Model Cars Magazine Forum

The First 1965 Mustang 427 SOHC - Dick Brannan

johnwitzke

Nice looking SOHC, is that a Ross Gibson resin? I missed out on them, my fault!

On the actual 1:1 SOHC Mustangs from back then, the springs towers were removed entirely. The springs also. There was a half of a leaf spring that went from the lower A-arms to the front crossmember of  the sub frame. It was a flakey looking affair but held up fairly well. That opened the engine bay for anything Ford had at the time.

On the later street Boss 429, they reduced the spring towers and moved them outward to get the Boss 429 into the street car. I drove one at Tasca Ford in Rhode Island and really could tell how front heavy the car was. A salesman told me to drive the Boss 302, which I did and it was a pleasure to drive and handled quite well for that time period.

Anyway, keep up the work on the Mustang, looks like a great project and subject.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I've been playing around with a similar project off and on for a while now. Have the teardrop hood in my Modelhaus order.

I'm thinking of doing it either in plain white (perhaps with just the Competition Proven decal on the front fenders), or in plain Poppy Red, i.e., Gas Ronda's car before lettering.

Thanks, This was a really cool car as only two were built by DST, the red car of Brannan's and a white car retained by Ford for testing.  The white car was used a template for the others that were built by Holman-Moody.  Based on photos of the real car, I plan to remove the shock towers completely to replicate the real car.  This will open up additional room. 

BTW I have two RG SOHC 427 engines.  I am glad I bought both of them when the were readily available.

Edited by johnwitzke

Actually, according to Mr. Brannan, the rear axle was not reposition (or moved forward 3") on his car (Goldfinger), the first of two built by DST.  The rear axle was in it's stock position.  The only modification was to the rear wheel well to accept larger slicks.  So if anyone is building this particular Mustang, the rear axle should be left in it's stock position.  That is from the original owner who was involved with the creation of this car.  

Edited by johnwitzke

Here are a couple of pics on the front end setup on the early SOHC Mustangs.

SSDI20NOV6520BRANNON20MUSTANG20F.jpg

SSDI20OCT6520PHIL20BONNER20E20copy.jpg

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much weight was either added, or removed from the sub frame with this type of modification, to fit the larger engine? This could very well be THE first tubular sub frame that replaced the OEM one. Probably the additional weight of the engine was traded off for the savings on the tubular replacement.

I like this project.

As a kid, this was the 1st car I made as an AFX model, back in the day.  I was 14 or so.   Completely bashed the kit.  Painted gold, it had an altered wheelbase and the interior was done with smooth cardboard that looked a lot like an aluminum sheet deal.  The motor was placed further back,  more under the windshield with the injector stacks popping up from the hood.  Just like the pics shown on the great SS&DI magazine.  Man was that a great treat to buy that magazine every time it came out!!!!

I really liked the Ford AFX cars, there were some in my area that I'd seen running, way back when.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much weight was either added, or removed from the sub frame with this type of modification, to fit the larger engine? This could very well be THE first tubular sub frame that replaced the OEM one. Probably the additional weight of the engine was traded off for the savings on the tubular replacement.

The torsion bar setup was not used to reduce weight, but rather to enable the engine to fit.  NHRA FX rules did not permit a tubular subframe and never did....factory chassis had to be used

I have been busy modifying the engine compartment.  I removed the shock towers and battery.  I will post up pictures once finished

Looking forward to seeing them. I might follow your lead on my own project. I couldn't quite make out what was going on in the pics posted above.