Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sources for Horn Toad or Red Barron like engine?

Hi,

Curious of any one has an inexpensive source for engines that look similar to those found in Monograms;

Horn Toad

Rattler

Rad Baron

These engines looks amazing!

The first two kits are totally beyond my wallet as I've seen em go for the $100 -$500.

The third is affordable but still, at >$40 it's a bit much

A pic for ref;

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/horn_toad1.html

The Horn Toad engine (and pretty sure the Rattler too)  is a takeoff on the old Pontiac OHC inline 6. 

The Red Barron engine is an underscale rendition of a WW I German aircraft engine (sorry, I forgot which one; creeping senility, ya' know?).

Modifying some old inline six with a scratched head, headers, and Weber carbs or fuel-injection will probably be your best bet.

Just an interesting FYI: When a full-scale replica of the Red Barron was built...well after the model was designed...a Pontiac OHC six was used for the engine, as no appropriately-sized aircraft inlines actually existed.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just an interesting FYI: When a full-scale replica of the Red Barron was built...well after the model was designed...a Pontiac OHC six was used for the engine, as no appropriately-sized aircraft inlines actually existed.

I was just gonna mention that. And of course that engine is found in (I belive) every issue and reissue of the old MPC '69 Firebird, and even in some '80s boxings of the MPC '69 Camaro (it also had the Pontiac V8 and possibly a Firebird interior), so there are plenty of them floating around out here in Model Car World.

Another more exotic looking six cylinder is the one in the Revell Datsun 240Z kits. Most versions have Webers included IIRC. You'd be on your own for the funky exhausts, though.

That's a good looking engine. I seem to recall that only the BRE race-version had the Webers, but I could be wrong.

Another Weber-equipped in line is the Mopar slant-six engine in the old AMT XR6 double kit...though it's a pushrod engine, not an OHC.

Image result for xr6 hot rod amt kit

The inline-6 in Tamiya's Jaguar Mk II Saloon looks very nice. The race version has Weber carbs.

Roden offers a model of a 1/32 Mercedes engine as used in the Albatross D. III. Add Webers and custom headers and that would make a heck of a show rod engine. <ahem> if it's the right size.

Edited by LDO

Hi,

Curious of any one has an inexpensive source for engines that look similar to those found in Monograms;

Horn Toad

Rattler

Rad Baron

These engines looks amazing!

The first two kits are totally beyond my wallet as I've seen em go for the $100 -$500.

The third is affordable but still, at >$40 it's a bit much

A pic for ref;

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/horn_toad1.html

I was able to get my Red Baron kit at a club meeting, still sealed and in the collector tin for $15, and it came out rather nice.