Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model railroad parts?

Jantrix

We have a huge cottage industry for this hobby. What about model railroad? Is anyone creating refurb kits for older railroad pieces? I have this engine with HUGE sentimental value that I'd love to restore from what my childhood did to it. It needs handrails and a horn. Anyone got any ideas? It's an AHM piece.

It's an Alco RS-2 series road switcher. After AHM died, it reappeared under the Model Power name.

You can buy a complete one for parts for under $10, one in good condition for around $15-$25, around $50 for excellent in the box. Ebay.

The Walthers catalog Spike mentioned is a good start for upgrade parts.  There's a fair bit of aftermarket detail available, from scale-correct handrails, grab-irons, steps and stanchions to horns, cab interiors, photo-etched grilles and cab window awnings, and air cylinders, brake parts and working couplers.

Also Precision Scale.   Image result for alco diesel HO detail parts         http://www.precisionscaleco.com/detail.htm

Try a Google search for "Alco RS HO detail parts" too.    

Also try Cal-Scale, Detail Associates, Bowser-trains.com, caboosehobbies.com, hobbylinc, toytrainheaven.com,  

ebay for complete used locomotives and parts.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate it. This was a gift from my grandfather who worked and retired from Erie Lackawanna. I'm not going to restore it, because anything old should have a  little wear, but I would like to replace the broken/missing parts. I'll look into all these leads. You guys rock. 

Thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate it. This was a gift from my grandfather who worked and retired from Erie Lackawanna. I'm not going to restore it, because anything old should have a  little wear, but I would like to replace the broken/missing parts. I'll look into all these leads. You guys rock. 

Rob...here's a set of handrails.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-AHM-RS-2-diesel-switcher-parts-walkways-railings-window-material-excellent-/162189772531?hash=item25c34386f3:m:mqQiE2l0R0E0joeI8pRYYog

Image result for AHM HO RS2 handrails

Edited by Ace-Garageguy