Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Junior And Craftsman Kits

regular guy

7 hours ago, JS23U said:

I heard similar things, that's sad. There are other (non-Craftsman) kits that fall into the same category of unknown whereabouts (for me). Like 63 Ford pickup, 64 Pontiac Grand Prix. Did they kill these as well?

Yes. While they have been known to pull out some surprises here and there, most of what you havent seen in the 20 years is gone.

That long ago post at the Round2 Blog, that first showed the '64 Olds F-85, also showed other "Hanger Shots". Given the size of the pics, there is no way of knowing what those other kits (or fractions of kits) were. Round2 has (rightly) chosen not to share what (if anything) they found with all of those test shots. IIRC, it was stated at the time, that Round2 was simply running plastic through all the tooling in their possession at the time.  I am sure that Round2 has a Master List of the tooling, what it made, and what condition it was in. I also have no doubt that old AMT Hands (John Mueller, and others) were called in or volunteered to I.D. what was what. So, Round2 Knows (and probably pretty accurately) what they have. (and Don't have). That said, it would not be in Round2's best business interests to ever let the public know what kits they might be able to produce. So, just hints and glimpses are all we are going to get.

Now, Look at what has happened in the last few years. Round2 Totally retooled a new body & engine for the '63 Nova Kit, and possibly a trailer as well. They re-created the '63 Nova and trailer kit, and almost all of it is new tooling. Tim Boyd's comparison photos show how much of that kit is new., and before the Nova, we have the long running saga of the '64 Oldsmobile. From a single photo at the company blog, to a pair of complete kits several years later. This reflects how serious the management is at Round2. And, Now we have word of a newly re-created '66 Mustang tool, combining proven parts from existing kits and a newly tooled body. So, three substantial, well loved kits, coming back to life, at reasonable prices with fresh decals and new tires. Round2 is doing exactly what they have promised to do, albeit at a pace that reflects the realities of a capital intensive business. I suspect that Tom L. & John G. think they are working as fast as they can given that Round2 is small company with a limited budget, and a small, skilled pool of employees.

I would love to see the "Top Ten List" of projects that are being explored right now. We all would, I am guessing. But, Round2 has no obligation or need to share such a list, nor would it be in their best interest to do so.

Would we like a few more 'Craftsman' style kits to come back? Of course! Will there be any? Nobody really knows (and anybody who might know) sure isn't going to say much of anything in public.   

Edited by alexis

The Model King drag team set (the first reappearance of the MPC Cougar funny car) used the AMT Ford Bronco as the tow vehicle.  From what I had heard back then, the '63 Ford pickup would have been first choice, but was long gone.

We've got to remember, this stuff was moved around several times, sometimes stored in poor conditions, and on occasion junked because someone didn't think it had any future potential.  I'd bet nobody involved in the creation of any of it thought it would still be around fifty years down the road.