Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Thunderbird

landman

And so the story ends. It is pouring rain outside, so I took the photos in the engine shop receiving bay.B) As much as I love Squarebirds, I have a hard time getting excited about this one.

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

Your build looks fantastic, I don't understand why you can't get excited about it.

Your build looks fantastic, I don't understand why you can't get excited about it.

Thank you David. It still has the warp, one wheel off the ground. I'm going to have to redo the headlight decals. And, then again, looking back, it isn't so bad.

Thank you David. It still has the warp, one wheel off the ground. I'm going to have to redo the headlight decals. And, then again, looking back, it isn't so bad.

I have had the same problems in the past. On the "Dog hiking his leg" issue usually you can just adjust the rear suspension without dismantling the whole kit. I saw how you fought the headlights. In the past I have just painted the head light area with Flat Aluminum and a top coat of Future and it would look ok.

Good work on this one, Pat! Great detail painting and color combo!

For what it's worth, I think your issues with the build and the completed model have to do with the kit itself rather than your craftsmanship. This kit has a number of fit issues resulting from the separate top and windshield and opening doors which have not gotten better since it was released in the '60s, and, as detailed as it is, the finished model always has a humpbacked look that has never captured the essential character of the "Squarebird."