Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 65 Chevy pickup

Working on the revell 65 Chevy step side kit today and got thinking I'd like to build a flat bed or wrecker body for it, however I'd like it to have dually rear wheels but I'm not sure where to start on that? Has anyone done this before and what wheels/tires did you use? Thanks

Shaun

Edited by ShaunCN

If you can find one, the Welly '53 Chevy tow truck has correct for stock wheels. They're the 18" split rim option. It also has a reasonably accurate bed, though it is more of a '50s style. If you go that route, you will want to make sure you get the Welly and not the Jada. While they are very similar, the Jada has oversized wheels that are not very accurate.

Another option for the wheels, if you can find them, would be the Modelhaus Vintage 1 ton Dual wheel set, which is correct for the 17.5" single piece wheel option that started around 1955. Unfortunately, they are no longer being made. On the bed, if you want to go a tow truck route, would be to use the bed from the Midnight Cowboy, which would go very well with the '60s Chevy body.

For factory stock, you will need to stretch the frame for the longer wheelbase, 133" for the 1 ton dual wheel  truck. The rear suspension would also need to be changed to leaf spring. Unfortunately, there isn't a source for the Eaton HO72 axle that's accurate, but the rear from the Miss Deal kit is pretty close in basic shape and size to fake it. The front suspension would need to be raised a little bit too to get the stance right. The transmission should really be changed as well, the only source I know of for the correct SM420 are the old MPC '68-'72 Chevy kits, but the TH400 was available in 1 tons that year if you wanted to go automatic.

Here's a source with the dimensions and all options for 1965. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevrolet-Trucks/1965-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf