Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt freightliner cab corrections

What year model are you aiming for Sam? As far as I can tell there are, like on most trucks, there are several variations of what you are asking about.

On the rivets, other than being slightly big, the angled seem under each windshield is not completely accurate.

The single headlights were an option for a long time along with the dual on the same years. I've seen the dual as far back as the 60's and I think the singles went into the 80's.

The AMT headlights are slightly high. Compare to fenders and step pockets in photos of 1:1.

There are quite a few variations of fenders, some rounder than others, some with a step pocket. there were a few step variations as well.

After 73 there were even variations in the door shapes on the same year models.

I have a ton of freightliner pictures if you need some reference, let me know.

There was a thread here before showing the roof of a 1:1. Basically there are way too many rivets and seams. I think it should only be one seam. Ill try to find the thread. Your better off sanding the whole cab smooth and re-adding rivets later. It too hard to get all of the panels aligned evenly with out sanding the whole cab anyhow. The panel lines are way too pronounced. They should be sanded smooth and scribed. The roof panel line was sticking out about .050 on a cab I was working on recently. 

I would have thought some resin caster would have offered a correction/conversion for the headlamps for us less creative builders like me...

Ive wondered the same thing. The have been many Peterbilt cabovers copied in resin just to have bigger or smaller sleepers. There are a lot of variations that can be done with this FL cab. Single, double headlights, round fenders, different cab steps, square doors, rounded doors, rear windows, etc. 

I would have thought some resin caster would have offered a correction/conversion for the headlamps for us less creative builders like me...

X2! I believe there is a significant market for an earlier resin version cab too, mid 60's would be perfect.  The  Freightliner has the same problem as the California Hauler,  AMT introduced these kits 5 years too late. Luckily, the less creative builders were given the narrow nose conversion by the good visionary people in the hobby.

Edited by leafsprings

if you want to back date it,round stepless lower cab panels will need to be fabricated.The kit is a "high mount" 61 series and a back dated "low mount" would be about 3 inches lower.These low mount cabs don't have the grill below the main grill ,but rather a solid panel.I started a low mount and made new frame hinges that are lower.Not sure if that right or its in the cab to make it lower.Then the front name plate will have to be changed.The kit has a frontal air intake with a grill.A back dated frontal air intake would have holes on either side of the "coat hanger "shaped emblem with out the grill part.Or just use the grill less emblem and fabricate a intake like most cab overs have.The kit lights are too high and a 2 or 4 lamp system would be totally up to you. The rivets like most amt trucks are too big.If your a real detail freak there should be 3 ribs on the door and a rubber around the peep window.It was mentioned the angle panel on the front is incorrect.It is correct for a sever service cab.Freightliners were a totally custom built truck ,anything could and was done ,so in all reality the incorrect headlight location could be correct if the truck was ordered that way