Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2016/2017 Lowrider Tour

wgflatliner

Ladies and Gents, This will be the official Lowrider Tour that will cover lowriders.  The CBP will go from 10/1/16 to 10/1/17.  It will be long enough for all those who wish to participate, and long enough for those who love to take their time on models!

rules:

1)  must be a lowrider, for obvious reasons.  This means, it must have lowrider wheels (spokes).
2)  you can build it out of the box or you can go all out custom.
3)  the build must be a brand new build or barely started, please post pictures
4)  the build will start on 10/1/16 and last through 10/1/17
5)  have fun!

we can have public voting or a photo album for all of the cars in the CBP once it's over, and i would even go as far as getting a trophy or something made for the winner.

Edited by wgflatliner

This means, it must have lowrider wheels (spokes).

Plenty of lowriders do not have spokes. Is this not a lowrider? My point is, if you wish to have a successful CBP, you must give the builders as much creative freedom as possible. The second you set a rule that limits their options, you lose peoples interest. And trust me, limiting wheels/tires is a BIG limitation to any car guy. I'd be interested if that rule was omitted. I don't do what everyone else has done, it's not my style. 

Image result for lowrider

Rob.... that is one Bad Ass ride.  Now this is just my personal opinion but I would consider that as a Custom or mild custom. I grew up in Central California where the Lowrider scene was huge. My take on what consists of a lowrider is that it is on hydraulic's and typically with some sort of wild looking candy and pearl paint jobs.  As well as most are on some sort of wire wheels, mostly 13" wheels.. As I said this is my own personal opinion. For giggles I looked up on Wikipedia to see what it defined a lowrider and custom as.... here is what  it said.....

lowrider (sometimes low rider) is a class or style of customized vehicle. Not to be confused with a regular lowered vehicle; these uniquely customized vehicles are generally individually painted with intricate colorful designs, ridden on 13" wire spoke wheels with white wall tires, and fitted with hydraulic systems that allow the vehicle to be raised or lowered at the owners command. Lowrider can also refer to the driver of the car. A lowrider is always a lowered car, but a lowered car is not always a lowrider. This is a class of vehicle, not a description of the height from ground to chassis.

custom car is a passenger vehicle that has been substantially modified in either of the following two ways

1. a custom car may be altered to improve its performance, often by altering or replacing theengine and transmission
  2. a custom car may be a personal "styling" statement, making the car look unlike any car as delivered from the factory.

Although the two are related, custom cars are distinct from hot rods. The extent of this difference has been the subject of debate among customizers and rodders for decades. Additionally, a street rod can be considered a custom.

I agree with Chris, that's no lowrider its a custom ! Saying that an early lowrider can have tru-spokes, even crager 5 spokes, and many bombs use original wheels and hub caps, or spinner hub caps !  

Hydraulics are a main ingredient, not air bags ! And chrome, the more the merrier !

Personally I think small spoked wheels and thin walled tyres scream lowrider, so I think its fine to say this CBP should have these wheels only ! Just my opinion, I'm not arranging this but either way let's get building, and have some fun ! ! 

I looked up on Wikipedia to see what it defined a lowrider and custom as.... here is what  it said.....

...because Wikipedia is always correct..... lol

I'll revisit the idea of joining in on this CBP later.  None of my hobby vendors within 45 miles sell kits with spoke wheels or aftermarket items.  Sellers on eBay want WAY too much for S&H to Canada.

Looks like I'm out.  Can't wait to see what the rest of you build.

Steve... In all honesty I didn't know what Wikipedia would say thats why I said looked it up for giggle. I know my definition of what a lowrider is. How much were they wanting for shipping?? I could see how much it would cost me to ship a set of rims to you if you'd like??

I have to agree on that sweet Olds. Low, but not what I see as a "Lowrider". 

That said, a lowrider doesn't necessarily have to have wire wheels or hydraulics. ,,, or even crazy paint for that matter. 

The most famous lowrider of all,, the "Gypsy Rose" [both versions] originally rode on 5 spoke wheels. Either Cragar SS or Astro Supremes and as Martin says, lots of older ones use original or custom wheel covers. 

IIRC, Gypsy Rose didn't even have hydraulics installed until sometime in the '80s. 

I also see a lot of lows in single colors or factory style 2 tones instead of the wild multi-color paintjobs that are the expected style.

Seems that extreme lowness and white walls is a must though.

I may not be able to explain it very well but I know one when I build it. :D

So, I guess I'm in, I have a few more big Chevys to do.

IMG 1159

IMG 1335

119 1906

IMG 1930 

Edited by Can-Con

Looks good Luke, any ideas on colour yet ??

Also can I ask about your wheels, are those scale 13" ?  I know the ones in Revells lowrider kits are around 15" and a tad too big, just wondered how these compare ?? Also what's the backs like, do u fit them straight on or do you have to cut em down a bit to fit the rear axle width ?  Its just I've never got around to buying any yet, I'd like to order maybe 4 or 5 sets to last me for a while ! !  

Thanks mate, I've started my 64 have to get pics up soon....hope we get a few more people joining in too ! 

Cheers Martin

any ideas on colour yet ??

Also can I ask about your wheels, are those scale 13" ?  I know the ones in Revells lowrider kits are around 15" and a tad too big, just wondered how these compare ?? Also what's the backs like, do u fit them straight on or do you have to cut em down a bit to fit the rear axle width ?  Its just I've never got around to buying any yet, I'd like to order maybe 4 or 5 sets to last me for a while ! !  

Thanks mate, I've started my 64 have to get pics up soon....hope we get a few more people joining in too ! 

Black of course :lol:

Nah, the Pegasus DZ wheels probly scale out around 15" and they are not far off being exact same size a Revells single piece wire wheels, although Revell has 2 piece wires that would be closer to 13" but they a bit average looking I think. Jevries also use to make 13's.

Personally I much prefer the Pegasus wheels. Not to scale but I reckon they look great on just about any car. 

Backs arent anything special, most times all that is needed is just drill and cut the stub and possibly sometimes kit parts will need mods to get them fitted.   

And where to start ? Well cut things up of course !  I removed the front fenders from the floor and then cut out all the lumps from the firewall. Quick template and spare plastic sheet and you have a smoothed firewall !  I then glued this in place and im currently blending it all in .... Might add a flip front soon ??

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I would like to do. Now I am not going to make any promises that it will get done in time due to a few other projects that I need to get done before this one, but I will try and sneak working on this hear and there when I have time. Been wanting to build this for quite some time and though it would be fun to join this community build.

My plan is to do a 64 Impala that will be sitting in the weeds. Here is a Mock up of how I would like it to sit:

Martin... It will be fun to see the 64's come together. I haven't figured out yet if I want to do an all chrome chassis or if I am going to chrome all the suspension parts and rear end, then paint the chassis frame with  some very small graphics on it. I have downloaded a quite a few lowrider pics for reference. Also trying to figure out how I am going to do my set up in the trunk...lol Should be fun to build. I just gotta get the funny car finished first ;)...lol