Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to remove decals without damaging the paint

How cured is the paint? Rubbing alcohol, not the 90%+ stuff for stripping, but the 70% stuff with take decals off without damaging the paint, just wash when done as not to chance any damage to the paint. If the paint is fresh, it might be a gamble. I just dampen a cloth with my finger behind the spot and rub the alcohol on the paint to remove the decal. I also do this when I darken panel lines and need to remove excess paint from the body panels. 

David

There are several ways, any of which might work, or none might.

1. Scrape off with a fingernail.

2. Soak off in water.

3. Apply tape over, and yank it off.

4. A decal setting solution, or rubbing alcohol might do it, but test on the paint first, as these can damage some kinds of paint.

5. Wet-sand and then polish it off.

Some are easy, some are difficult, some are impossible. There are no guarantees.

Floquil makes a product named "Easy Lift Off" for removing decals.  But it will also remove paint if you use too much of it.

I used to have some Floquil ELO, but haven't used it in years.  I mostly do the "Apply tape over and yank it off" that Snake mentioned. 

..........I use the tape and pull method, but, that does not always yield the result wanted. keep in mind that even when this method works, if the removed decal was of quality and had plenty of adhesive under it, that too may leave a gray area that now needs to be polished or somehow removed as well. another way that I have found will work is to use Solvaset decal solution, but thinned down 50/50 with warm water. it takes patience and a watchful eye as not to apply too much until the decal starts to soften. it can affect some paints, so be careful here. best I can offer, but over the many years I have removed tons of decals and usually had a 75/25 average of good results.....good luck, hope some of this helps you.......best, the Ace....^_^