Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Chevy Caprice 4-door Hardtop Sport Sedan conversion

Cosmo_Song

I just finished a conversion project that started from a MPC `76 Chevy Caprice 2-door. For some reason the body part was not molded well when I received the model and I think it`s beyond repairable. So I decieded to chop the damaged A-pillar and fender section and replace it with epoxy-bounded Foil material and gave it a damaged appearance. 

I always have a fetish for the big, full-size american 4 door sedan in the 60`s and 70`s. So I converted the MPC 2-door coupe version to a 4-door sedan. I cut the B-pillar and fill the quarter window because I prefer a more traditional and thicker C-pillar which is different from the actual `76 Caprice sedan, but personally I prefer the look. I also rescribed the door panel lines and trunk. I used sterene sheet to reform the roof section and I sanded off the side trim to give the Caprice a more "base model" appearance.

IMG_3001.thumb.JPG.5511b3b7bd6e89e3611a8IMG_3003.thumb.JPG.cdaf6e989ca4e66731fb0IMG_3006.thumb.JPG.17aff2c56ecd856b6aefcIMG_3007.thumb.JPG.a5b6d6526b585b05afc5fIMG_3013.thumb.JPG.1d4ba2da9651aab7bd219IMG_3015.thumb.JPG.f42effdb96e8a14102055IMG_3017.thumb.JPG.fec56c953c5ade96e187bIMG_3022.thumb.JPG.70fb043bcab34256893bbIMG_3028.thumb.JPG.250520043e9dba9664dbcIMG_3044.thumb.JPG.fad23c942269767dc2a7d

Thanks for viewing!

The progress page:

Now that is modeling in pure form and excellently executed!! I used to have that same car the doors were falling off and you could hear me coming from a mile away. radio didnt work and neither did the heater, and in Wisconsin it gets cold, but it ran like a champ. Cop pulled me over and asked me if I had one working light on the car, I banged on the side fender and all the lights would come on, gave me a warning and said I have 15 days to fix it. I junked it.  Your Sir are a prodigy with model cars, hope to see more of your fantastic work.

Best regards, Steve

Very impressive, Cosmo - looks like it could be on the set of CHIPs, about to do a rollover from a hidden ramp while disco music blares! :D

I like your license plates too; with correct fonts and registration stickers. How are you making them?

Thank you very much. I found the correct fonts and sticker images online, and then I used Adobe illustrator for the graphic design and print it out with tin can glued to the back. 

QQ截图20160926112718.png

QQ截图20160926112730.png

Now that is modeling in pure form and excellently executed!! I used to have that same car the doors were falling off and you could hear me coming from a mile away. radio didnt work and neither did the heater, and in Wisconsin it gets cold, but it ran like a champ. Cop pulled me over and asked me if I had one working light on the car, I banged on the side fender and all the lights would come on, gave me a warning and said I have 15 days to fix it. I junked it.  Your Sir are a prodigy with model cars, hope to see more of your fantastic work.

Best regards, Steve

Thank you for sharing your experience, Steve. 

I like to build model cars based on my childhood memories, that`s why I`m more into cars in the 70`s. I grew up in China in 1980`s and we had a few American tv show and movies on screen, like <Hunter> and <Superman>. I remember there were a lot of the full-size cars in those media which were from the 1970s and were not in a good condition. But those images were always a big inspiration for me in that time era and I really think those last generation full-size cars during malaise era are really cool! Especially when they turn into curbside beaters and lose all the hubcaps and then I can feel the authenticity.