Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan? What? Huh? This cannot be real.

The 71 Mercury Comet was suppose to be the Johan mold that's the only one I know..

It's been, what, 20 years now? But I seem to remember the Comet, the Scrambler, the '71 Cuda, and maybe the '70 4-4-2 in Testor boxes being touted as "Pro Streets." But I could be wrong.

I want a Scrambler, I bought a couple off eBay but all of them had crushed bodies. Would like to get an AMX along with the photo-etch.

Mike if you've got my number I might have one for you..Unbuilt and not crused..Give me a call..You've got to look up my number because I will not post it on the computer..

just my 2 cents.....Johan was my favorite of all  of Detroit's big 3 being of course AMT, MPC, and JOHAN. they were basic and usually easy to build, yet the bodies and general look of most were just so darn nice. if I told you what I paid for a sealed 69 GTX Johan original last spring, you'd have me committed. but, to me, all the best of their kits  is worth every cent if they hold a special place in your heart for one reason or another. the 69 and 70 Roadrunners, GTX, 68-72 442s, Comet and Mavericks, SC/Rambler and AMXs, and a handful of others are some of the greatest IMO, but I doubt we will see them again reissued if the molds are history......the Ace....:mellow:

just my 2 cents.....Johan was my favorite of all  of Detroit's big 3 being of course AMT, MPC, and JOHAN. they were basic and usually easy to build, yet the bodies and general look of most were just so darn nice. if I told you what I paid for a sealed 69 GTX Johan original last spring, you'd have me committed. but, to me, all the best of their kits  is worth every cent if they hold a special place in your heart for one reason or another. the 69 and 70 Roadrunners, GTX, 68-72 442s, Comet and Mavericks, SC/Rambler and AMXs, and a handful of others are some of the greatest IMO, but I doubt we will see them again reissued if the molds are history......the Ace....:mellow:

And I'd add the '68-'70 Javelins to your list. I've managed to accumulate a couple of those, and would love to have more.

In my personal rating of model companies I've always put JoHan in the first place, with MPC and early (pre-Lesney) AMT closely vying for second. They had some of the best bodies of any kit manufacturer.  

Looking at the picture, I also see Accu-Cast plans to come back. I remember the name  but that's all. Anyone remember them or what kits they did?

Heck, I'd be happy with just the '70. Hey Snake if you've too many of those....................:rolleyes:

I'm light on '70s. Bought one "restorable" one, built as a TransAm, on eBay, and then acquired a (Jimmy Flintstone?) resin body with actual TA fender flares (they're pretty subtle). The glue bomb will be restored as a stocker, and then I'll see if I have enough goodies left (have some things on order from Modelhaus) to do the resin body as a true TA racer.

I got a couple '68 promos ("distressed," and thus cool for modifying) but was never able to score a '69. Apparently they're rarer and bring higher prices. But that's okay, I'm good. B)

Did any member here attend either show this weekend and get any more info?

He was at the DuPage show with a table and the usual stuff he's carted around before.  He had decal sheets available also and the usual parts box to pick through.  He had 1 59 Rambler, unsealed, for $35, a couple of Turbine cars and a few other of the 50's cars but I didn't get around to asking any questions as there was someone going through the parts box and I didn't want to interrupt a sale

He was supposedly at the Columbus, IN show saturday... however I was in Zanesville, OH at the Y-city show. 

Last year he was at NNL in Toledo, and at the C.A.R.B's show in Dayton. So we'll see this year if he comes. I'll be at both so I plan to pick up another AMX and some photo etch if there's any left.