Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Camaro build and review

charlie8575

One of the nice perks of working in a hobby shop now is that I can get access to some of the newer kits a little quicker. 

When the new snap-together 2016 Camaro SS came out from AMT, I decided I wanted to get one. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the new Camaros, although I don't think they're a bad-looking car. But more importantly, it is an imperative that this kit sells well. If these sell well, I really hope AMT takes the queue and starts tooling up more new stuff- both newer cars and perhaps a few of the classics we'd like to see. 

I will say this- I like what I see. A very well-done kit, and it looks like it'll be pretty easy to assemble. 

As soon as I can get some pictures uploaded, which I'm working on now, I'll be posting them.

Charlie Larkin

For simplicity's sake, I took pictures with my phone, and had to wait for it to re-charge.

The body is very nice. However, like most other efforts at molding metallic-esque colored plastic, this didn't work as well as I think AMT had hoped. The color, however, is consistent, with no swirling. 

The chassis plate is very nicely engraved, and with some detail painting, will come right up with minimal effort and trouble. 

As my dad put it, "for $26.95 for a snap kit, it had better be good." 

With some paint and a little effort, this will truly be outstanding. Dad still looks cross-eyed at most snaps, but when I showed him the parts, the pre-printed windows with blackout and defroster grids in place, he was impressed, and he's not an easy man to impress. 

Thanks Charlie,  I have been quite curious

about that kit. My hopes are same as yours,

also it might recruit some younger builders!

David S.

P.S.- I'm going to buy a red one!!

I started experimenting with paint, and found that Tamiya Clear Red lacquer, applied directly to the red plastic, REALLY makes it look like the Garnet Red Tintcoat that AMT was attempting to re-create.

I'm toying with doing the white/black interior for something a tad different. 

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the heads up Charlie! I definitely want the glue kit the next time I'm either at the club meeting or at my LHS. For whatever reason I hardly ever see these on the road! Certainly nowhere near as many as I do new Mustangs.

Perhaps the styling change is a put-off for some buyers? I happen to like the looks of it, however I sat in one and it was mighty claustrophobic inside! :blink:

That's good to hear the Tamiya clear will go over the bare plastic without etching it. Good news for those that don't want to mess with paint, and keep the colored plastic as is.

Thanks for the heads up Charlie! I definitely want the glue kit the next time I'm either at the club meeting or at my LHS. For whatever reason I hardly ever see these on the road! Certainly nowhere near as many as I do new Mustangs.

Perhaps the styling change is a put-off for some buyers? I happen to like the looks of it, however I sat in one and it was mighty claustrophobic inside! :blink:

That's good to hear the Tamiya clear will go over the bare plastic without etching it. Good news for those that don't want to mess with paint, and keep the colored plastic as is.

For giggles, I sat in one of these, and while I'm nowhere near as tall as you, it is tight! What amazed me is that the seat, when moved back enough for me to fit, is literally against the back seat with absolutely 0 legroom. Not much space between me and the roof, either. Bumps will be fun. 

Tamiya's lacquers seem to be quite plastic-safe. I painted my PT Cruiser in their Maroon over the red plastic, and have never had a bit of trouble. The Clear Red gives the metallic in the plastic a nice pop, while bringing up the gloss considerably. I suspect a clear top-coat would absolutely make this sparkle. 

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

A few more pictures.

The wheels look nice, but will need to be stripped and painted with some bright silver to look more like the real thing. I'm thinking about Tamiya Gloss Aluminum. I'm open to other ideas. 

The tires look good, even un-branded. I don't know if there's a licensing problem (does it surprise anyone anymore?) or if they simply couldn't do it small enough, but the tread looks great. 

The window unit comes pre-printed and ready to install. The underside is textured nicely and will do a very good job of simulating the headliner. 

The headlights and taillights are also nice. The headlight lenses (and possibly the area behind them) will need a little detail painting. 

Some paint will make the brake disks come to life. The molding is very nice. 

The wiper blades should be semi-gloss black. 

The seats and door panels are nicely done and will be gorgeous when painted. 

The interior bucket is also nicely done, and again, with a small bit of paint, will come to life. 

The spoilers and side-view mirrors look good, too. The sprue was cut to do a little paint experimentation. 

Charlie Larkin

$26.95?!?!? You guys charge LIST? Geez I hope you at least got some sort of employee discount cause I just picked up the full tilt boogie glue kit for 4 1/2 bucks less. (SnapIt priced @$19.50)

I do; we also offer 20% to members of recognized regional and national clubs.

I picked one up today, at first thought it was the detailed kit, so was surprised that I paid top dollar in Canadian funds (just over thirty bucks!) for a snap kit!!! It is a nice kit, yet very much overpriced.

I will agree that for a snap, it's a bit more than I'd like to see. I think, in all honesty, the sweet-spot for the snap-kits will be about $15-20, although Revell may be moving their prices on whatever they're calling the ex-Wheels of Fire series to close to this (!) All I can say is if they're going to start charging Tamiya prices, they better start having the product to back it up.

I've had a busier-than-planned week. More pictures and updates to come this weekend.

Charlie Larkin