Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full detail '16 Camaro kit #948?

horsepower

Bought one in red today at Nankin Hobby in Farmington Hills, MI.  

Most of you have already seen my in-depth review of this kit, bur for the few that haven't, click on this link for 45 images of all the kit parts, with captions and commentary on this kit that, I think, will be viewed as a major breakthrough in the years to come....TIM .DSC 0361  

Thanks guys, guess the local plastic pusher forgot he was going to call when they came in and it's been a couple of weeks since I have been through looking for a fix. Time to pay a visit, and I knew I shouldn't have looked at Tims review again, I am really having a hard time waiting until he opens now, gotta buy, gotta buy! 

I'm sure alot of the molds for both kits are the same. I have the snap infront of me and the brake discs, as seen in the last photo of the glue kit attached to the engine tree are actually on their own separate tree in the snap kit. The detail is the same, my guess is that the mold small disc tree from the snap kit can be added other molds from the glue kit to make one big mold. Just a guess tho.

David

Kind of interesting that the last picture shows all of the detail parts for the full detail chassis, AND the chassis for the snap kit curbside on the same parts tree. Confused yet? ??

I call that an opportunity to build a curbside and save the entire drivetrain for a different project!

I call that an opportunity to build a curbside and save the entire drivetrain for a different project!

The curbside chassis is NOT in the glue kit. The poster said that shot was from Wayne, NJ which where the NNL East is held and it's a test shot of the tooling, which as others have mentioned is all cut at the same time and then chopped up/gated off as necessary for each particular variant.

One thing seeing the test shot reminded me of from looking at my kit is I like how no one is saying "Boo" about the driveshaft being molded to the chassis. Is that one of those major breakthroughs, adopting Japanese curbside molding techniques?

I was going to say that one of the more noteworthy aspects of this tooling is that it revives the practice, last seen in the '90s, of AMT sharing significant amounts of tooling between full-detail and simplified versions, this time perhaps weighting the compromise toward a more complicated snapper than to a simplified glue kit.

It's more accurate to characterize the practice as sharing tooling between glue kit tooling and promos, which is how AMT made its bones in the first place - but the snapper seems a bit more complex than your average promotional model.  The body mold isn't any too polished either.

I had bought two.one for my friend for b-day and mine.great looking,,love it . haven't started yet.the two I bought are both white.I'm going to have to chasr down factory stock colors for interior and exterior. and see what performance parts can be added to it.I'm excited to start,but to many projects going now

my friend wants to paint his sapphire blue.

what are you'll's plans on your camaro's............Chris

2016 Camaro.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...