Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/6 scale Supernatural 1967 Impala 3d print project, need advice/help

67impalabuild

Hello, my name is Brad I live up in Canada (Ontario).

I'm new the the board. I could use some advice and help with this huge project no pun intended. The idea is to create a 1/6 scale replica of the 1967 4 door Impala featured in "Supernatural" using 3d printed parts that I can hopefully get made into some sort of mold to create more for much less than the original cost of the 3d printed parts. I like the show a bit but I'm more about the car, I love that car.

I've recently bought a 3ds max model of the 1967 impala to get started. It cost me around $100, kinda expensive I know but it was the most accurate one I could find and it was much cheaper than 3d scanning parts for an existing model like the greenlight impala. 3d printing something like this in poly-jet or sla will be expensive, probably $2000 at the cheapest so I need to really figure this all out before getting a huge print made up. I'd like to get a mold made of some of these parts like the body to make more so that It will be much less expensive to do a second or third. I'm not sure which direction to take with designing it, I could simplify parts like hinges and steering mechanism and leave out a lot of details like suspension to make this a bit easier or go all out for accuracy. Everything from how to make this simpler in design for functionality (for example: wheels turn, wheels move, doors hood & trunk open & close, how will everything attach) to what materials to make it out of are what I am confused and very overwhelmed by.

I don't know yet. I've been thinking about this ocd a bit and am having a hard time just wanting to give up on the idea even though it will be difficult and Is going to be a some what large learning curve for me as I have never done anything like this before. I'm not really a modeler, I haven't built anything before and to be honest right now I'm only interested in this project as far as model building goes (I'm a bit ocd about it). I first wanted to try the ecto-1 from Ghostbusters in 1/6 scale but after not being able to find a good enough 3d model of it I settled on the Impala, besides the ecto-1 would be too far out of my price range right now. the impala seems simple enough. I'm good enough with 3d design but have never created anything to be 3d printed for functional moving parts before. The 3d model I have bought has everything in high detail, engine and all luckily.

If I was to get this 3d printed does any one here know of a company that could make molds of it? I'm not even sure what material of mold style would be best for this. I don't even know what material to get it made out of even if I get a mold made. ABS? some kind of resin? what kind of resin? I'm a noob for sure with all of this and figured this was the best place to start for help. There is so much to learn it's overwhelming me. I'm in no real rush to do this so I am looking to take this slow until everything is ready to print.

Sorry if this sounds like one long run on sentence.

I guess I should write a list of things to get figured out so I'm not going in circles about it all in my head.

Let know know what you guys think about this project.

I bough the model from a guy on cg trader--> https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/car/antique/chevrolet-impala-ss-1967

Untitled.thumb.png.9dd2db23ffa4648e4872c

large_chevrolet_impala_ss_1967_3d_model_

large_chevrolet_impala_ss_1967_3d_model_

Edited by 67impalabuild

If you go through with this and want to have molds made, choose someone who does this sort of thing for a living. Someone whose work you can see beforehand. I was involved with getting several people to purchase the masters for a 1/8 scale Barracuda. It got passed around to several guys who couldn't make anything happen and now has apparently vanished. You may get a case of sticker shock, but that would be nothing compared to your expensive masters disappearing.

The model will be expensive. No way around that...unless you are fabulously wealthy and plan to lose money on this idea. I have to say, I think a 2 door would be a better seller. I know that's not what's on the show, But coupes just sell better. They also get customized and restored more.

I have never seen Supernatural. I don't know the first thing about it. I also have no idea what you would charge for the model, but I will say that I would spend $500 on a 1/6 scale 2 door. Maybe more.

I hear yeah man, It's just that the 4 door impala in black has become very iconic with fans of the show. I also plan to have lights in the impala. I'm unfortunately not wealthy but am willing to spend whats needed to do this project so long as it's not over $4000. I'm going to start putting money aside for it. I wish I had thought of this project years ago when I had a few grand to play with. I'm essentially planning to build a product when I really look at what I'm planning, It's a big undertaking on a lot of levels especially because I am not wealthy, I want and am forced to take this slow and would be doing very small batches for awhile if I can even get this off the ground.

