Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Tale of Two Ponys

MoparMark

Here are two cars I did not too long ago. I wanted to do a different version of the Trojan Horse and wasn't too thrilled with the AMT kit so I started from scratch. It's a curse most of us modelers are afflicted with. I modified the comp resins mustang body by stretching it a little, adding wheel humps, and changing the angle of the spoiler. Scratch built the chassis, fuel cell, headers,header covers,and all the tinwork.I remolded the body with the alterations and decided to try to make a mini metal flake gel coat body.I sprayed two part urethane clear coat into the silicone mold, spread the metal flake over the clear while its still wet. Then I let the clear coat cure completely removed all the flake that didn't stick to the clear coat then backed the metal flake with black tinted resin. Doing it this way helps keep the outer details intact without wiping everything out with metal flake plus clear over that. I also made the decals cause I like the deep purple blue rather than the AMT black. After going through all this I felt I needed to build the AMT Trojan Horse for a fun pure stock build, also to compare the two when all is said and done.     Thanks for looking,Mark20150517_143512.thumb.jpg.523fa632309a6e20150517_144003_001.thumb.jpg.f2604fbb2220150517_143753.thumb.jpg.7f0d04747c38bb20150517_143344.thumb.jpg.a3ab16940f4283Scan10032.thumb.JPG.7826cbc5a3e5269fe23b

Very nice, I love the final results on your build. The AMT kit falls a little short . The AMT kits of this era have always peaked my imagination, the Mopower Satelitte, Dragray Corvette, the Vega Kammback, and Pinto funny cars, crazy body shapes just beg to be built. I think the Trogan Horse is the only one I've seen built.

The rear tires are from the later Revell funnycar kits. I put the tire on a mandrill and sand them flat first to get rid of the injection marks then round the side walls to get a fuller look to them.The two half tires that came with the old kits just didn't do it for me. I made a M&H vacuform stencil for the logo just like the company did. thanks 

Tremendous build! The scratch built chassis looks so much better than AMT's. Most of the funnys of this era had gone from the front axle with fuel tank behind to the furl tank in front. The body looks tremendous. You captured the gel coat metal flake quite well. 

There's so many greats here.....I can't list them. Tremendous.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/22/2016 at 11:50 PM, MoparMark said:

I made a M&H vacuform stencil for the logo just like the company did. thanks 

I would love to know how you did that and see more of your work.  How'd you learn all this cool stuff?