Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Ford Hardtop News

regular guy

Builders

This is on the way according to Autoworld website,

http://round2corp.com/product/1957-ford-hardtop/

It should have a Y Block engine in it.

You had to wait until '58 to get an FE or MEL big block.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_Ford

Looks like AMT went with dragstrip version, that's cool!

Regular Guy

Edited by regular guy

I won a local contest with one of those back in the late 80s, I think.   It had the stock version, plus the Budnik wheels and late model seats and some engine dress up.   That version did.  I still have a 56 to build.  Would be nice combined with best parts from Revell.  

I wonder if anyone will use the much-more-accurate front clip to fix the Revell '57s and offer them in resin?

Charlie Larkin

I'd lend out my corrected body to anyone that wished to cast it.

I fixed the front header, fenders, quarters and fins. Did one sedan and one Del Rio. Now I am done with the Revell 57 Fords, no time to fix stuff

Edited by Sledsel

Builders

This is on the way according to Autoworld website,

http://round2corp.com/product/1957-ford-hardtop/

It should have a Y Block engine in it.

You had to wait until '58 to get an FE or MEL big block.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_Ford

Looks like AMT went with dragstrip version, that's cool!

Regular Guy

outstanding news, Bob, and thanks for the heads up. always liked that box art, and will build a basic one exactly painted as shown......Round2 all the way.......the Ace....:D

the Ace

You're welcome!

What's needed next is a 'What's in the box?' report.

Pictures of all the parts trees and all sides of the box.

Thanks!

Bob, I would bet the farm on the following.....new, larger impressive decal sheet, the new slicks and tires in general, the mini box that I use to mix  or blend brush paint on....lol...:lol:...and if we are lucky, some killer tinted glass for the gasser version......just my 2 cents....the Ace...;)

Ace Norton has the right of it. I'll bet he is about 100% correct on the contents, of the kit.

I only hope that Round2 ditches the 1980's wheels and restores the rims that were in the kit originally. I don't know that there is much else that could be put back into the kit. I'm in for One, at least.

Nice to see an old friend back in action. I have several reissues in the closet but I might buy another if they are including some of the old custom parts. Remember the Edsel wagon tail lights ? I think the clunky door hinges could easily be replaced or fixed to work better. I did a build last year where I trans planted the hardtop to the new Revell tudor and they meet up almost perfectly.

the Ace

The parts your looking for are Drag or Race parts.

Someone from Autoworld ought to post pictures of what's in the kit.

Other forum guys want custom parts.

I think the Styline parts are a tough go because that would make it a curbside kit.

Wonder if thats's what a Grand Slam version kit is?

From Racing parts and custom parts to Styline/Advanced Customizing with real suspension?

Regular Guy

Edited by regular guy

I just happen to have an original AMT 57 Ford kit.  Here is what was included in it.  From what I understand, the box art of the one shown on Round2s website was the LAST version to have all the custom parts in it.  We shall see if Round2 was able to restore it all.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

20.jpg

Ace Norton has the right of it. I'll bet he is about 100% correct on the contents, of the kit.

I only hope that Round2 ditches the 1980's wheels and restores the rims that were in the kit originally. I don't know that there is much else that could be put back into the kit. I'm in for One, at least.

The "original" rims are a set of baby moons that go on the open rims that are included in the kits. I think the one below had this tree not chromed, so the baby moons, exhaust pipes, custom steering wheel, and fuel injection tubes were white plastic.

yb57f.jpg

The original Flashback-box issue did NOT have the Stylizing parts.  The issue prior to it did.  In 1971 or so, both the Ford and the '57 Chevy were reworked to remove those parts, and were reboxed.  The Ford got the Flashback box, the Chevy became the second (turquoise) Pepper Shaker.

The original Flashback-box issue did NOT have the Stylizing parts.  The issue prior to it did.  In 1971 or so, both the Ford and the '57 Chevy were reworked to remove those parts, and were reboxed.  The Ford got the Flashback box, the Chevy became the second (turquoise) Pepper Shaker.

Okay, my bad.  I am not as familiar with the earlier issues of this kit.

Since several parts were moved from the Blue box art Lesney/Ertl kit

and the next issue

I Doubt we will see any of the Custom parts back

As can be seen in the pic's of the Original issue

Up to and including the Blue kit

Both front & rear suspension were on the chrome trees

in the Wally's box, and any others after the Blue box

the lower front A Arms piece & the 2 pc rear axle were moved off the chrome trees

and are bare plastic

That leads me to believe many of the Custom parts not seen since the

Original run of the Flashback box art, have been lost permanently

I myself would Love the 3 pc trophy and floor globe lights again!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan
typos

Robert Voyles

Thank you for doing that work to post a very complete set of pictures!

Amazing all the info on box.

Back then they worked hard to get that $1.99 out of customer.

Those pictures motivated me to see if they still made Candy Apple paints

like the little cans on box.

They do.Good ole' Testors.

Thanks!

• Xingu locked this topic