Model Cars Magazine Forum

One of Lindbergs Better kits (Impala) foiled

JollySipper

61_start_001.thumb.JPG.6c1e7de59938d6266

61_start_002.thumb.JPG.c0bc017d1fc476eef

61_start_003.thumb.JPG.a18b8f3135a523f0f

Thought I would show my latest projects progress....... Going for a mildly customized lowrider. I want to do an all out show lowrider in the future, so this kit is preparing me for that......

The idea is a pearl white interior in a black and gray body with the spoke wheels pictured.

Thanks for looking, feedback welcomed...!

Edited by JollySipper

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much of an update for you guys, but I wanted to show how my experiment with DupliColor Universal Chrome came out........

chrome_test_001.thumb.JPG.92bd78310d8168

It's not quite as reflective a finish that some get with Alclad or Spaz Stix, but it will work for the suspension parts on this build....

chrome_test_002.thumb.JPG.ab889f71423e69

And I got the belly pan painted and exhaust ran..... Thanks for looking in and feel free to comment......

I noticed it was very white and I like it. Most pearls has a slight yellow to it... 

The pearl I used will get an almond tint to it if you put more than two or three coats on.....

Ive got two of these in my stash,  a hdtp and a conv,  glad to hear they are liked, Ive had them for years, never got around to them

It's an excellent kit, this will be the second one I've built......

I've heard that the body was not right, however I haven't opened my kit up as yet and have no idea what's wrong with the body. Is there any truth to this, or no?

When Lindberg first released this kit, the cowl area was incorrect, Luckily this one is one of the corrected versions, it has a date of '96 on the box..... The incorrect one has a date of '91 I think.....

There were two releases in '91, one with the messed up cowl and the corrected one, the corrected one has a sticker on the box to tell you that it's been corrected and is a new body mold. Subsequent issues didn't need the sticker because they had a different copyright year on the box.

Edited by horsepower

Thank You for the nice comments, Guys! and for the correct info on this kit.......

Nice start on this, should look great when complete !  If you want to start your show car lowrider have you seen the CBP Lowrider build off ??  Chrome also looks great, is that airbrushed ??

I did see the CBP! Unfortunately, I had too much progress on this to enter it, maybe the next build....... The chrome is from an aerosol can over a black base..... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A small update..... I've pretty much finished everything, and I've been working on the body the past couple days. Here it is in a base of DupliColor light slate....

imp_masked_001.thumb.JPG.432280f59eaac64

I've masked off what will stay silver/gray, If it's nice tomorrow I can spray the black. I don't have any foil to mask with like I would have liked to, so here's hoping Tamiya's tape will do the job..........

imp_masked_002.thumb.JPG.d5fab0656b51310

imp_masked_003.thumb.JPG.a164d8f66a44f50

As always, thanks for following along, and comment if you'd like.............!

imp_paint_job_001.thumb.JPG.7dd3e092461a

imp_paint_job_002.thumb.JPG.627746aeff24

imp_paint_job_003.thumb.JPG.058e90035e1d

So, here's how the black turned out.......! There's a little dust in it, so the day I clear it, I'll color sand it a bit..... Before I sprayed the black, I sprayed a thin coat of the silver over the tape to seal it............

Thanks for checking it out, comment freely...............  :)