing out wide enough for my liking. Some manipulation of the hinges may be needed-------but other than that there were no major surprises.

I built mine in the same color as the one on the box.................If I get time, maybe I can find it and dig it out and snap a few pics of it.

This is an old kit and the mold is wearing out. Everytime it is re-released ( different manufacturer or just offered again ) the parts fit shows problems. The original IMC kit was great with little problem in the "parts fitting" catagory. The biggest problen that I had on my last build was the fit between the hood and the windshield cowl area. It was fixable but took a little effort. Generally it is a good kit and worthy of the efforts needed to complete it.

bob

This is an old kit and the mold is wearing out. Everytime it is re-released ( different manufacturer or just offered again ) the parts fit shows problems. The original IMC kit was great with little problem in the "parts fitting" catagory. The biggest problen that I had on my last build was the fit between the hood and the windshield cowl area. It was fixable but took a little effort. Generally it is a good kit and worthy of the efforts needed to complete it.

bob

I remember TRYING to build the original IMC kit as an extremely-impatient 12-year old back about 1970. It was a very fine kit for its day, but definitely not for the faint of heart. I might be able to do it justice now that I have at least as much patience as skill! :o

Let's just say, I was elated when the ProModeler '48 convertible and woody came out in the 90s!

If the kit seems daunting, you might try and put the "46" specific parts on the Revell. I have two of the older kits, one Testor's and one IMC. Both are convertibles. I do certainly remember building them as a kid, and I really want to attempt the IMC one this year.

Here's what happens to them around our house. My brother built this 1-1 using an original dirt track car from the very early sixties and the fenders and doors from a sedan to "iron out the wrinkles" on the body.

Here's one I built for a Nascar racer friend of mine, Roy Tyner. It was the closest body I could get to his '37 "business coupe" bodied car that he ran at his home track of Red Springs NC. He ran it in all eleven races at the track before they shut it down just after he won his 11th consecutive race there. Yep, he won'em all and the fans stopped coming and they shut it down. Guess there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, huh?

Can't remember if it was an original IMC or the first Testor's reissue in the black box but even with "welding" all the doors and other panels shut the fit was pretty bad, even then. I cut one of the only two pics of it I had, on a Johan Sho-case base, out and put it in front of my shop.

ROYSHOP.jpg

I built the hard top back in the 80s. I seem to remember the hardest part was getting all the body pieces together (left & right body sides, left & right window area & the top & trunk) all together and in line. If you do the convertible, you wont need to worry about it. I will admitt that other than the body and interior, I did not use too many of the rest of the parts from the kit. The front seat is pretty cool. It is a bench seat that folds forward. A little time on this kit will go far. Here is how mine turned out.

46frnt34.jpg

46and40.jpg