Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Junior And Craftsman Kits

regular guy

3 minutes ago, Junkman said:

I do hope so too, but am concerned that the scale limits sales by its very nature.
There is only one serius 1/32 collector/builder I know and I think these kits were predominantly hoovered up by the slot car folks in the olden times.
The big question is whether they can still entice those slotters, if only for nostalgic reasons.

I really like 1/32nd scale cars. Airfix, Pyro, All Stars/Scale Stars...

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I love these kits, I wonder if any of these molds still exist. I bet any of them would be good sellers.

As mentioned on pages one and two of this topic, the AMT '64 Comet Caliente not only exists, but was reissued by Model King within the last decade or so. With the AMT '59 Chrysler Imperial coming in 2019, it wouldn't be crazy to expect the Comet to eventually be reissued by Round2. Factoring in the very recent '65 Comet kits released by Moebius, it makes even more sense.

AMT64Comet1.jpg.97ba3a51f5c42bfb0894c2f024ed19fe.jpgAMT64CometYellow.JPG.707d72e10b8f147d524a93e012fe62d7.JPGAMT64cometMK0.jpg.34453f301d681eac48fe24194af10590.jpgAMT64CometMK1.jpg.dd62c9f3b428ca17c6573c7ccd59c937.jpg

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Casey said:

As mentioned on pages one and two of this topic, the AMT '64 Comet Caliente not only exists, but was reissued by Model King within the last decade or so. With the AMT '59 Chrysler Imperial coming in 2019, it wouldn't be crazy to expect the Comet to eventually be reissued by Round2. Factoring in the very recent '65 Comet kits released by Moebius, it makes even more sense.

AMT64Comet1.jpg.97ba3a51f5c42bfb0894c2f024ed19fe.jpgAMT64CometYellow.JPG.707d72e10b8f147d524a93e012fe62d7.JPGAMT64cometMK0.jpg.34453f301d681eac48fe24194af10590.jpgAMT64CometMK1.jpg.dd62c9f3b428ca17c6573c7ccd59c937.jpg

Yeah, I've got the Model King Comet,(thanks Steve G,) and will definitely get the Imperial when it comes out, but what about the rest. Are any of the others a possibility?

Edited by RichCostello

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

Yeah, I've got the Model King Comet,(thanks Steve G,) and will definitely get the Imperial when it comes out, but what about the rest. Are any of the others a possibility?

The Nova wagon's now a drag car, and the Skylark is a dirt tracker and bringing either of them back would be nearly impossible. So, sadly, not those two. :(

On 11/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, RichCostello said:

Are any of the others a possibility?

I think the previous four pages pretty well covered what some members know or think still exists, and what was modified too drastically to hold out any hope for the original Craftsman kit to return. Some who know for sure aren't at liberty to share that information publicly, so we'll just have to wait until Round2 is ready to make an announcement.

Edited by Casey

I saw a mention that the '59 Buick tooling was destroyed. I wonder which tooling that would be? There were 3-in-1 kits of the convertible and hardtop issued in 1959,  hardtop Junior/Trophy/Craftsman kit issued in 1963, and hardtop "Boondock Bomber" kit issued in 1969. If all these kits were based on the same tooling, and it has been destroyed, then there will be no re-issue. What a shame!  The '59 Buick IMHO is one of GM's best looking vehicles, ever. I don't think the '59 tooling was modified to issue the '60 Buick, as those were issued in 1960, and two issues of the '59 came after that.

Maybe time for a new tool from one of the "other" guys?

• 2 years later...

Some AMT 1960 Chevy Wagon Jr. Trophy Series goodness for the new year here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1528/1960-chevy-wagon-trophy-series

T1960ChevyWagonJrTrophySeries4-vi.jpg

I am enthused at the renewed possibility of many of these kits reappearing, albeit in homage/tribute form, much like the forthcoming AMT '63 Chevy II Nova Wagon kit. 2021 could be a very good year indeed. ☺️

On 11/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, RichCostello said:

Had this one as a kid(50+ years ago). Would love to have another, don't think it was ever used for anything else. (AMT 64 Valiant kit)

The 64 was updated to 1965 with both kit and promo. It was updated again to a 1966 Valiant Signet but only appeared as a promo.