Edited by 67impalabuild

Hi Brad, welcome aboard! I am very intrigued with your idea for this project, but, just for a comparison, according to the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975, there were 575,600 actual Chevy Impalas built in 1967! They are definitely not rare cars, it wouldn't take much effort to buy a 1/1 car for right around the $4000 you are talking about! But if you go through with this project I would like to see how it turns out.

Yes, too big! I don't know of anyone who has a printer big enough to do a 1' x 2' x 3' print... You would have to break the model out into separate body panels to do it. The chassis would also have to be broken into smaller parts.

Like the others have said, 1/8th would be better. I would go 1/12th though as you have a lot of existing models to source parts from. The engine and trans could be used from any number of kits.

The cost is going to skyrocket quickly. Creating molds is not going to be cheap or easy. Big parts require lots of rubber and resin...

Mark

Edited by astroracer

When I look for a file to use all or part for a 3d printing project,I check to see if the whole is a sum of it's parts. This is how our models are made. Here's an example using a 1937 Buick blender file. The whole:

1937_Buick_Straight8.thumb.png.8f328f1fa

The parts:

1937_Buick_Straight8_apart.thumb.png.684

This enables me to assemble the parts into what I need to print and make a model. Usually the designer will specify whether or not the file was created this way. If you are going to make a model of it to sell, you need to create parts to assemble. Otherwise, It's not a model. The more parts, the higher the cost to produce. If you make it in a scale that there are already some parts for, you eliminate costs. Then there is the demand for you model. The larger it is and the fewer available parts, the lower the demand.

When first thought of it I had envisioned something like the Hot Toys 1/6 BTTF Delorean. You know, pre-assembled, really clean and huge with opening doors, hood & trunk with lights & some what durable, maybe even have it chrome electroplated for strength and for the chrome parts then just paint the rest on top of the electroplating. Turntable tires as well as tires that move so you could push it around a bit if you wanted. That's the kind of model I was thinking of making

This but the Supernatural Impala.back-to-the-future-delorean-sixth-scale-

cfbdf2f98b791c2411e41fa41ff522e1.thumb.j

Edited by 67impalabuild

Hey Brad,

Why is 1/6th scale so important? Just asking. You could do some kit bashing and build one for cheap in 1/25th scale. Sure would be a lot easier. The '67 Impala kit already exists in that scale. Making it a notchback and a four door isn't hard to do.

Check these out.

http://www.spencer1984.com/my_models/supernatural-1.php

Mark

I dunno 1/6 is cool and huge, I just think it would be awesome to make one huge. It would cost too much at 1/6, it would be worth it if you had start up cash to start a product like that but I'm not in that position unfortunately. 1/8 would be a bit better but same situation with start up money.  1:18 would be cool but ultimately I feel it would only be worth it as diecast at that scale (again way too expensive). I have the 3d files and nothing but time so maybe I'll just design it anyway at least that way it's done if I ever feel like wasting money on a project like this in the future.

I'm bitter about it, it's too bad it would most likely be cheaper to buy an impala almost. Doing this project with little to no help is partly why I feel like giving up on it. I'm ok with fusion 360 but 3ds max not so much. Lots of stuff to figure out on my own. I'm feeling dumb and overwhelmed.

Obviously the key to this would be to get everything printed properly as low cost as possible then to get everything made into molds for resin casting for a relatively low price. I know I basically can't afford this but I can't stop trying to figure out how to do this, I'm a bit ocd addicted to figuring this out.

Here is a list of things that need done (at least for me).

• -Take the 3d design and redesign everything into the appropriate parts for 3d printing.
  • -Find a company/service that can make molds and or cast the molds into some kind of resin.
  • -Figure out what parts may need to be only 3d printed (tires maybe)
  • -Find a service for chrome plating or electroplating the plastic (body, engine, rims, etc) for a good price.
  • -What kind of glue or other bonding agent to use for all parts
  • -Find paint service that can properly and professionally paint the models at a good price.

