Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri Volvo VN 780/ VHD84F200 conversion

Ok, that answers my question. Do you know if there are any differences between the VN and VHD cabs? I know the hoods are different. 

The VN series came out in 96, not sure what versions that included, but the 780 has only had minor changes in fender mounted mirrors since then and a new frt bumper in 2016.

Terry, the difference between the vnl daycab and the vhd looks to be in the rocker area under the door and the lower cowl /fender panel.  commercialtrucktrader has some real good side views of both. Also some good hood shots. the vhd would make a tuff looking log truck, go for it!

Thanks for your help. I saw a brand spanking new VHD mixer a few days ago, and its begging to be built. I figured Id grab the Italeri kit and start chopping away. I just wanted to make sure that the cab is close enough to modify. 

Ok here are the facts as close as can remember. 96 to 02 volvo built the vnl 200 (4x2) vnl300 (6x4) vnl 610 midroof vnl 660 small condo vnl 770 big condo. In 03 they were redesigned with new hood etc daycabs kept same model numbers and sleepers are vnl 630 vnl 670 vnl 780. Also offered are a short hood version in day cab and sleeper models called the vnm most sold as daycabs with very few sleepers. Dart transits volvos are vnm's. The vhd has it's own hood with the basic Volvo daycab but is different underneath as it is a vocational chassis. The vnl430style  single bunk is the only sleeper offered on the vhd. A better option to build a vhd might be starting with a resin daycab conversion for the 780 kit. Volvo also builds a special model for auto hauling the vah 300 430 and 630. The hood is similar to the vhd with a chopped top cab and low profile chassis.

I searched and couldnt find any resin daycab, unless you know of one. It wont really be a big deal to turn the kit into a daycab. I really just wanted to make sure that things like shape of windsheild, shape of doors, cab width, etc were in the ballpark before I jump in. Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. 

Thanks for all of the help guys. I checked out GWs cab and before I drop the cash, Im gonna give it a shot. I already have to scratchbuild the hood, so I might as well go for it. The good news is, the back wall of the sleeper is also the daycab back wall. 

the window cutout is already there also. That just leaves the roof.