Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #225 Finished

I knew it had Triumph heritage as soon as I saw the rear quarters.

Exactly. I thought it was an Italian-bodied TR4, but couldn't find it that way. Resorted to image-lookup and found it was on a TR3 chassis. Never woulda thunk...  :D

Image result for triumph TR3

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It looks like the production of the Italia 2000 pre-dated the TR4 but (to me) certainly looks like a direct influence to the final shape of the TR4 while still keeping the Triumph identity in the grille area which would passed down from the TR3.

I find myself wondering if the designers of the Italia 2000 got upset when they saw the TR4 released to the public.. like "Hey man, you ripped off our design...hows about a little credit?"

Edited by blunc
additional thoughts

It looks like the production of the Italia 2000 pre-dated the TR4 but (to me) certainly looks like a direct influence to the final shape of the TR4 while still keeping the Triumph identity in the grille area which would passed down from the TR3.

I find myself wondering if the designers of the Italia 2000 got upset when they saw the TR4 released to the public.. like "Hey man, you ripped off our design...hows about a little credit?"

Seems like I read somewhere that Triumph liked the Italia so well they went to the designer who did the Italia to draw the production TR4 styling as well.