Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG Hummer H1, first look

martinfan5

Sweet! How did I not know about this? I've always wanted a full detail H1 kit. :D

Based on the transmission pan, it appears to be the 3-speed 3L80 offered only in 1992 and 1993, so it is the non-turbo 6.2 Diesel.

If you were to modify the engine to look like the 6.5 non-turbo, and the transmission to look like the 4L80E, then you could make any H1 up to 1998.

If you were adventurous, you could add a turbo system to make the 6.5 Turbo-diesel.

If you wanted to be different/weird, you could even drop in a 5.7 gas V8 which was offered in 1995 and 1996.

Edit: the only thing tripping me up is from my research, the wagon only offered the tailgate at the rear until 1995, which was the first year for the "ambulance doors".

Edited by Jordan White

• 1 month later...

About those tires.....
Just found this elsewhere, need to share.
Even Meng is avoiding royalty fees....
Note: "BF Gaadrich Bojo T/A's"

Yep, I missed that when I was doing my review video , I that is a sign I need to get my eyes checked again,  anyways, the funny part, in the instruction sheet, you can clearly see the tires say "Goodrich"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received this kit for Christmas, and just sat down to compare it to year-by-year changes that I found. Here's my results:

1) Engine appears to represent the GM 6.5 non-turbo diesel (no parts appear to represent a turbo). This engine was available from 1994 until 1998, though the 10 blade fan indicates 1996-1998.

2) Transmission appears to mostly resemble the 4l80E based on slanted pan and round indent, though the cut-out does slightly resemble the TH400.

3) The body itself is fairly standard across the years, but the ambulance doors indicate 1995 and up, while the vents aft of the rear-side windows were on 1997 or newer models.

4) The wheels are meant to resemble the two-piece runflat wheels with central tire inflation, which were offered on 1995 and older models, newer models had one-piece steel wheels (and later aluminum).

5) The interior (or at least the dash) resembles the 1996 and up interior based on the gauges, HVAC controls, and cupholder area.

Based on the above, it would seem that this is a 1997 or 1998 model, non-turbo diesel, wagon with older style two-piece wheels.

I received this kit for Christmas, and just sat down to compare it to year-by-year changes that I found. Here's my results:

1) Engine appears to represent the GM 6.5 non-turbo diesel (no parts appear to represent a turbo). This engine was available from 1994 until 1998, though the 10 blade fan indicates 1996-1998.

2) Transmission appears to mostly resemble the 4l80E based on slanted pan and round indent, though the cut-out does slightly resemble the TH400.

3) The body itself is fairly standard across the years, but the ambulance doors indicate 1995 and up, while the vents aft of the rear-side windows were on 1997 or newer models.

4) The wheels are meant to resemble the two-piece runflat wheels with central tire inflation, which were offered on 1995 and older models, newer models had one-piece steel wheels (and later aluminum).

5) The interior (or at least the dash) resembles the 1996 and up interior based on the gauges, HVAC controls, and cupholder area.

Based on the above, it would seem that this is a 1997 or 1998 model, non-turbo diesel, wagon with older style two-piece wheels.

Considering the fact there's a Hummer Dealership logo from Louisville, KY molded onto the rear door, this thing has to - at least in part - represent a specific 1:1.