This list is definitely incomplete but it's what I have figured out thus far.

Nothing about any of this is cheap, :( It's essentially starting a business.

I wish I was patient wealthy and handy, a lot of you guys are crazy handy and patient with this stuff, I've been browsing your work in awe, I suck this this stuff.

I think I'd go with 1/8 scale IF I was to go full on ahead with this. Anyone interested in getting in on this project in any way? I got a great file to start with here.

I believe I found a 3d printing service that can do the windows and windshield--> http://blog.luxexcel.com/transparent-3d-printing/transparent-3d-print/

Here is an example of how much something like this may cost on the pricey side.

Link---> http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/modeling_subjects/f/30/t/114830.aspx

Edited by 67impalabuild

Well, this is a HUGE project... Both in size AND the skill required to reach the level of detail shown in that Delorean. Part of the problem is, you have no model or scratch building experience to help you. I would really suggest picking up a couple of regular kits and building them to get some experience. At this point you need to understand what it will take to build your grail. Starting small and working your way up is the best way to get there.

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Hey Brad,

Why is 1/6th scale so important? Just asking. You could do some kit bashing and build one for cheap in 1/25th scale. Sure would be a lot easier. The '67 Impala kit already exists in that scale. Making it a notchback and a four door isn't hard to do.

Check these out.

http://www.spencer1984.com/my_models/supernatural-1.php

Mark

Spencer's impala is awesome, I seen that a few months back. I might do that for fun this winter. Good idea

Well, this is a HUGE project... Both in size AND the skill required to reach the level of detail shown in that Delorean. Part of the problem is, you have no model or scratch building experience to help you. I would really suggest picking up a couple of regular kits and building them to get some experience. At this point you need to understand what it will take to build your grail. Starting small and working your way up is the best way to get there.

Mark

Agreed, I've been thinking about that all day.

Whoa, this is WAY ambitious.

My suggestions, if you intend to do this yourself:

-buy a 1/25 version, and build it. Look at photos of the real car, and observe how the model has been simplified and re-engineered so that A. the parts can be successfully molded and B.the parts can be assembled in sequence without the builder getting stuck.

-learn to use 3D modeling software enough that you can make your own parts; then you will have the beginnings of the skills needed to modify the 3D model you have purchased. The Impala you bought looks like a good model! But it's very complicated and will no doubt have to be significantly tweaked for printing. For instance, if some of the surfaces need to be smoothed further or closed ("made watertight") because they might be modeled as hollow shells, which cannot be printed (lots of video game cars are "shell" style models rather than solid objects).

-3D model something simple and set it up for 3D printing. I used NetFabb to process my files from 3Ds Max into a format that could be printed, also to calculate volume (and therefore final pricing for the print).

-Observe the detail levels of the various materials available from 3D printing services (ie detail plastic vs rougher and cheaper solutions). Get your model printed by them, and examine the results.

-Now you'll know how much work, time, and money the "loop" of development will take. You can probably iterate faster if you have your own 3D printer rather than sending away for prints/having them shipped to you.

-Make molds of the part to learn about resin casting and how to build good molds for the best results...this is important because it will inform how you modify the original 3D model for both good printing AND good molding of the 3D printed parts.

I'm sorta dipping my toes into the process right now with some tires, and that's about all my pocketbook and skills can tolerate right now!

I had a similar idea, though not nearly as ambitious!

Don't give up on it, rather shift gear and start with building models, casting smaller parts etc. as suggested.

I will be getting a 3d printer (have wanted one for years but never had a use for it). You could probably get one too, a pretty good one for under 4000.

Settle in for the long haul, I am sure it will pay off.

Cool, I'm not giving up I'm just getting started.

I think I've found the perfect company to do the mold and castings, now to get all the parts prepared for printing, this is going to take awhile.

check'em out--> http://www.gforcemodels.com/main.html

They have done a lot of work for hot toys, which some what worries me as they might steal my idea! lol. hope not.

They say affordable prices but I wont really be able to get a quote til the files are ready unfortunately.