Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realize that the actual Love Bug (Herbie) began life as Walt Disney's daily driver--a 1963 VW Beetle--and no model company has ever kitted that model year of Volkswagen, as far I've been able to determine.  The Polar Lights VW is a '66, and  makes a reasonable facsimile--but there are a few minor detail differences in the body shell.

Art

Art, wasn't the old IMC VW kit a '63? I built one many years ago, and it had the smaller back window that the Bugs would have had through '64(?).

That's one of the very few styling cues I can tell from VW's back then from one particular model year to the next. Other than that, they all look the same to me! :D

Art, wasn't the old IMC VW kit a '63? I built one many years ago, and it had the smaller back window that the Bugs would have had through '64(?).

That's one of the very few styling cues I can tell from VW's back then from one particular model year to the next. Other than that, they all look the same to me! :D

Here is a rough summary of exterior changes the Beetle went through. 

'38-'52:  Split rear window.

'53-'57:  Oval rear window, fender mounted turn signals added in '55, overrider bumpers introduced on US cars in '56.

'58-'64:  Rectangular rear window, windshield enlarged, turn signals moved to top of fenders, taillights enlarged in '62, license plate lamp changed in '64.

'65-'67:  All windows enlarged, upright headlamps introduced on US cars in '67 (euro cars had the sloped headlamps for one more year).

'68-Up:  Larger rectangular bumpers, shortened hood and decklid, external gas filler door added.

Edited by lilcraigford