Model Cars Magazine Forum

Throwing Away Old Stuff..

10thumbs

I ask myself if I'm nuts or not....again.

This time, after clearing out the basement, all kinds of junk came upturned, and I actually threw lots of the stuff away.  What the heck do I need old screwdrivers that are bent and rusted?  Junk!

Just last week I got four (read 4) new eyeglasses.  The usual regular deal to see while driving, the same as sunglasses, then a PC set, then a more important prescription for model building.

I caught myself wanting to save the old lenses.  What BS!!   Chunk 'em, they're outdated!

How readily do you throw useless stuff away?

A LOT of people keep stuff they don't need or will never use anymore. I myself try to eliminate as much junk as I can as we live in a smaller house, however I'm sure that if I look again and more often that I could find even more stuff to get rid of. I need to get off my butt and get rid of some car parts as well.

I'm slowly learning to get rid of stuff.  A couple of years ago, I started selling off kits that I hadn't thought about since buying them.  Still have a long way to go, though.

With things like tools, if they are damaged, out they go!  With clothes, if they don't fit (or if I haven't worn them in a couple of years) they get donated (if they're in good shape, of course). 

Glasses can be donated also.  I don't know if anything can be done with the acrylic lenses if they are scratched, but the people asking for them don't specify one way or the other.  That reminds me...I really should get an appointment with the optometrist and get going on a new pair of glasses.  

I don't toss stuff nearly as much as I should as well! The eyeglass lenses got me thinking I do the same thing! Multiple old scripts filling a drawer! My rationale is that good money was spent and seems a waste to throw away! Even though they're unusable. Same with old computers and electronics, clothes, magazines....you get the picture. D.mn, I need to clean out my garage and basement!LOL!

Last spring our neighborhood had one of those development wide garage sales so we participated.  We put all our junk out in the driveway and swore it wasn't coming back inside.  We sold what we could and took less money later in the day.  In the end I loaded the van and took it all to Goodwill.  I went back to the store a few days later and saw my stuff on the shelves.  I was happy. It was out of my life, it was helping a charity and someone got to use the stuff.  I hate throwing good things out that just wind up in the landfill.

PC STUFF!   I tossed all kinds os stuff earlier this spring.  Instead of desktop pc's, the wife and I have notebooks finally, at my workplace too.  Enough still usable components to make 3 pc's was tossed.  The cabinet had all of a sudden lots of room.  So in went my modest stash of model kits, and other stuff that was in the way.  Strange though, the really still good Creative 5 in 1 Digital Sound deal I couldn't get rid off.  Had it for many years, yet it still rocks.

Hmm, can it be hooked up to a notebook?

It is tough, I am just glad reading this I am not the only one.  I will go through periods where I finally get sick of tripping over stuff and have a great purge.  I got rid of 3 old computers, a bunch of good but obsolete computer parts.  I just find myself thinking ... I might need this some day... but after tripping over something for 5 years and not using it, I finally realize maybe it is time to toss it.

I wish i could do the same with model kits. I have had ebay purges in the past but then always regretted it later.

Moving is a great opportunity to weed out the really unnecessary stuff.

The wife and I sold our apartment and downsized in preparation for the senior life a few years ago.  I was thinking sometimes while packing, there's 5 times more junk in the basement than upstairs to get rid of, and to make some room for the smaller place.  I'm happy about getting rid of things and the basement nowadays is still in an orderly manner.  I haven't missed a single thing!

Peter, I think you just stated the two hardest parts.  Future need and nostalgia. Well, three parts, "you can't take it to the grave....".

Upon the last move the wife and I went through, we both bit our lips often, and went through with the plan of really cleaning out the place (finally).

The basement was the biggest obstacle.  Books.  Wife's dad was a judge, and he read a lot.  Law books everywhere, travel and vacation themes, all the clubs he attended....read, rooms full of books, magazines and a just unbelievable collection of stuff.  Plus our junk.

The law books brought some cash, the rest was chunked.  It hurt, but the wife relayed she was good with it and soon it was no issue. 

I've come to the conclusion, excepting tools, if I don't use it in the last five years....don't really need it.  I'd probably buy it again anyway, being I forgot I even had it.

Chunk the excess baggage and make room for other stuff.

