Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/6 scale Supernatural 1967 Impala 3d print project, need advice/help

67impalabuild

This website features a lengthy thread on building a 1/6 scale 1977 Cadillac as used in the Breaking Bad television series.  It might give some insight into the requirements of such a large replica, even though the method of construction is very different from what you are doing.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/775611-custom-scratchbuilt-metal-1-6-1977-cadillac-sedan-de-ville-now-finished.html

GreenLight already makes a 1/18 scale assembled replica of the Impala Sport Sedan with figures included.   That size is nowhere near as impressive as 1/6, but it it significantly less expensive.  If you are looking for compatibility with 12 inch action figures, you are starting on a momentous journey.  I wish you much success.

One thing that might helpbyou would be to find a makerspace or hackerspace which are placesvthat you can go and have access to a variety of tools for projects. Many have 3d printers. Also they have classes so you can learn how to use the equiptment. This would allow you to get up to speed and get an idea of what software and 3d printer to get.

This website features a lengthy thread on building a 1/6 scale 1977 Cadillac as used in the Breaking Bad television series.  It might give some insight into the requirements of such a large replica, even though the method of construction is very different from what you are doing.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/775611-custom-scratchbuilt-metal-1-6-1977-cadillac-sedan-de-ville-now-finished.html

GreenLight already makes a 1/18 scale assembled replica of the Impala Sport Sedan with figures included.   That size is nowhere near as impressive as 1/6, but it it significantly less expensive.  If you are looking for compatibility with 12 inch action figures, you are starting on a momentous journey.  I wish you much success.

Thanks, I have a feeling this will be a good learning experience but there are many financial obstacles to over come unfortunately but I'm not just going give up on it. It will happen, It will most likely be a resin kit when I'm done.

Edited by 67impalabuild

I am bit worried about copyrights with the 67 impala. If I am to produce a kit for sale maybe small run about (say 17 kits a year give or take) would I need some kind of permission from Chevrolet? I wouldn't be making copies of a kit. I have no idea how this works, I can't seem to find a specific answer about this on google.

Let know what you guys think.

I am bit worried about copyrights with the 67 impala. If I am to produce a kit for sale maybe small run about (say 17 kits a year give or take) would I need some kind of permission from Chevrolet? I wouldn't be making copies of a kit. I have no idea how this works, I can't seem to find a specific answer about this on google.

Let know what you guys think.

This is one place where "what you guys think" isn't going to cut it.

Copyright law and brand licensing are very specific, and you need to KNOW the law, not somebody's opinion.

I've actually done patent and copyright work in the real world, and I won't tell you what to do, because without thoroughly researching your exact position, anything I could tell you would be nothing but BS.

And that's just the point...YOU need to contact GM or Chevrolet's product licensing office to see EXACTLY what you need to do to avoid running afoul of the lawyers. 

If you're intending to use the name of the TV show as part of your product tie-in, you'll have to get permission there too.

Go to the source. Don't ask for opinions from people who have probably never done it.

Here's a general overview of the whole licensing game. (PS. You can also just choose to avoid the issue entirely. Chances are if you're only selling a few units a year, you'll slip under everybody's radar anyway.)

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/174014

This article addresses licensing things that look like copyrighted or "trade dress" car body designs.

http://r3pp.com/license.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Copyright law and brand licensing are very specific, and you need to KNOW the law, not somebody's opinion.

I've actually done patent and copyright work in the real world, and I won't tell you what to do, because without thoroughly researching your exact position, anything I could tell you would be nothing but BS.

And that's just the point...YOU need to contact GM or Chevrolet's product licensing office to see EXACTLY what you need to do to avoid running afoul of the lawyers. 

If you're intending to use the name of the TV show as part of your product tie-in, you'll have to get permission there too.

Go to the source. Don't ask for opinions from people who have probably never done it.

Here's a general overview of the whole licensing game. (PS. You can also just choose to avoid the issue entirely. Chances are if you're only selling a few units a year, you'll slip under everybody's radar anyway.)

