Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Brannan's 1962 Super Stock & Lightweight Galaxie's

johnwitzke

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the two 406 Super Stock engines for Brannan's 1962 Galaxies.  Both are still under construction, needing wiring, belts, other accessories, etc.  The 406 6V is for his dark blue Super Stock and the Dual 4bbl is for his light blue lightweight Super Stock.  The 406 valve cover decals are custom done

brannan 406.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Looking nice. Love the old Fords!!! One thing though, and I just had this same problem with my 66 Fairlane. The carbs are backwards. The primaries are on the rear of the carbs, and the diaphragm that actuates the secondaries should've on the passenger side of the carbs. On the Fairlane, they attach with the tabs. I just sanded the tabs off and switched them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Experimenting  with a possible display for my two Dick Brannan 62 406 Super Stock Galaxie's.  I also have a lightweight label that was originally in the glove box of the 62 lightweight for his light blue car.  I plan on mounting these on a wood base.  Doing this for the 2017 IPMS National.

I plan to have a similar base planned for Brannan's 63 lightweight too.    

62 406 Display.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly making progress.  Adding some body color to the underbody red oxide primer.  The light blue (Baffin Blue) is for the #823 lightweight car and the dark blue (Oxford Blue) is for the all steel #717 car.  Front wheel wells still need to be black.  Also wheels and tires for the #717 Oxford Blue car.  Engines are almost competed and will post photos when complete.

underbody (2) (1024x838).jpg

717 Wheels (2) (1024x978).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Strike that!!! I AM WRONG! After looking at some pics, they are suppose to be that way. Does anybody know why they are set up this way on the Ford engines???

The 4160 Holley carbs are mounted backwards on the FE's for one reason and one reason only.
If the were mounted the normal way you woun't have any room left for the distributor as the metering plate on the 4160's are on the primary side, the secondary side has no metering plate and are shorter so if you turn them around backwards you will have just enough room so the distributor can fit in the normal place...that's why.

I just love the Starliner kits as you get all these engine options, with the 2 'n 1 kit you can do 1 X 4bbl, 3 X 2 bbl and 2 X 4 bbl, short and long cast iron headers, oval air cleaner for 2 X 4 and 3 X 2, "Thunderbird" stock valve covers and a couple of plated ones...so you can do all FE HiPo engines available (352HP, 390HP, 406 and 427) from 1958 to 1964 with what's in the kit.

Edited by Force

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2016 at 12:28 AM, johnwitzke said:

Slowly making progress.  Adding some body color to the underbody red oxide primer.  The light blue (Baffin Blue) is for the #823 lightweight car and the dark blue (Oxford Blue) is for the all steel #717 car.  Front wheel wells still need to be black.  Also wheels and tires for the #717 Oxford Blue car.  Engines are almost competed and will post photos when complete.

underbody (2) (1024x838).jpg

717 Wheels (2) (1024x978).jpg

John, my complements on the quality of your work here and on the other lightweights.

I'm fitting a Starliner chassis to a '64 Galaxie. I have the rear floor pan notched similar to what you have shown. It looks like I will need to shorten the frame and the gas tank to fit. Has this been your experience in building these cars?

Hi Frank,

Since that photo was taken I started using the 1960 Starliner floor pan and chassis with some modifications.  Those floor pans are from the MCW resin kit.  Basically I shorten the ends of the chassis (bumper attachments) also I has to file the rear quarter sides of the floor pan as it is too wide.  I took off a little at a time, test fitting until I got the results I was looking for.  The gas tank is in the original location no modification.  You will also need to modify the transmission hump so that the interior tub sets flush.  I use the lightweight interior from MCW for my 1963 lightweights.  The MCW interior tub will also work in a 1964 lightweight.  I also had to filed the bottom of the interior tub transmission hump.  If you do not do this the two will not set correctly.  

I will also use the 1960 Starliner chassis and floor pan on my '62's      

63 Brannan Chassis (768x1024).jpg

63 Brannan Chassis 2 (768x1024).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Glad to help.  Just file a little at a time, keep test fitting until it fits properly and you will be fine.  

My next '63 lightweight that I am working on will have more detail than the this one.  I learned with this one and what to improve upon......as they say the next one is better than the last

Edited by johnwitzke