Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Chevy Drag Car - Complete!

Tyler62990

A Facebook group I'm a part of is having a Breast Cancer Awareness (pink car) build off that I decided to participate in. With the deadline approaching quickly, I decided on a car that would be a pretty fast, but decent looking build. I chose the Monogram 56 Chevy for its low parts count and usual ease of assembly that comes with most Monogram kits. At first, it was meant to be a stock pastel pink and white cruiser, stock or very, very mild custom. For whatever reason, probably the nice AMT Racemaster slicks that showed up on my bench, I quickly changed direction and decided to build a drag car. Well, that's the story behind the car, so here's the car itself with a list of modifications.

Engine Bay - MAD distributor, VCG Resins MSD Ignition box, scratchbuilt MSD coil, VCG Resins Holley 750 carbs, vinyl tubing radiator hose, valve cover breather, scratchbuilt t fitting with fuel lines, throttle linkage, valve cover t-bolts, VCG Resins brake cylinder/booster.

Interior - 2 point to 4 point roll bar conversion with padding, scratchbuilt racing harness, steering wheel from Revell 32 5 Window, scratchbuilt tach.

Exterior - Hood scoop from Monogram 55 Chevy Street Machine, VCG Resins chutes, front wheels from Monogram 39 Chevy, rear wheels from AMT Lil Vicky, AMT Racemaster slicks

Paint - Tamiya white primer, Testors Electric Pink lacquer, Testors Wet Look Clear, decals from Slixx and various kits.

Well, that about does it. Thanks for looking!

Super job!  Reminds me of some of the old Hank Borger models he built for his Car Model articles.  Low parts count or not, your '56 just has that look that a period correct Ex-Gasser has to have to be credible.  With a little tweeking here or there this could have easily been a Stock Class car as well.  Every thing about your model is plausible, there aren't any parts or doo dads that don't belong, that's what separates a decent subject related model from a really good one in my book.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Hopefully I can get another drag car on the bench soon. I forgot how fun these can be. I'm working on an old diecast 56 Tbird for my stepfather and the Munsters House from Moebius for my boss right now, so it may be a while. All I can say is, I'd much rather be building the Sox & Martin GTX that's been staring at me. My shelf needs more Mopar lol