This article addresses licensing things that look like copyrighted or "trade dress" car body designs.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping I could slip under the radar to start off with (just a few units a year) at first and I wouldn't use the name "Supernatural" of course.

Bill is right on the mark with this.  Prior to getting back into modeling, I was very active in Diecast Replicas from a collector, manufacture and Media standpoint.  Many of trhe diecast companies stopped putting brand name tires and used generic tread patterns on replicas to avoid paying royalties to Good Year and Firestone.  Some manufactures may not even care until a certain amount is available for sale.

Like Bill said...YOU need to check into it for yourself.

It's 75 % give or take done making it printer ready, making this 3ds file model ready is a very annoying pain. I've learned a lot about 3ds max along the way, mostly that it's horrible and boolean (cut an object with an object) doesn't work 90% of the time. I'm just going to have to import everything to another program at some point. lots to be done still.

I'm getting there.

• 2 months later...

Hey every one, just an update I've been working like crazy to get the Impala 3d printable with a ton still left to do. Here is a small update of a few things I've finished that were a huge pain in the %$#. I've gotten considerably better with 3ds max over the past few months and spent way to much time getting this model ready. I hope it all pays off. Like I've said earlier "it's no where near as easy as pressing a button to make a paper thin incomplete 3ds model into a 3d printable and easily mold-able version". I still have a few months of work ahead until it's even near finished. It's hard to say if it will ever be finished since I keep finding new things to fix and make better! lol, it's never ending! ;)

remade grill, windshield trim, bumpers, tires, rims, exhaust, engine, brand new model ready simplified steering mechanism, etc to infinity. Everything needed to be fixed 1000x and some remade at least half remade, all while learning 3ds max at the same time. Very frustrating but worth it I hope.

pic impal.png

Untitledbf.png

pic impal2.png

pic impal6g.png

pic impal5.png

pic impal6gk.png

Untitledgfh.png

Modeling the ecto-1 to be 3d printable is next.

Edited by 67impalabuild

Anything worth doing is worth doing well, and doing things well is often difficult and frustrating...which is why so few achieve excellence in anything.

I really have to applaud the effort you're putting into this. Your renderings look very good so far, and at this point, I'm certain that if you stick with it, you'll get the final result you're after. Nice work.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Anything worth doing is worth doing well, and doing things well is often difficult and frustrating...which is why so few achieve excellence in anything.

I really have to applaud the effort you're putting into this. Your renderings look very good so far, and at this point, I'm certain that if you stick with it, you'll get the final result you're after. Nice work.

I needed to hear that badly, thanks Ace.

I have a questions about hinges, where do I find.. I don't even know what they are called, I guess a metal pin with a cap for pinning the hinges. The reason is that I will design it different If I can use smaller better materials I'm thinking of the steering mechanism and doors.

pic impal6g.png

pin.png

Edited by 67impalabuild

Here's a tip for you in case you don't know. If you are using a service, 3D printing gets more expensive the taller you go (Z axis). This is due to the time it ties up the machine and the support structure. To save money, split the body into sides, hood, roof, trunk, front, and rear and print them as flat as possible. If you're doing it on a home built machine, I don't think it matters much. 

SLA is more expensive but has bette detail. SLS has less detail but cheap. You need to seal the SLS body with superglue and do lots of sanding 

Hey Brad,

Why is 1/6th scale so important? Just asking. You could do some kit bashing and build one for cheap in 1/25th scale. Sure would be a lot easier. The '67 Impala kit already exists in that scale. Making it a notchback and a four door isn't hard to do

Mark

1/6th is common in studio scale cars. Not sure why, but I think it had to do with the dolls available at the time. They were used as figures for miniature shots

Edited by robertburns

• 3 years later...

Hi man! I’m so very impressed with how much work you’ve put into this. I’m 2 years late - but I’m curious to know how you’ve progressed? 

Personally, I would LOVE a 1/6 scale impala for my 1/6 scale figure of Sam Winchester! I was looking for a 3D model myself to attempt to print ... understanding that costing would be insane? 

Happy for you to email me at - themonkeyking7@hotmail.com if you’d like to chat about it or need a cheerleader for this awesome project! :)

• 4 months later...