When my father passed away about 5 years ago I thought it would be nice to help my mother out and clean up their basement and garage for her,   man I  went through the basement and garage and got rid of truckloads of stuff, only to have it filled back in with her stuff  !

• 3 weeks later...

I have a box of music CDs that I will probably never listen to any more, as I have a Napster account............... They carry almost anything you could want to listen to...... :)

We sold about 500 CDs on Craigs list for 180.00. We felt glad to get it. The DVDs are next. Going all digital.

Both my wife and I are close to the same about saving stuff. We save almost nothing... except my car model stuff and stuff the kids made. (That includes plastic packaging I think I might use.)

My Grandfather was different. He was a merchant marine. When he died, they went upstairs and found it was packed to the gills with stuff. Many multiples including new tool sets. They had enough coins from all over the world to fill a cooler size water bottle. My brother sorted it and sold it. I think it brought a few thousand, but I am not sure. 

Edited by Scott Colmer

I don't have a problem tossing useless carp, but I don't buy much useless carp anyway. And a lot of what most people probably think of as useless, I find ways to repurpose or recycle. I put a 52 year-old carburetor on my '89 truck when the electronic fuel injection quit entirely (and is no longer supported). I machined the adapter plate from a piece of 1/2" aluminum scrap. My whole-house motion detector system is based on sensors rescued from outdoor lights that were thrown away by somebody else. Etc.

I haven't bought tires for 30 years (other than for my heavy trailer) because I used to save good-tread takeoffs. Stored cool, dry and in the dark. Just put a pair on the back of the same truck. Almost new tread, no dry rot.

I don't get rid of tools. I recently needed some special Jag engine tools I haven't used in 40 years. They were right there in my tool box, just like old friends. Still worked, too. Amazing. Or books. I have shop manuals, electronics and engineering texts and crash books from the 1930s to the present. Not much tech info I can't put my hands on pretty quickly...even if Google goes down permanently.

I don't get rid of music just because the format may be "obsolete" either. I have vinyl, I have CDs, I have reel-to-reel...and even some cassettes...and top of the line playback systems for all of it. I don't see any logical reason to replace it when it all works and sounds just like it did new.

Old car parts? Most of my old stuff is SO old now that it's actually worth a lot more than I paid for it. Try buying 1970s 911 and 914 Porsche engine and gearbox parts these days. I sure wish I'd bought all those flathead Ford engines I passed up for scrap-metal prices though.

I compost coffee grounds and much household garbage, take the cans, glass and plastic to the recycling center, and use old junk mail for masking material.

But...one project scheduled for after the first of the year is to go through everything and get rid of the stuff I'm pretty certain I'll never, ever need. Anybody want a pair of brand-new '84 Volvo taillights? Or a 2005 Chevy Impala rear door shell, in primer, OEM? How about a Lamborghini Espada cylinder head?

And probably when I die, some history-challenged little idiot will pile all my virtually irreplaceable "useless old carp" in a dumpster. But at that point, it's not my problem.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Good to hear when you're not alone, and that lots of you guys have issues with getting rid of stuff.

A new chapter has started with the wife and myself.  Maybe more furniture to clutter up the basement and attic coming up?

A few years back, the wife thought a "sleep couch" would be a good idea for guests to sleep on for overnight visits.  Great.

The folks that used to visit, then stay overnight have in the meantime passed away.  Relatives and such.  Also, this so called sleep couch is in my study, the place where I build at home.

The couch sucks.  Has from the very beginning.  Uncomfortable to sit on, not much better to sleep on.  So, we're getting a new type deal.  A 2 seater couch recliner, now this thing is comfortable!  Electric too for tilting.  Good thing.

The old couch....well, she wants to save it!  No way!  The thing looks good, but is uncomfortable. 

What do I need more unused junk sitting around for nothing but taking space up that can be used otherwise.  I told her sell it for $50 and be happy.

No one bites though.

My 2.5 car garage would only hold one car. Three pick-up truck trips tot he dump and I may get two in it. Thousands of magazines went in one load. (recycle bin at dump) Real car, model car, model train etc etc since no one wanted them for free. I hope I don't regret purging that many magazines someday. 

Some items were Dad's estate stuff...old broken tools etc......kept holding on to them.....but figured it was time to let go.