The tool was then recycled into the Fireball 500.. no more Valiants!

Heresy from THE Valiant collector :)

F500 had chassis bits from 65-66 Cuda I thought, as it had Hemi. The 63-66 all were promos without motors. Hope springs eternal. It had crude firewall and rad crossmember, but ages since I’ve compared the 2. I buy the F500 for the Radirs and the trailer, but it’s kinda cool. Someone decades ago did a Robin car that was pretty neat. 
Probably recalling wrong, but wishful. 340 Duster SM under a nice Valiant or early Cuda would be nice. 

21 hours ago, keyser said:

340 Duster SM under a nice Valiant or early Cuda would be nice. 

71E3C0D5-B3D1-415B-88ED-C2F5AF79F9AC.jpeg.1c6c1d99b653e072b8de2628fd11652f.jpeg3A48A0B8-10EA-4120-9BEC-CE544989E120.jpeg.53bd6f9af92059150727468c3c423946.jpegE5774287-CB32-4EAE-AC7F-BA7752759758.jpeg.141cd8baa4821a871adfd1c1b32e5046.jpeg

Here’s a 64 Valiant I’ve been working on, with the Duster chassis under it. It will be a replica of a 64 Convertible I once owned. 

Duster chassis and engine bay do git well. Chassis needs to be shortened, look right ahead of the rear spring mount.

On 9/28/2016 at 1:38 AM, horsepower said:

That's one job I'd probably volunteer to do for just the cost of a free lunch, come to think about it a little bit more, I'd be willing to do it for free if I got to choose which kits were pulled for production first. 

On the Pinto kits, somewhere MPC either sacrificed a body mold or made a new one for the one they used in the Modified series, but there's two problems with thinking they sacrificed an existing tool, one is that the tooling for the Pinto sedan kits from MPC all had the deluxe body side trim and that's not on the Modified body, not even door lines or the edges of the trunk opening exists, so it points to a totally new body tooling. The other argument for all new tools for the bodies in that series is the '34 Slammer Coupe. To my knowledge MPC never released a chopped '34 Ford that they could have used the tooling for to produce that body. So maybe there's a little hope. But it is possible they did some surgery on the Pinto sedan tooling for production of the Pinto pro stock kits that were produced, but since they did do some kind of repairs to the '64 Galaxy kit to resurrect it from the Modified Stocker series to its reissue as a production stock vehicle (even though it was a promo style) kit.

I need to correct a couple of things I got wrong first the roof on the  '34 Slammer modified kit DOESN'T have a chopped top,. BUT it is a three window coupe and it's an excellent top but to my knowledge I don't remember any of the AMT derivative manufacturers producing a three window coupe. And that Pinto modified is most likely the AMT body since every version after the release of the '71 sedan kit were all Runabouts but MPC did releases of both sedan and Runabouts, their '74 was a beautiful deluxe edition of a sedan with all the extra chrome and body side molding. But the latest release of a Pinto is a half breed of the '77-'78 runabout with the four cylinder, but it has the extra custom body panels from the AMT Pintera Runabout kit I believe was a '76 (I have a couple of untouched ones but the room they are hidden in hasn't been opened in about eight or ten years so I have to rely on my addled Memory. But the one I'm most curious about is the one time only issue of a Mustang II bodied Modified. If I hadn't had one I would have doubted its existence too, if it weren't for the interior tin panels that are still in the issues but don't fit any of the current releases and the only one even close is the Pinto but it will still have an extra rear panel that will only fit a body with a large rear window. I painted mine candy red over a gold base (same as my Pinto) but it came with just the number 6 even if it does look like the same font used in the Pinto's number 76. But I have a big ol' box of extra Mustang II bodies including a couple of the Gabriel Coupe with the wide body options that will make an excellent Speedway Modified that NASCAR experimented with for a short time. It was their answer to the claims about the coupe and coach bodies getting hard to find and someone's idea that the newer bodies looked too much like the North Eastern dirt modifieds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...